• This topic has 8 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Stu.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Is whinlatter any good?
  • addicted2tailwind
    Free Member

Of to whinlatter soon. So was wondering what it's like? Thanks.

ilikebikes
    Free Member

I rather enjoyed it when I went. superb views from the tops.

Trekster

Seems to depend on where you ride and what your tastes are.
    I did not like it first tim but have been 3/4 times now and it grows on you.Can add on various rides such as the Borrowdale Bash and Blencartha/Lattrigg for those who need more miles.
    Gotta add the blue section, it is fun 😀
    Dodgy when wet

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I was on it last night and treksters right its very slippy in the wet,On the whole its pretty good, with the odd "stopper" and daft off camber turn/hairpin to liven things up.It rides totaly different when its dry,but you need a good front tyre too really get the best out of it.
    Carrying a fast pace is where its at, with either a hard tail or short travel xc bike.I prefer the climbs to the decents at Whinllater,(compared to other Scottish tcs)but to be fair its bedding in well, and its getting some regular tlc,so I think it will Improve with time. 🙂

forge197
    Free Member

I enjoyed it the North and South both different in there appeal, and the blue is worth a go too. Makes a nice mornings ride doing all three.

Ben_Haworth

I like it a lot.

The 7km Blue is ace fun. Worth doing twice.

anc
    Free Member

I was up last night and IMO theres actually a lots of grip when its wet and it was proper wet last night. Its when its in the transitional/drying out condition that sections become very slippy which is most of the time at the mo.

I think its because its slate base becomes slippy as silt is deposited over the surface by trail traffic. When its raining this is cleared giving you much better grip on the slate.

parkedtiger
    Free Member

It'll be fun today – it's raining like crazy this morning 😯

Stu

anc is spot on. The slate is actually much more grippy when its properly wet (as it was on Saturday morning). Much more slippy when damp and covered in silt/mud.

Its a great trail for a quick blast (2-3 hours should see you round all three loops easily), especially when the weather is crap.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Is whinlatter any good?’ is closed to new replies.