Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,802 total)
  • Thatcher's died according to BBC
  • binners

Hora. You’re blathering again…..

You are the living embodiment of the experiment involving limitless monkies with keyboards. I’m convinced of it

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

binners – Member
    They’re not ‘dealing’ with anything other than their own self-serving ideologically driven political agenda.

So what part of any political “agenda” does dealing with large and unsustainable levels of debt belong to?
    Add a broken banking system on top and starts to make life difficult for anyone in charge.

They are making mistakes for sure, but like most parties of all persuasions in large parts of the developed world, their hands are firmly constrained by the legacy of the past. Hence, I fail to see how you can make these easy distinctions between its the Tories’ fault or Labour’s fault. Its all inter-twined. Just look at what Hollande is saying then doing in France.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

yes the deficit that is SO important to their ‘virility’ has risen, but there is a huge bubble going to burst –money printing or the polite term to fool people –QEasing — is the throw of last resort–US, UK and now Japan are engaged in this deperate attempt to defy the ‘markets’ –the shrewdies in US are dumping all their stock in the consumer economy–preparing for the worst– inflation will soon take off, housing market will collapse and the rest of you can join those of us who have nothing— fun times for all…..

binners

I agree with you THM. As you clearly know a thing or two about economics, what do you think the long term results will be be of the present economic policy*? Where do you see it leaving us in 10 years, say?

Do you think this is a permanent adjustment to a low skill, low wage economy, now in terminal decline? And that we’re just going to have to accept ever falling living standards? And this is what Thatcher referred in Liverpool – ‘managed decline’

* The term ‘policy’ is used figuratively in this instance

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Rudebwoy – you should add that QE is also hidden theft. At least in Cyprus, you can see what you are dealing with. But when governments distort interest rates, repress savers etc, they are guilty of being deliberately dishonest!

[The shrewdies may not be shrewd if the US markets continue to hit highs. They may be right in the LT, but in the short term they need to remain solvent!]

sbob
    Free Member

Rudebwoy,
    Here are some simple undisputable facts for you;

Coal production was in decline.
    Pits were being closed down.
    Miners went on strike.

All before Thatcher. 💡

You may also want to take note of the amount of support that Scargill has been shown on these pages, which appear to be mainly inhabited by those of a left wing persuasion.
    Clue: it’s not a lot.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

thm– you should know that the market goes to the top before its collapse–knowing when to get out is the shrewdies mark– Buffet and his gang are doing that now– you cannot have a disparity that the us economy has become, going in that direction forever– its fairly obvious to me–and i’m an unemployed joiner who takes an interest in the world– tis the history of capitalism — oh and yes the dipping into peoples bank accounts is crude but honest–the methods used here are much more subtle and dip into certain sections of society but not the Rich– oh and they convince simple minded people that we are all in the same boat, and there is no alternative– tragic…

sbob
    Free Member

rudebwoy – Member

i’m an unemployed joiner

Lots of work for skilled joiners in my area (Cambs). 🙂

rudebwoy
    Free Member

good for you–long way from my yard–

sbob
    Free Member

I’ll have a spare room in my house from mid May. 😀

BermBandit
    Free Member

Except that the current ‘lot’ are dealing with labours malcompetence.

With the modest exception that the current scenario has much to do with a global economic problem, which if I’m not much mistaken has in turn much to do with the shennigans perpertrated by the financial institutions of the entire world, but largely preciptiated by the actions of one M. Thatcher and one R.Reagan in the 1980’s.

You can of course argue about the need for prudence in preparation for said event, but before that can any of us here smugly own up to having made a fortune from correctly prediciting the crash of 2008? In which case I will of course acknowledge that it was utterly obvious to all.

sbob
    Free Member

but before that can any of us here can smugly own up to having made a fortune from correctly prediciting the crash of 2008?

