• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by DT78.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Is this a good buy?? Halfords professional socket set for £90…
  • nickc

It looks like a nice set, and the top end Halfords Tool range is pretty good.

D'you need all those sockets?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Halfords tools are very good quality. All a home mechanic will ever need IMO. I've got a fair bit of their stuff: I've rebuilt engines and fitted a gearbox with it, amongst all sorts of other stuff, and never managed to break any of it.

🙂

flamejob
    Free Member

I've got the 150 part one and it is one of the best things I have ever bought.

Do it.

[there it is on the right \/ ]

GSI-MAN
    Free Member

Lifetime guarantee and £100 off bargain.
    I use these most days and I havent broken or snapped anything.
    Buy it NOW!!

Hicksy
    Free Member

I bought a similar set a couple of years ago – it was half price as well and I had been given vouchers. It's not had a huge amount of use as I've got rid of all my old cars but it does appear to be good quailty. I don't think you'd get much better for that price. Mine has 4 or 5 ratcheting spanners in it which are handy. The catches on the case are a bit bobbins though, but the case shown is different to mine.

I do feel slightly dirty using tools with Halford stamped on them though! 🙂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

These are well made and v good value.

Only alternative is a "Crescent" socket/tool set from Costco. Lifetime warranty and huge array of sockets + spanners and some other useful bits.

About £60 if you (or someone you know) has a Costco card and a branch nearby?

simon_g

I've had a very similar set for a few years – they're good tools. Almost permanently half price though!

Only things I've needed in that time that it didn't have was a 7mm allen bolt (for Peugeot brake calipers) and a breaker bar. Mind you there's plenty of things like the impact sockets and UJs that have never seen any use at all…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Lifetime guarantee

Worth checking the wording of that though.
    A while ago I asked in store as I'd killed one of my 3/8 ratchets.
    They said it didn't cover the ratchet mechanism. I haven't challenged that but probably will.
    Otherwise they've been good to me and certainly have a quality feel too 'em.

cranberry
    Free Member

I've got that set – not given the tools a huge amount of welly, but the quality seems good and those who have been rough with the tools say that they are up to the job.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They're good tools and I have several Halfords pro tools myself but as for a bargain? I guess they are compared to retail but I just picked up a Bluepoint set which is made by Snap On for the same price and the quality is in a different league.

br
    Free Member

I've Halfords Pro spanners and other bits and pieces – as good as you'll need, and cheap compared the dear ones

DT78
    Free Member

flamejob – I want your workshop!

My young lady has mentioned she gets 10% off with her work as well….I'll be buying them this weekend then.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is this a good buy?? Halfords professional socket set for £90…’ is closed to new replies.