• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Its a risky business
  • torihada
    Free Member

Packing gear for a week’s riding in the Alps got me thinking: the precautions we take and how we make those choices.

There are constant threads and topics of riders asking for advice on what protection to wear, be it for the Alps, the Lake District or leafy lanes & XC rides. I’ve participated in a few threads myself and heated debates ensue. Among of our group of riders you’ll often hear the same old questions flying around before a trip to somewhere new; “What pads are you taking?”, “Are you taking four full face?”, and as I’ve packed my bags this week, with an assortment of pads and helmets to choose from I’ve been asking myself these same questions, and even asking fellow riders for advice.

I then realised that this is the wrong approach. Its no good me asking someone else what to wear, what I need to do is ask myself the following question; “How much risk am I prepared to take?” I think this question is at the heart of the mtbing experience. We all take risks and hope to keep those risks in balance with the rewards; the adrenaline rush, the sense of achievement, whatever motivates you to get on the bike and ride. So when it comes to protection I look at my two piles of gear; the full on DH uplift uniform and the peddling friendly pads and helmets and the choice I have to make is how much risk am I prepared to take. There’s no magic answer, we all ride differently, have different skills and different levels of risk perception.

So I’ve found it liberating to put the question back to myself, rather than endless searches for information and other users experience, because in the end its all going to come down to that pivotal moment when you’re out there on a trail or a mountain and you have to decide whether its all worth the risk.

Onzadog
    Free Member

On holiday, I’m the same rider, on the same bike, riding similar stuff in the same way. The hills might be bigger so the decents longer but I’m not suddenly riding in ways I’ve never ridden before. Therefore, I ride the same kit on holiday as I do at home. Thinking too much about “what if” can become a self fulfilling prophesy.

lovewookie

yes.

totally agree.

it’s very easy to get caught up with group mentality of trying something new, but if you’re not feeling your best, maybe the best decision is based on knowing your limits at that time.

certainly if I was planning a holiday I’d not take uncertain risks at the beginning of it. for one, you’d pay a lot of dosh to sit in a hospital for a few days.

then of course it’s factoring the impact on your job and ability to work.

It’s a risky sport, and what risks we take should be based solely on how we feel and how we perceive the benefits of taking the risk, be that for improvement, enjoyment, kudos or whatever, weighed up against the impact of if it all goes a bit squirrely.

Onzadog, yeah, it’s about being comfortable with your ability, as you would on home trails.

DT78
    Free Member

I take full body armour get my eye in riding the dh bike and faster trails / more descending than normal, then by about day 3 just wear the full face. It is always roasting in the alps and I find it massively uncomfortable wearing armour. I’d always take it, it is better to have the option of wearing or not.

Then again I never intentionally get more than a few feet off the ground. I chat myself when I accidently hit a pretty big red gap at chatel just wearing a helmet. Somehow I landed, more luck than skill. Sometimes the unexpected happens, or you just make a mistake, then that armour would be really useful

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Its a risky business’ is closed to new replies.