Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Should I get an Octavia vrs estate?
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

100k in and it’s time for a new car, going to go up and down the motorway a lot, annual or bi-annual trips to Europe, lug bikes and kit about.
    So looking at nearly new diesel estate cars…
    Would I regret getting a vrs?

Bregante

I haven’t tried the latest one but have driven a few at work up to 5 or 6 hours at a time

I found the seats awful. So no for me.

Other than the seats though, they seem well put together.

So maybe.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I’ve had a new 2014 VRS Petrol Estate since July 2014. I’ve done 50k in it. It’s very comfortable, well equipped, fast but cruisy when required.

I don’t find the seats uncomfortable as mentioned above, far from it in fact.

I’ve had 3 adults, 3 bikes, tools and kit in it to go to the Passporte Du Soleil last year and it was great.

It’s not missed a beat, it’s not had any warranty work done, it’s been faultless.

iainc

I sat in one in the showroom last week. I also sat in a Superb Estate (SEL) which I thought was much nicer – better finishes, seemed more solid.

Haven’t driven either

slackboy

Do you like VAG group cars? (VW, audi etc). If so, you’ll probably like the Octavia.

I’ve got a MK2 VRS estate and it does the job very nicely. Big boot, but you knew that already.

I find it comfy but YBMV

matt_outandabout

100k in and it’s time for a new car,

Not necessarily…100k on motorways is only just broken in…

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve got a Octavia and like it. As someone said, if you like VAG cars then you’ll like it. I personally don’t see the point in the VRS, the 1.4 is fast enough and economical. I wouldn’t get a Diesel though as I hate them.

If I had the money I’d get a Superb.

P-Jay
    Free Member

cbmotorsport – Member

I’ve had a new 2014 VRS Petrol Estate since July 2014. I’ve done 50k in it. It’s very comfortable, well equipped, fast but cruisy when required.

I don’t find the seats uncomfortable as mentioned above, far from it in fact.

I’ve had 3 adults, 3 bikes, tools and kit in it to go to the Passporte Du Soleil last year and it was great.

It’s not missed a beat, it’s not had any warranty work done, it’s been faultless.

Thirsty? I’ve been driving diesels for 10 years, but fancy a petrol for the next one – been looking at a 230 estate, but I’d at least like to think it’ll do 30mpg on the motorway.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I also have the petrol 2014 vrs and long term economy is around 33mpg despite quite a bit of heavyfootedness. On motorway journeys, it’s pretty easy to average 40. Much nicer to drive than the diesel too, only wish I had got DSG version

botk
    Free Member

got an 08 2.0 petrol vrs, had it 5/6 years and never had a single problem, got 100k on the clock now. comfortable, fast enough, space for kids, dog, wife in the boot. id happily buy another and may well do so later this year when i plan to sell this one off.

CountZero

No idea how the seats compare with a standard Octy Elegance, but mine is extremely comfy, I can happily do 130-odd miles without wriggling around, I reckon 200 miles would be just as comfy. I’d expect the VRS to be better.
    I’d love a VRS as my next car, I do tend to drive my Octy like I stole it though… 😀

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mondeo estate

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yes.
    Love my VRS.
    Wil probably swap my Petrol hatchback for a diesel estate sometime this year although the boots on the hatchbacks are massive anyway.
    One of the most comfy cars I’ve ever had too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Gordon lamb have some 0% deals on at the moment.

takisawa2

I’d rather have a base model Superb tbh.
    We have one at work & everybody that’s driven it has commented on what a lovely motor it is. Really nice, unassuming car.

minley1
    Free Member

I have the VRS 2.0TDI DSG Estate, had it since end of July 2014, currently on 52k, due to change in July this year (2year Lease).
    It’s been fantastic, more room than my previous A6 estate, nice engine with plenty of power, very impressed, so much so I’m going to get another.

Superficial
    Free Member

Are they fast?
    Do they have lovely handling?
    Are they highly economical?
    Do they look good?

Let me start by saying I haven’t driven a recent one, much less owned one, so I realise my opinion should hold no real weight. But I’ve been looking at estates recently and I fail to get excited about an Octy. I used to have a Fabia and quite liked that, I’m no badge snob. But I just feel the VRS model is a bit grey, a bit MOR, a bit jack of all trades. I mean I’m sure they’re as nice as the equivalent A4 / Golf / Focus estate but I fail to see what’s so great.

tom200

Superb?

P-Jay
    Free Member

The only problem I can see with the Superb for me (apart from the silly name) is they don’t make a VRS. They used to make a V6 with 4WD, now it’s the 2.0, same as in the VRS petrol but with 4WD, but it’s all pudgy and comfy instead of sporty and I want something sporty next time.

renton
    Free Member

I will let you know what they are like a week on monday.

