Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Isle of Wight GPX files / route requests please
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

We’re staying near Brighstone for a week at the start of April. If any kind locals have any gpx files of any good MTB routes I would very much appreciate it. I can repay with off-piste routes in FoD if anyone’s ever up this way! I know there’s been a few threads over the years that I’ve searched but couldn’t find any links to gpx’s or anything.

Thanks in advance, Wilko

wilko1999
    Free Member

Any evening Isle of Wight-ers in?

garage-dweller

Might not help as it’s the route I would do from the mainland and is pretty much linear out and back…

Start at West Cowes join the cycle path to Newport from there Tenyson trail (starts up near carisbrooke castle) and bridleways over to fresh water bay via Brighstone Forest and the descent over the golf course.

Years since I rode it and haven’t got a map to hand to give better directions but if you grab an OS map you’ll work it out.

Scenic ride not a tech fest though.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Drop me an email, you’re stayig in the ideal location, Brighstone Forest is where it’s at!

Tenny is good but as said above very xc, nice views n that though

niksnr
    Free Member

^^^^^^^Same as what Chris777 said. Brighstone Forest is where most locals go. There’s a bit of a battle with forestry commission at mo, but that’s mainly down to building trails with materials not natural to forest. If you’re a Strava user it could be quite productive

aroyalnit
    Free Member

A few years ago I followed a route called the 7 hills killer. Google shows quite a few resources for it. Obviously hilly, but it was a great day out. Think it starts nearish where you’re staying.

Mostly scenic up / down, I remember one section of built MTB skills track that was a bit of fun.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Thanks Dave and everyone else who has emailed, I’m spoilt for choice now, can’t wait to get over there!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Offer applies here too, although I imagine chrishc777 and I will point you at exactly the same stuff (and chrishc777 has been riding a lot more recently than me!)

towzer

what are they like about foot path biking there ?

we were walking there earlier and paths were well signed and were busier than expected.

Going back with bike and my usual approach is to use footpaths (non honeypot ones) to link routes.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If you’re in Ryde area and Im available, I’ll happily take you on a tour of some of the better xc stuff.
    Depends what you’re after. chris777 & PMJ have pointed you the right direction for sure.
    Brighstone forest has some nice forest descents with varying levels of techy / jumpy stuff.
    There are plenty of longer scenic xc rides you can do too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Regarding footpaths, I dont tend to differentiate between riding footpaths, bridleways etc on the Island.
    Its pretty empty and quiet on the Island, so as long as you dont ride like a dick you’ll be fine…..

towzer

any local knowledge – fpath N from Newbridge to Shalfleet – ok ?

ditto fpath E from Five Houses/Sawinston and then up and E to Newport

and any scenic ‘easy surface’ rides as gf will be doing some biking

ta

bigyinn
    Free Member

Newbridge to Shalfleet will probably be ok, its pretty empty around there.
    Swainstone – Newport (Im guessing this is the old railway line), I’ve only ridden this a couple of times and there are notices on some of the access points about no cycling. When I last rode it, it was the middle of the week and didn’t encounter any issues.

For easy surface rides then the old railway line / sustrans route from Cowes to Sandown is pretty easy going. If they want to do some hills then the Tennyson Trail from Carisbrooke to Freshwater is not particularly technical, but there are some steep climbs. The views once you get west of Brighstone are cracking!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Regarding footpaths, I dont tend to differentiate between riding footpaths, bridleways etc on the Island.
    Its pretty empty and quiet on the Island, so as long as you dont ride like a dick you’ll be fine…

I’m probably a little more cautious that Bigyinn as some of the footpaths are well used and pick my times. But, as he says, as long as you aren’t a complete tool then there shouldn’t be a problem.

and any scenic ‘easy surface’ rides as gf will be doing some biking

Riding from the Jubilee carpark in Brighstone Forest out towards Freshwater is all decent quality surface with amazing views. However, it is very hilly and exposed to predominant SW winds, so be warned!

