Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Is too much seafood bad for you?
  • I’ve blathered on about what I do and don’t eat lately, however seafood is playing a big part – I’ll have prawns, squid, mussels, mackerel, salmon, or tuna at least once a day.

Are there any problems with this? The sea is full of crap obviously, but is it any worse than crop sprayed veg? Seem to remember something a while back about high mercury? content in tuna.

Other than that, is it nutritionally ok?

project
    Free Member

Most fat people see food and eat it, thats why theyre fat 😯

Spin
    Free Member

I’ve no idea but I do know that too much love will kill you in the end.

ton

i try and eat a portion of seafood every day. even if it only a jar of mussels or cockles.
    todays fish is a nice tuna steak, griddled with asparagus, green beans and carrots. 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

All the filter feeding invertebrates such as mussels are potentially hazardous due to their unfortunate tendencies to filter sea water close to sewage outlets. And cooking them won’t necessarily solve the problem as the toxins are often unaffected by heat.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

No it a healthy way to eat, mussels are purified in fresh water so no worries there, the Japanese eat mainly fish and have the healthiest hearts and diets.

Holyzeus
    Free Member

Prawns are very high in cholesterol

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The Japanese do however have an unfortunate tendency to glow in the dark these days though…

bigjim

todays fish is a nice tuna steak

tut tut, you should watch http://endoftheline.com/

UK waters are surprisingly clean and there are strict controls in relation to shellfish harvesting, so I wouldn’t worry.

If you are eating a lot of farmed fish, like salmon or imported fish (not mussels) then you should be aware of what you are eating though, in terms of chemical treatments and environmental impacts. It ain’t pretty.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Prawns are very high in cholesterol

They are, but that is no longer considered to be a health issue. Food poisoning from mussels however is common.

AndyP
    Free Member

seafood is good for you.
    lots of seafood is ok for you
    ‘too much’ seafood is bad for you. ‘too much’ of anything is generally bad for you. simple and that.

djglover
    Free Member

I had some smoked mackerel last week and was supprised to see that 4/5 of the segments on the packet were red.

chewkw
    Free Member

The sea gypsies are doing well so I guess eating seafood must be good for health?

🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

Unless you are getting fat on it – not imo.

I’d sooner trust something wild out the sea than ‘reared food.’

>Prawns are very high in cholesterol<

…but very low in saturated fat.

You cannot get high cholesterol from eating high cholestoral meat – afaik it is saturated fat that (can potentially) gives you high cholestoral

Not eating too much of it I don’t think, but have it most days.

Certainly not getting fat on it, quite the contrary.

samuri
    Free Member

Look at it this way. Sea animals swim about in their own shit, and ours. They eat both their own shit, and ours. Not only this, the sea is made of salt and water, one of those things tastse bloody awful in any reasonable quantity which is why all seafood tastes like sticking your tongue in the back of a grit wagon.

If seafood doesn’t taste like this to you, then you’ve clearly got underdeveloped taste buds and can’t be trusted to choose your own food.[1]

And this is why seafood is a bad thing.

[1] All seafood to me tastes like concentrated salt. I can’t taste anything else. Other people around the table will be saying how great this sea bass is and I’ll be throwing up onto the floor.

crankboy
    Free Member

Sea food is very good for you . Anthropology speaking eating sea food is directly connected to the development of the human brain .

Where you source your sea food from is however important both in terms of your health and sustainability .

If it tastes like concentrated salt someone somewhere has done something wrong to it or it has been preserved in salt .

samuri
    Free Member

Or there’s something going on with my mouth. I’ve tried lots of different food out of the sea. I’m assured by others that it tastes delicious. Either I’m wrong and everyone else is right or I’m right and everyone else is wrong, and I think we know what the answer to that one is.

deadslow

Yep sounds like you are wrong the Samuri!

loum
    Free Member

Eat the little fishes, don’t eat the big old fishes ( bioaccumulation of toxins).

mustard
    Free Member

yummo unlimited Krill 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

some krill recipes

krillcakes, chilled krill cocktail, roast krill in puff pastry, krill flambé….

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It’s like the spam of the sea!

jp-t853

I generally don’t eat red meat so once on a trip to Denmark I ate fish all day (including a lovely evening meal where I had a fish starter, surprise appetiser of fish followed by fish main course). I was surprised to see that I had black poo the next morning.

stgeorge

. I was surprised to see that I had black poo the next morning.

That’ll be the squid then..

maccruiskeen

Other people around the table will be saying how great this sea bass is and I’ll be throwing up onto the floor.

Quite the hot date!

Eat the little fishes, don’t eat the big old fishes ( bioaccumulation of toxins).

While that accumulation is true – what risk does it present. There was a big hoohaa about dioxins in salmon a few years back that lead to a massive drop in sales. However although the measurable amounts of dioxin are in salmon, measurable amounts, often larger amounts are in all sorts of foods, including ones we consume more of. The risks associated though are infinitesimal the chances of ill-effects if you ate big pieces of salmon for every meal for a year being comparable to that of playing the lottery once and winning.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s like the spam of the sea!

..and equally as appetising

maccruiskeen

. I was surprised to see that I had black poo the next morning.

Thats probably iron. The paleness or darkness of your jobbies is related to your iron intake

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

..and equally as appetising

They look like they’re just begging to be breaded and deep fried! Spam however…

Just polished off a smoked and peppered Scottish salmon fillet. Sliced it up on a bed of spicy veg cous cous – lovely

duckman

Anyway, you will know when you have a bad Mussel, natures Picolax 😈

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I love eating anything fishy, especially clam and prawn

ton

i had a monster sized salad for lunch, with 2 cans of mackeral.

fish is ace, even when smelly and salty.

johnellison
    Free Member

I love eating anything fishy, especially clam and prawn

Fish pie? Haddock pasty? Tuna surprise?

seadog101

Canned fish is always tested for nasty stuff – Mercury/toxins etc.

Fresh fish isn’t.

crankboy
    Free Member

Thread reappears and poster who brought it back disappears ?

boblo
    Free Member

Ferk me, is this the fish resurrection?

ocrider

Spam of the sea!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Is too much seafood bad for you?’ is closed to new replies.