Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • It's been a while… Barn conversion advice!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I’ve not frequented STW for a good while now but I’m back asking unmanly questions.

My partner and myself have been given the good fortune to convert a old cottage / barn in Scotland with a shoe string budget.

Because it’s classified as a cottage it doesn’t need planning permission except for structural stuff like knocking in new windows (I believe). However calling it a cottage will be very generous. It’s got a single light bulb in there that’s run from the electrics from the main farm house near by.

My question is how do I go about getting an accurate(ish) budget for the conversion. What things are going to kick me in the ass? I’m thinking getting a mains supply in could be the biggest… septic tank / electrics the other.

All the internal stuff I’d image will be fairly easy to plan – I’m lead to believe the roof is in good condition and as long as there is no major damp issues – should this be fairly straight forward with a lot of hard graft?

My other admittance is that my partner is actually the more manly and she’s built a chalet over Summer and has converted a apartment before so I’m just doing my keyboard warrior bit as she’s not a big planner and I fret too much!

Anything to consider – throw it over please!

konagirl
    Free Member

Sounds exciting!

Yes, getting water and electric connected is a cost to consider, but your supplier should have a fixed cost, it will be easy enough to find online or by phoning their connections team. Sewerage: can you not connect into the farm’s septic system and get a legal agreement about maintenance etc? Or do you want to be completely independent? Similarly another cost is heating. Is it small enough to use a wood stove / back boiler set up with electric for back up or do you want / need the convenience of central heating. If so, can you share oil / LPG with the farm or does it need to be independent.

I would personally put a lot of effort into planning the heating / insulation aspect, as retrofitting is a nightmare. If you have limited space, good insulation will cost more but is worth it in the long-run. I would think your internal building materials and first fix materials costs would be the bulk of the expense but it depends on size I guess.

And whatever your budget is, add 20% contingency. Simple things can become a big issue, like head room – if you find you have to dig down to make the building work as a dwelling, especially if you want 2 storeys or a mezzanine level.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘It's been a while… Barn conversion advice!’ is closed to new replies.