Edit – great minds…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed PMJ, anyone would think we lived here!
    I am cautious to an extent and will avoid certain paths at the busier times of year i.e. summer holidays.
    I’ve been living and riding here for 20 years now and I still find the occasional new trail. I’d like to think I know the path network VERY well indeed.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Just plotted out a Brighstone exploratory route using the dreaded secret trail give-away that is Strava. Segment explore and heatmap are brilliant 😀

niksnr
    Free Member

Segments to look out for – Berlin Wall, Bomber, Baghdad, Ho Chi Minh, Deacons Drop.

That should keep you busy for a bit. Just been out there this morning. Conditions are perfect, although I didn’t do Ho Chi Minh as there’s a bit of tree felling going on near bottom.

Out again from Jubilee Car Park at 9.30 tomoz if you’re over.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Just plotted out a Brighstone exploratory route using the dreaded secret trail give-away that is Strava. Segment explore and heatmap are brilliant

😀

A word of caution – the FC have been harvesting the valley alongside the north/south Calborne road that dissects the forest. The track that drops from the Tennyson Trail bridleway down the northern side of the valley to said road (called Ho Chi Minh) is affected by this. I rode one of the tracks (Deegans Drop) that drops down the opposite southern side of the valley last week and it was unaffected.

Edit:

Out again from Jubilee Car Park at 9.30 tomoz if you’re over.

I’m not out tomorrow, but aim to be out Friday early doors if the weather is OK.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, my route takes in Ho CHi Minh, Deegans Drop, Brighstone singletracks 1 & 2, bomber, quantum leap, bbb and some others that look like they might be trails 🙂 fingers crossed conditions are okay from 2nd to 9th April!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

If memory serves singletracks 1 and 2 are Berlin Wall and Baghdad, although which way round they are I forget.

Ho Chi, Quantum Leap and BBB are all affected by logging at the bottom.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The second part of Baghdad is usually pretty grotty until early summer.
    Berlin Wall is pretty weather resistant though.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The second part of Baghdad is usually pretty grotty until early summer.

Was running nicely on Sun. 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

REALLY? Blimey, usually it takes most of summer to dry out.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Still a few damp sections at the bottom, but with plenty of room around to get by. Bridleways off Brading Down (Alverstone side) were far worse, mainly due to horse passage when wet.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Dont start me on the bloody horseriders round there. EVERY single good trail gets completely destroyed by those selfish bastards!

burko73

Regarding the “battle with the FC” this isn’t the case. The wild (unapproved trails) in brighstone caused a few issues last yr as a good local biker went otb and died on a small jump. The previous yr someone fell off and broke their back.

The wood is leased by the FC and not owned by them. There were a load of “features” in the wood that the FC considered outside of what could be permitted under their guidelines. Some of the built stuff was pretty shoddy and made of pallets and nails or small bolts.

IIRC the ranger there who is pro biking was trying to work with the local riders who were generally on board to agree what the FC could permit and what was off limits. If no agreement can be found and if we keep building big timber features then the landowner might take exception and ask for any biking to be banned. The FC only have rights under the lease with the landowner to grow timber on the land, any access is supposed to be only on rights of way! Any pushing of the issue by riders could result in this informal acceptance of the wild trails being withdrawn.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Horses on Bridleways whatever next !

chrishc777
    Free Member

That was a very unfortunate incident last year, however the jump involved was no larger than a kerb so doesn’t really support the argument about stuff being too big, just the argument that well, shit unfortunately happens… Not saying this changes anything, just a thought.

Anyway Brighstone is wrecked by the weather and huge amount of traffic it’s had over the winter, not helped by the fact it’s hammering it down out there!

So anyone looking to ride there in the near future my advice is stick to Berlin Wall, BBBs and Bomber as they run decently in the wet. Ho Chi and Baghdad ride terribly in the wet and have been ruined enough by people dragging their brakes down them whilst waterlogged. Also, Quantum is completely ruined by the logging activity so not worth doing till rebuilt.

Dogsby

daveatextremistsdotcouk,

How did you manage to get a max speed of 303 mph on that first Garmon track?

burko73

Iirc the jump was a pretty poor stump type kicker. Not an item usually in the professional trail builders arsenal….

Thing was the rubbish built stuff/ crazy stuff will always get found if you build it on someone else’s land. People have got to get smarter about building stuff on other peoples land. Occupiers liability act and all tha means there have to be some rules. The FC are good at listening but people have to understand both sides.