I predicted it in 1997. 😉

😆

BermBandit
    Free Member

fortune? do tell sbob

brakes
    Free Member

largely preciptiated by the actions of one M. Thatcher and one R.Reagan in the 1980’s

really?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Binners, in short, I do not accept the fatalist arguments that we are necessarily in long term decline, nor that we will be a low wage/low skilled economy. But the prospects for the low skilled in the UK and the rest of the developed world are genuinely frightening (hence my personal interest in education). There was an interesting article in the FT a few days ago (http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d69ec792-9e08-11e2-9ccc-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2QFuMj3Zz) which shifts the inequality argument from the UK-centric one, to a global one which says that global inequality is reducing in a positive manner (across nations if not within them). But this has inevitably negative consequences for the low skilled in developed nations such as the UK. There is no doubt IMO that the UK and other developed economies will grow much slower than other parts of the world. If you lack skills in this environment, you will face a very bleak future indeed. And frankly Mrs T was correct in her widely misquoted, “there is not such thing as society speech.” Her real message – that it is foolish to expect governments to supply the answers – is probably more relevant today than it was at the time. I fear that those who expect governments of any party to look after them in old age will be bitterly disappointed.

Again IMO there are three key obstacles to growth – excess levels of debt (household, banks, governments), a broken € zone and the lack of corporate confidence. Corporate UK has a lot of cash ready to invest but they lack the confidence to go ahead and put it to work. Dealing with the first two will take many years – which plays into Labour’s hands since there will be no dramatic return to growth in the UK. Their risks are welfare, where rightly or wrongly, they are losing the battle in the media and in the minds of the public. But the “joker” is factor three. If corporate UK gains confidence then investment “could” well accelerate faster than people think. There is a hidden element of this in current labour statistics where the private sector is showing signs of recovery. Personally, I think it will take really positive news from Europe for this to happen fully and I cant see that in the short term. But that is Cameron’s wild card and Labour would be foolish to ignore it IMO. Maybe that is what triggered Blair to write his article in the New Statesman?

allthepies
    Free Member

I guess GB really believed he’d got rid of boom and bust. Ooops!

oldbloke
    Free Member

You can of course argue about the need for prudence in preparation for said event, but before that can any of us here smugly own up to having made a fortune from correctly prediciting the crash of 2008? In which case I will of course acknowledge that it was utterly obvious to all.

Well, not a fortune as that would have required one to start with. But I predicted its inevitability from 2003 and acted in summer 2007 to protect what I had. No inside knowledge, just an accountant who took an interest in the data available.

Those in government and opposition with greater resources behind them should have made better decisions.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I made nothing, but was predicting it from 2004. I worked in the construction industry and decided to change jobs to try and get into a more secure career.

Also saw it about 3 months before the big crash as was trying to re jig a couple of credit cards to a loan and I was finding it impossible to get a load, which 3 years earlier I could get 5 loads a day for a month. It’s was madness I back in 2001-2006

sbob
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

fortune? do tell sbob

No, I didn’t make any money out of it, I’m quite poor. 😀

hora
    Free Member

Runs through the thread naked swinging tally-whacker like a elephants trunk

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I fear that those who expect governments of any party to look after them in old age will be bitterly disappointed

Does that include public sector pensions?

Should I bail out now?

ononeorange

I thought the prioperty market was going to crash in 2005 so sold my house and rented. What an idiot I was until 2008.

aracer
    Free Member

You may not have noticed (unbelievable, I know) but their policies are having the exact opposite effect of their stated aim. The deficit is going UP!!

yes the deficit that is SO important to their ‘virility’ has risen

Where do you get your figures from?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/oct/18/deficit-debt-government-borrowing-data

rudebwoy
    Free Member

thm, the US economy is still the world’s largest and most influental, a chill there, and the rest of the world catches a cold– individual govt have no power to prevent such, all they can do is make the best of a bad job and spread the pain or gain in an equitable manner–ideally of course.

Since we do not live in such a place, things will be a lot different depending on which strata of society you inhabit….

aracer
    Free Member

to attempt to portray the Arthur Scargill as some sort of equivalent to Thatcher shows how bankrupt your thinking and ideology must be.

Well to be fair, she expected the whole country to pay to keep her when she was no longer doing anything useful, Arthur only expected the 2000 or so miners left to pay to support him.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

dangerousbeans – Member
    I fear that those who expect governments of any party to look after them in old age will be bitterly disappointed
    Does that include public sector pensions?

