Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Is your Iphone waterproof?
  • jam-bo

Mini computers in susceptible to damage shocker.

samuri
    Free Member

You'd think it would be fairly easy to make a splashproof/environment proof phone wouldn't you? The only ingress points are the buttons, the charging point and the earpeice socket. I know you can get all these things for virtually the same price as none waterproof ones.

Of course, Apple wouldn't be able to refuse to repair them then.

GrahamS

Crushproof and Waterproof to 100ft:

http://www.otterbox.com/waterproof-cases/otterbox-3000/

Sorted 🙂

(HTC/Nokia/Sandwiches compatible too)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    northshoreniall

I wrecked a Sony Erricson by having in chest pocket while out walking. Was in waterproof jacket and dry, cold day. Being sweaty git perspiration did same and changed colour sticker thingy so no repair.

jam-bo

You'd think it would be fairly easy to make a splashproof/environment proof phone wouldn't you?

you can, it looks like this:

and that's only IP53 rated.

Limited dust ingress protection
    Protected against water spray < 60 degrees from vertical

joemarshall
    Free Member

There are clear warnings with the iPhone about temperature range and the risk of condensation. As far as a seven year old phone being less susceptible to water, well yes, of course. It didn't have a fancy touchscreen, large amounts of flash memory storage, wifi, GPS…

It's not really so much to do with the technology in it. It's to do with the obsession with making devices as slim as possible. Which means things like having a very minimal headphone socket which is basically a hole directly to the circuit board (unlike older, larger phones), a gigantic dock connector socket, and generally being very poorly sealed to save space.

If you open up an old fat nokia phone, and a modern phone, it is incredible the difference between how packed up the compenents are compared to the older one.

I don't think there's any conspiracy going on here, it is just that phone companies make the major selling point be that it is 0.5mm thinner than the last one, yet has all the same stuff in side, and something has to give.

The only bad thing in this story is that Apple have always been a bit flaky about warranties or manufacturing problems with their stuff*, but like someone said above, due to the desirability, and the way their fans want the latest version, they do probably have a higher than average level of phones 'breaking' just as a new one comes out.

Joe

*the old Macbooks were pretty dodgy

aikon
    Free Member

No water damage here, just take my waterproof phone when cycling running etc (Samsung B2100), I've managed to keep an iPhone 3g for a year & now a 3GS for a year without damaging them, though I did have to warranty the 3GS a month ago due to the rear showing hairline cracks.

igm

If walking into a warm humid house after being outside in the cold or having it sat in the bathroom stuffs an iphone then I think we need togo and re-read the Sale of Goods Act don't we? Satisfactory quality anyone?

highclimber
    Free Member

The point is that there are Iphones out there that have got these sensors activated that are working perfectly. its when the phone breaks down for genuine reasons i.e. not through misuse or water damage, Apple are claiming it is water damage just because these sensors show they have been affected by moisture.

MrAgreeable

I've got a B2100 and it does seem extremely tough, without being a brick like that JVC thing, or totally fragile like my old Nokia Sports phone wiht the peel-back keypad.

It doesn't do most of the things an iPhone does, like letting me check Arsebook or cheat at the pub quiz, but it makes and receives calls, it's a pretty good music player, and the torch is ace. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Is your Iphone waterproof?’ is closed to new replies.