• This topic has 33 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by juan.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • quote: ‘its like parkour for bicycles’ !?!?!!
  • meikle_partans
    Free Member

has this happened to anyone else due to the danny mc youtube sensation(TM)?: non-biking friends have been rushing to talk to me about the danny mc video and to a man they all describe it as ‘parkour for bicycles’

no, matey, its not parkour for bicycles its a mix of trials and street riding and people have been doing it for years and years longer than people have been doing parkour. the whole thing about parkour was it was like skateboarding and bmxing and biking but without all the expensive equipment. its been doing my nut in, and theres no way to explain it to them without sounding like a pedantic nutjob.

in other exciting news my wife thought he was doing it on a fixed gear.now that really would be impressive.

scuttler

Calm down, calm down. We’re not all experts at everything. There might be times when you’ve ignorantly participated in the discussion of another subject or activity with an expert who politely nodded whilst thinking you were a clueless eejit.

Besides, these things always evolve. Mountain biking used to be just mountain biking, and trials used to be trials. What’s the betting that the enthusiasm for Danny et al’s activities inspires more people to do it and in the process create a whole new genre above and beyond ‘street-riding’. Could call it parkour-on-a-bike 😉

It’ll get banned soon anyway.

fennesz
    Free Member

I dunno. Sounds like a good way to describe it to me.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Trials? Did I miss some tricks he did on the courthouse?

meikle_partans
    Free Member

can i just say at this point that it isnt actually ‘doing my nut in’. in reality it mildly peeved me at one point last night.

andywhit
    Free Member

>Trials? Did I miss some tricks he did on the courthouse?

<whispers> Trials is the correct term for all that hippety-hoppety stuff.

glenp
    Free Member

Funnily enough that is exactly the phrase used here at work – and a very good description too.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Its exactly the same phrase someone used to describe it to me, i’m just happy people have been impressed by it rather than ranting that it is defacing civic property.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Maybe they’re getting it from here:

Death-Defying Stunt Video is Like Parkour for Bikes

momentum
    Free Member

It’s a phrase that occurred to me while watching it. I thought the combination of very techy stuff with some pretty big stuff was quite similar to parkour.

epicyclo

Well, it’s just like mountainbiking, we used to call it cycling, or rough stuff 🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Well it’s understandable that someone who has never seen street or trials riding would reference something else they’ve seen to compare or explain something which is new or different to them.

If a yank had never seen rugby you would understand if he said it’s like NFL crossed with soccer or some other arrogant retarded statement.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

You say ‘parkour’ and peeps know what you mean.

You say ‘a bit like trails mixed with a bit of street and some DJ moves thrown in for soem added gnar’ and peeps a) think you’re a tosser and b) get bored before you’ve finished speaking.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No I don’t.
    What it is please?
    I thought he’d made a spelling mistake, TBH

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Oh dear Pete, you’re hopelessly out of touch with popular culture 🙄

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

anotherdeadhero

You say ‘a bit like trails mixed with a bit of street and some DJ moves thrown in for soem added gnar’ and peeps a) think you’re a tosser and b) get bored before you’ve finished speaking.

Nope, someone says “it’s like parkour for bikes” no doubt attempting to appear to be the office sage guru of extremeness.

If you say “it’s bike trials mixed with street both of which predate parkour and influenced it” then you instantly gain office cred and no doubt will get a steady supply of offers of sex from sexy female colleagues whilst parkour boy quietly rages at his own lack of coolness. I’m sure of it.

TheGingerOne

I have no idea what ‘parkour’ is.

Do they mean that french thing where they run about jumping lots?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

TheGingerOne

I have no idea what ‘parkour’ is.

Do they mean that french thing where they run about jumping lots?

So you do know what it means. Why would you lie to us? Are you attempting to be even cooler than cool by pretending not to know what a cool thing is so you can be casually disinterested by such silly things (all the while fully aware of what it was but not wanting to be seen to know as that would alert people to the fact that you are sad)?

samuri
    Free Member

that french thing where they run about jumping lots?

French Parliment?

TheGingerOne

No, I just guessed.

On reflection, my grammar and sentence construction was poor and misled you.

I should have said that I have never heard of the word ‘parkour’ and then asked whether my assumption of what it is, was correct :-).

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

TheGingerOne

No, I just guessed.

Pretty amazing guess. Got any picks for the euromillions tonight?

sam42
    Free Member

Their opinions don’t matter, they don’t ride.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh dear Pete, you’re hopelessly out of touch with popular culture

And?
    😉

So what is it then? Dancing? Mincing?

TheGingerOne

Not that amazing a guess really was it?

Parkour was unlikely to relate to playing football with a massive ball using elephants.

It had to be something fairly similar in concept that the general public would be faintly aware of, I just never knew it had been renamed.

Oh, the joys of sarcasm 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

So what is it then? Dancing? Mincing?

Dancy mincing pretty much sums it up.

Think riding street on a skateboard, only without the skate board and Alladin’s flight across the roof tops, you’re pretty much there.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

TheGingerOne

Not that amazing a guess really was it?

Yeah it was. Take credit where it’s due.

bigyinn
    Free Member

so “parkour” = freerunning?
    And like PP im so uncool im actually V cool? lol

onewheelgood

No one has commented on the OP’s last paragraph – I don’t see how Danny could pull some of those moves on anything except a fixed wheel – particularly the riding backwards bits.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Think riding street on a skateboard, only without the skate board and Alladin’s flight across the roof tops, you’re pretty much there.

Free running then?
    😕

I was close with mincing wasn’t I?
    🙂

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

onewheelgood – Member

No one has commented on the OP’s last paragraph – I don’t see how Danny could pull some of those moves on anything except a fixed wheel – particularly the riding backwards bits.

I think you might need to watch it again.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Yeah PP, ‘free-running’ worked well until the BBC started using it in their between program linkers things. Then they had to find a more up market term.

finbar
    Free Member

MBUK invented parkour years ago, they called it “street running” though 🙂

longweight
    Free Member

He only pedals backwards because a standard freewheel forces you to rotate the cranks backward. He is very good at keeping his momentum going through his moves. Its brilliant how much attention this one video has received and he does do some new stuff but the general street/trials movement was started with bmx and has been building over the last ten or so years

juan
    Free Member

is parkour/free running the yamakasi stuff?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘quote: ‘its like parkour for bicycles’ !?!?!!’ is closed to new replies.