Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • IT Types – VGA Dead or Dying?
  • P-Jay
    Free Member

I know a couple of us work in the IT industry.

Anyone else hearing that VGA is dying off? I know it’s not the sexiest of connections, but I’m trying to source a pile of PCs and most of the latest 6th Gen i5 based ones are DVI-D or HDMI only.

I’ve found some HPs with VGA so it’s okay, but I’ve got clients with 100+ VGA only monitors they bought 6 months ago and I don’t want to have to mention graphics cards or changing all the screens unless I have too…

Not to mention the proper PITA issue of all the monitors we can supply that whilst have digital connections, still only come with VGA leads – and it gets expensive when you’re buying in tens or evens hundreds at a time.

GrahamS

I’ve got clients with 100+ VGA only monitors they bought 6 months ago

😯

I hope they got a good price!

(PS your clients are idiots, but you probably knew that)

retro83
    Free Member

oof 😆

andytherocketeer

VGA only?

blimey, are they still 4:3 too, and CRT?

orangespyderman

Yes – VGA has been dropped by chipset manufacturers.

That sounds very, very short-sighted of them 🙁 This has been known about for a number of years (I’ve just checked our product management roadmap has had it in since at least the beginning 2013, stated support to end at the latest 2015, but with iterations of hardware expected to remove the connectors even before that date). They need to fire their product manager, or hire one quickly.

stewartc
    Free Member

You can get monitors with VGA ports only, I would have thought that these input connectors were replaced by DVI-I ports able to support both digital and analogue (i.e. VGA) inputs years ago?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

VGA died ~10 years ago! 😯

stewartc
    Free Member

Who did your clients buy those monitors off?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve got clients with 100+ VGA only monitors they bought 6 months

They obviously have some sort of genius for finding weird hardware – I am sure they will be able to find some graphics cards with VGA outputs. You might want to give them the heads up that Micro Channel Architecture is NOT the way to go.

🙂

simon_g

If only someone made a £6 adaptor that could convert HMDI to a VGA output…

In the last couple of years, only the very cheapest (and not at all cheerful) monitors have VGA only. VGA ports have even been dropped from the Lenovo T-series Thinkpads, which are as “business” and legacy-friendly as it gets.

Now, if only the room projectors would all get updated too, I could finally stop carrying around so many adaptors.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sounds like you need 100+ of these.

jb72
    Free Member

The Lenovo i7’s I recently bought have VGA and Displayport only, no DVI. Does / did anyone ever use Displayport?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Apple 🙂

simon_g

Full-size DisplayPort is commonplace on PC graphics cards, particularly gaming/workstation stuff.

All my portables have mini-DisplayPort these days, some have an HDMI as well.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If only I could find the person who sold them those monitors… oh wait…

Yeah it was me.

Yes they were cheap.

They’re actually very nice.

Bugger.

I will say in my defense that in the grey boring world of business not one single soul gives a monkey’s about connections, well until it becomes a problem.

Actually it’s not the end of the world, we’ve replaced the PC with HP who at least still do VGA (along with DVI, HDMI and display port) and won’t be supplying any more VGA only stuff.

GrahamS

Does / did anyone ever use Displayport?

Yup!

I’ve got 3 monitors hooked up to the desktop PC I’m sat at.

The main one (a pretty new BenQ 27″ job) is on DisplayPort, the second is on USB (via DisplayLink to DVI) and the third is on VGA.

All works very well.

mav12
    Free Member

I am using a laptop with vga monitor using a mini disply port to vga adaptor

footflaps

Pretty sure my work laptop (DELL) only has VGA out. Although the docking station does have some new fangled funny shaped video connectors…

kelvin

Does / did anyone ever use Displayport?

Yes. One monitor is using DisplayPort, the other is HDMI. Haven’t had a computer with a dedicated VGA output for about, er a decade. Or more.

Cougar

Desktop machines? You can get a cheap PCI-E graphics card with a VGA port for next to no money. Just looked at Scan and they’re still knocking out GeForce 210 cards for like £25 and I’m sure there’ll be cheaper to be had.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘IT Types – VGA Dead or Dying?’ is closed to new replies.