The worrying thing is in Northern Ireland the claims lawyers have started wiseing up to the “designer” under CDM regs being responsible for the structure no matter who’s land it’s on and sueing them first before going for the occupier.

chrishc777
    Free Member

It was a sketchy jump yes, but still very small, the rider was OTB before he even hit the deck. I’ve seen mates get up from much worse, definetly a freak accident. But as you say that’s irrelevant as, if nothing else, it’s drawn attention to other stuff.

The stuff we are building now is well out the way and involves no timber at all, and alot more thought.

So did I read your last paragraph right, lawyers are suing builders of cheeky trails for injuries? Who the hell rides a cheeky trail, hurts themselves and in their right mind thinks they can blame anyone else?!

daveatextremistsdotcouk,

How did you manage to get a max speed of 303 mph on that first Garmon track?

E-bike, chipped of course.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Literally just got back from Brightstone having a short break with the other half, there was some nice looking cheeky stuff ‘over the back of the village’ in a fir plantation, we were on foot but those berms looked lovely.
    I’m sure there must be some strava there. It has a name but I’ll leave that to a local to divulge.
    Some great lamb joints from the mottistone farm shop!

chrishc777
    Free Member

Eating lamb is evil.

The fir plantation you found has some nice stuff, mostly big and steep and drains very well. However it’s all kicking off over there as well as apparently the red squirrels don’t like us hitting the jumps. Allegedly they’re fine with us riding the paths but get scared when we hit gap jumps and road gaps.

I think the digging is causing issues with the wildlife which is fair enough but it was put to me as above by the landowner which I found very amusing

MrSmith
    Free Member

i didn’t see any red squirrels, i blame the freeriders. 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Regarding the “battle with the FC” this isn’t the case. The wild (unapproved trails) in brighstone caused a few issues last yr as a good local biker went otb and died on a small jump. The previous yr someone fell off and broke their back.

Like Chris said – I believe it was a very unfortunate freak accident.

The wood is leased by the FC and not owned by them. There were a load of “features” in the wood that the FC considered outside of what could be permitted under their guidelines. Some of the built stuff was pretty shoddy and made of pallets and nails or small bolts.

I know about the FC leasing the land, as do most riders that I know on the island; I think this is also part of the problem as – to the best of my knowledge – the landowner is not forward in using the land for recreation. Also, having worked with the FC developing trails and timber trail features in the past I have an idea of what they expect. Which bits are you referring to?

IIRC the ranger there who is pro biking was trying to work with the local riders who were generally on board to agree what the FC could permit and what was off limits. If no agreement can be found and if we keep building big timber features then the landowner might take exception and ask for any biking to be banned. The FC only have rights under the lease with the landowner to grow timber on the land, any access is supposed to be only on rights of way! Any pushing of the issue by riders could result in this informal acceptance of the wild trails being withdrawn.

Agreed. I believe the ranger is working with the Island cycle forum, but due to cuts/restructuring now has an enormous patch; I don’t think there’s a permanent ranger stationed on the island anymore (certainly not a recreation ranger). Also most riders/trail builders I know are also aware and sympathetic, and are not building large timber structures. Unfortunately there is always a rogue element which is why I think there needs to be more contact with the FC, which is what I think you’re also insinuating.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Who the hell rides a cheeky trail, hurts themselves and in their right mind thinks they can blame anyone else

The example quoted to me regarding liability came from sailing but applies here too. It might not be the guy who rode the trail who sues but his wife and mother of his children.

Anyway been following this thread with interest and hope to get over from Hamble to the IOW with the bike sometimd

wilko1999
    Free Member

So managed to get a couple of rides in on our family holiday in Brighstone last week. Really enjoyed the riding, Grammars Common (is that the cheeky fir plantation that was mentioned above?) was a good laugh and stayed dry and fast even after rain – loads of lines up there, berms, jumps, gaps etc really well made stuff although some very overgrown, doesn’t look like its ridden much at all. Brighstone Forest itself was also good, and much longer trails although some of it was very muddy and sloppy such as BBB, Ho Chi Minh and Baghdad. Deegans Drop and Berlin Wall were running well though. On the whole had two fantastic rides 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Isle of Wight GPX files / route requests please’ is closed to new replies.