Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • IT help please
  • Amos
    Free Member

I’ve got a pc that I built a few years ago with bags of memory, now after getting an iPad and lap top it’s not practical to use so I was wondering if I could you use it as some sort of server? So I can connect the iPad and laptop to it wirelessly and use iTunes and access photos etc.

How tricky is it? I’m not terribly techy so please don’t baffle me with IT terms as I will get very confused! 😉

Any help or suggestions great fully received!

richmars

Yes, very possible, just depends on how much time and money to spend. Just type ‘build a music server’ into google.

dobo
    Free Member

first of all, yea sure its possible, how easy depends on your knowledge and determination. way too time consuming for anyone to give you a step by step on how to do it and not confuse you with jargon and a 100 different way to do it as well.

I use serviio as a upnp/dlna media server which will handle all your music/video/photo

I also use subsonic for a decent music web interface.

Installed on ubuntu server, but doesnt have to be.

have a google as i dont have time to explain as im procrastinating about going for a run in this pissing down rain.

top tip generally wireless sux, make sure your server is conected via cable not wireless, your devices like phones/ipad can still be wireless though.

slight edit, if you want to control all this via itunes then im not sure if this will work, but would never use itunes anyway, too limited

TheBrick
    Free Member

Interesting never herd of serviio or subsonic. What the difference between seviio and subsonic it looks like subsonic acts as a server or am I missing something. How dose this compare to mythtv?

dobo
    Free Member

the brick, thats a good question, im sure the websites will explain better than me but basically id say that serviio streams media via dlna which many hardware devices use these days. dvd players tablets, tv, phones. so yes you need a server and client.

subsonic is a web based streaming application, so is a bit fancier/slicker with album art and browsing etc phone apps are available or you can use tablets/phones/laptops via the web, as far as im aware not useable directly via a tv unless connected through a media pc

never tried mythtv though.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Thaks dobo, just planning on building a media server so getting to grips with the technologies.

satchm00
    Free Member

Is windows media centre any good, not used it myself but thought it might be easier for Amos to setup if it does do what it claims to.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘IT help please’ is closed to new replies.