Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Is this damage?
  • gnusmas

Cove Stiffee FR 2012, chainstay behind BB

tomhoward

doubt it

honourablegeorge

Just looks like the tube is deliberately flattened for chainring clearance

asterix
    Free Member

a bit hard to tell from the not very clear photos. The chainstays don’t look to be the same (i.e. symmetrical), but is that distortion in the photo? If they are different and its a new frame maybe take it back and ask them

scottfitz
    Free Member

I second chainring clearance

Carbis

Looking at the picture on Winstanleys bikes website the chainstay looks the same so no.

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/28063/Cove_Stiffee_FR_2012_Frame

scotroutes

Chainring clearance +1

woody2000

Deliberate, see it clearly here

wysiwyg
    Free Member

/\ this. Though something looks too far left. Dish ok?

steezysix
    Free Member

If it was damage I think you’d see cracks in the paint/lacquer – my kona has the same shape on the chain stay so there’s clearance for the chain rings.

ski
    Free Member

I wish my chainsuck frame that that feature 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Most bikes are like that – its just for chainring clearance. Makes a nice dirt trap as well.

onehundredthidiot

Soemthing truly horrible happening in the first photo’. I assume thet the angle is distorting things but the wheel looks well off centre and teh distortion make it look as though there is frame twist. I guess you would definitely see paint/laquar cracking if that were the case.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

its a sticker…

gnusmas

no paint cracking at all and definitely not a sticker 🙂

wheel is centered in the dropouts (that is the wheel from my heckler so i know it is fine) and sits centrally between the seatstays but there is a bigger gap non drive side than the drive side on the chainstays. This is the reason i asked if it was damage, i assumed the dent was there for chainring clearance but thought i would get 2nd/3rd/4th opinions.

Should the gap be different between each side of the chainstays? This is my main concern.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think you might need to take a better photo I’m afraid… flip the bike over and take one from vertically above as currently the perspective isn’t helping.

gnusmas

good idea, hadn’t thought of pic from below. will do this after and post it up. Will put a pic of the seatstays up too.

gnusmas

more pics, hopefully a bit clearer in the daylight

More pics here
    http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/hoodahell/library/%5D

What do you think? Really want to get on and finish the build 🙁

asterix
    Free Member

ask the manufacturer to measure it and see if it really in within the specified tolerances – it looks wonky (for want of a better word) to me

like the mini though:-)

bazwadah
    Free Member

I can’t help with the original issue, but +1 for the mini liking! a car that looks that cool should only ever be driven by someone with a flaming skull for a head.. like ghost rider. 😀

DickBarton

The wheel looks like it is needing dished…

gnusmas

As mentioned above the wheel is from my heckler and it runs straight and true in that so i know the wheel is good, understand what you mean though.

gnusmas

Thanks for the Mini likes too, unfortunately not mine but my mate’s. Think i will start a modified car thread with it 😆

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Is this damage?’ is closed to new replies.