Ive gone for a petrol 220 estate in quartz grey.

Compared to the MK2 version I test drove the MK3 feels like a step up quality wise.

The seats are very comfy and much better than the seats in the MK2 which I found a bit flat.

As a comparison I currently have a MK4.5 mondeo 2.2 tdci estate and that has averaged 39mpg, on a run down the motorway it would do 45mpg.

A few folk over on the Briskoda website are regularly mid to high 30’s and over 40mpg on a run out of the 220 vrs, if i can get near that I will be happy.

chestrockwell

If you want sporty I’d be looking at the focus st estate rather than the skoda.

renton
    Free Member

I looked at the ST estae aswell and yes its a nice car but isnt as roomy inside and has a smaller boot.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I have an Octavia mk2 FL VRS diesel DSG.

Good. Great gearbox, fairly comfy, ride quality good for 18″ wheels.

Bad. Build quality, MPG not great. Poor paint, condensation.

Unfortunately it’s not on par with 10 year old Mondeo it replaced

nickdavies

I’ve been tempted recentley, liked it but it’s a bit bland. Head says go for the new Passat. The 190 diesel gt has all the kit, power, and has a much better boot.

renton
    Free Member

Its only 40 litres bigger not a massive difference for the money.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Coming from a Subaru WRX Sportwagon to my Skoda, I wouldn’t really say the Skoda is ‘sporty’.
    It would benefit from stiffer springs to make it go round corners better, but this would compromise the comfort levels of the ride.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Hadn’t realised there was an oil burner focus st… However middle position for exhaust means no tow bar so no go…

Looked at the Passat but I’m after nearly new and there isn’t a lot of choice in the 190, and much more expensive, boot is only slightly bigger, although does have a flat lip…

The superb is in a similar position because they have only just come out.

willjones
    Free Member

I would thoroughly recommend buying this one 🙂 About to re-advertise at reduced price £17500 ono.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-skoda-octavia-vrs-estate-20-tsi-petrol-dsg-64-plate

timc
    Free Member

Superb Elegance with the 188 diesel engine (essentially the same as VRS) would be my choice for high mileage like yours, vrs might be a bit tighter on country roads but the refinement of the superb will be more noticeable on your longer journeys.

agent007
    Free Member

BMW 330d or 335d much nicer than the Octavia. If you like driving then I’d say buy the BMW.

Nico
    Free Member

The only problem I can see with the Superb for me (apart from the silly name)…

Good enough for Rommel:

timc
    Free Member

agent007 – Member
    BMW 330d or 335d much nicer than the Octavia. If you like driving then I’d say buy the BMW.

Completely different price bracket

Superficial
    Free Member

If you like driving you don’t buy a TDI.

To be fair you probably don’t buy a practical family car if driving dynamics are your primary concern.

v8ninety

If you like driving you don’t buy a TDI.

hey, the eighties called, they want their astute car buying tips back 😉
    I ‘like’ driving, and until you get to fancy fast car territory, I find TDs generally more pleasant to drive than their equivelent petrol counterparts. I think it’s something to do with the low end grunt vs high revs neck wringing to get the car moving. YMMV of course, but to say something so sweeping is just silly.

Superficial
    Free Member

With a name like v8, you should know better 😛

mindmap3
    Free Member

I have a 65 plate vRS TDI as a company car and really like it. Yes it’s dull, but so were my other options. It’s brisk enough, has loads of rom, descent level of kit and looks OK in a bland VAG kind of way. I honk the estate is better looking than my hatch. I find it comfy and have done some long trips in it and the economy isn’t too shabby either.

For me the vRS interior is nicer than a standard Octavia; the steering wheel, seats and colours stitching make a dull interior a bit nicer.

The new Superb is a step up inside, but it’s a few years newer. They’re bloody massive though. My vRS feels big enough in modern car parks. I didn’t realise how big the Superb was until we parked my other half’s previous generatio 3 series next to one….our car as totally dwarfed by it!

looked at the ST estae aswell and yes its a nice car but isnt as roomy inside and has a smaller boot.

The ST diesel estate was one of my other options, but I couldn’t get past the questionable looks. They look a bit too ‘yoof’ for me plus the sync two entertainment system hasn’t been out long and is getting slated already. Plus it’s got silly short service intervals that would mean a trip to the garage every five or six months for me.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Well I’ve just popped a deposit down on one…

renton
    Free Member

What you gone for ??

redthunder
    Free Member

What! No Maserati?

redthunder
    Free Member

Man gets fed up with Maserati Ads on STW…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Should I get an Octavia vrs estate?’ is closed to new replies.