For sure and the appropriate advice should be given now to all members of such schemes. There are NHS staff that are told that since the pension fund is currently self funded that this means that it is sustainable. They, in particular, need to be properly advised IMO.

But if governments are going to continue to (indirectly) rob us of the correct returns on our savings then knowing where best to invest your money is another challenge completely. But at least the last few years have quashed one idea on its head – the risk-free return!

charliedontsurf

I love the way the hills of dorset warp news as its gently rolls over the fields… a short poem by my local barman and poet.

“Thatcher Dead” they said
    Someone’s fallen off a roof
    I thought to myself

by elvis mcgonagall, april 2013

BermBandit
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    largely preciptiated by the actions of one M. Thatcher and one R.Reagan in the 1980’s
    really?

Yes Really!

allthepies – Member
    Berm Bandit said »
    You can of course argue about the need for prudence in preparation for said event,
    I guess GB really believed he’d got rid of boom and bust. Ooops!

I think you may be mistaking me for someone who thinks GB is some form of hero

sbob – Member
    Berm Bandit – Member
    fortune? do tell sbob
    No, I didn’t make any money out of it, I’m quite poor
    🙂

Thought not. I did have you down as a post event smarty pants, so it appears that I’m not going to be disappointed.

sbob
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

Thought not. I did have you down as a post event smarty pants, so it appears that I’m not going to be disappointed.

So what should I have done?
    Seeing as you are so obviously aware of all my circumstances over the last 16 years. ❓

BermBandit
    Free Member

So what should I have done?

Hey you’re the guy who knows things in advance, you figure it out.

sbob
    Free Member

Berm Bandit – Member

Hey you’re the guy who knows things in advance, you figure it out.

I don’t know everything in advance, I just predicted, along with everyone else I know who either can remember or has learned what Labour governments are like, that the economy would be up the Gary under Labour.

It’s not like knowing the lottery numbers, is it Einstein?
    🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Meanwhile…Radio 1 are to play only a clip of Ding-Dong – contained in a news item – in the chart show.

Proof that if you sit on the fence you get splinters up your chuff.

binners

They said that it was in case it upset family members. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I doubt Sir Mark Thatcher listens to Radio 1

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

binners – Member

They said that it was in case it upset family members. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I doubt Sir Mark Thatcher listens to Radio 1
    you have no, abso$%^*kinglutely no idea how f**king offensive I find that.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I don’t know everything in advance, I just predicted, along with everyone else I know who either can remember or has learned what Labour governments are like, that the economy would be up the Gary under Labour.

no, bit like we’re gonna have a tory government, i predict tax cuts for the wealthy, benefit cuts for the poor and the economy being worse than it was before.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

binners – Member

you have no, abso$%^*kinglutely no idea how f**king offensive I find that.

Do tell us. Is it a lot or a little?

sbob
    Free Member

BigButSlimmerBloke – Member

no, bit like we’re gonna have a tory government, i predict tax cuts for the wealthy, benefit cuts for the poor and the economy being worse than it was before.

Did you actually predict that in 1979 then?

charliedontsurf

I love the way the hills of dorset warp news as its gently rolls over the fields… this is from Elvis, he will be at the SSUK party.

“Thatcher Dead” they said
    Someone’s fallen off a roof
    I thought to myself

by elvis mcgonagall, april 2013

allthepies
    Free Member

It was a comment on GB’s management of the economy, please don’t flatter yourself 🙂

BermBandit
    Free Member

It was a comment on GB’s management of the economy, please don’t flatter yourself

I wasn’t, it was a comment on how some folk seem to assume that seeing Thatcher and/or the Tories for what she/they are, automatically makes you an apologist for New Labour. It doesn’t.

Pretty much, Pavlov’s mutt, if it were correct and clearly its not, that prediction would have got you a nice comfy boardroom seat in a fair number of institutions worldwide had you actually have been able to foresee it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,802 total)

The topic ‘Thatcher's died according to BBC’ is closed to new replies.