Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Islay. Anyone been is it worth taking the MTB
  • richmtb

Hi Folks

Was planning to go to Islay over Easter. Has anyone been? Is there much there worth riding or should I forget about the bikes and just visit the distilleries instead?

Thanks

Rich

mugsys_m8

There was an article in the magazine about a Staff Whisky/ MTB trip to Islay if I remember right. Would have probably been at least 3 years ago.

dan1980
    Free Member

Not sure how good the biking is, but there’s a tiny bit of info here:

http://www.islayblog.com/2008entries/20080819-mountainbiking.shtml

The stuff on Arran (possibly on the way) is OK, and the track from Goat Fell to the Arran brewery is great fun if you get up early (or late enough) to avoid the crowds coming up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gribs

There’s odd bits but I only found roughish farm tracks rather than anything interesting. A cross bike would probably be quite nice there though. I seem to remember the singletrack article just involved them going to a couple of distilleries rather than any actual mountain biking as the weather was crap.

richmtb

Thanks guys.

I like to take the bikes on the roof whenever we are doing one of our annual “See Scotland” touring trips. It can be a good way of getting to places that would be long or boring to walk to but are wort seeing.

Good example would be when we went to Applecross / Torridon we drove up the Bealach Na Ba and then cycled to the transmission tower at the top of the hill. Gdrove down to Applecross then ditched the car and had a nice cycle through the little coastal settlements near Applecross.

But its a fair old trek in the car out to Kennacraig and then over to Islay. So if there is nothing much to ride on Islay I might just leave the bikes at home rather than listen to them whistling in the slipsteam for four days for the sake of an hours riding.

But if there is plenty to ride and places to explore than its worth taking the bikes.

grum
    Free Member

Islay would be great for road biking – didn’t see much in terms of mountain bikeable stuff. There are some biggish hills on Jura but some of it would be hard going on a bike. Amazing scenery though.

amodicumofgnar

Went about ten years back – mainly did road / track riding. Did a circuit out and round from Port Charlotte area and along the road up Jura to the Gulf of Corryvreckan. Think that is best seen from a RIB but you do go past Barnhill – where Orwell wrote 1984.

tony_m
    Free Member

I go to Islay every year, and personally wouldn’t bother taking an mtb. But it’s a great place for a road / cross / touring bike – there are a few interesting loops which are worth exploring, or just riding for the sheer fun of it. Have a look at the Cycling on Islay page on thewashingmachinepost, there’s also an example route here Rhinns Tour.

gusamc
    Free Member

I did one route, which is no longer on modern OS50,000 it was (IMHO) ok, however last 1ish I think miles were a tussock bog (ie wading but you may be able to divert), and I unclipped on the path when it became somewhat narrow, however pretty sure it was an eagle was scoping me up – bleeding huge. Only recommended if you’re bloody minded and happy to drag.

edit – recommend this http://www.harbour-inn.com/

Hooter
    Free Member

Leave your car on the mainland and just use bikes for getting around? The island is really nice just to pootle around on the roads – and you can visit the distileries without a motor vehicle 🙂

fullauto
    Free Member

Sister lives on islay, so I’m occasionally up there to visit her. I wouldn’t bother with a mtb, it’s pretty flat. Be lovely for a pootle on a road bike or hybrid though.

richmtb

Thanks for the replies.

Think I’ll take the bikes anyway if the weather is nice. I can always do the Firetower trail at Lochgilphead on the way home to spice things up and bicycle transport is handy for visiting distilleries!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Islay. Anyone been is it worth taking the MTB’ is closed to new replies.