• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bol.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Is this a dumb idea?
  • bol

I want to slacken the front of my RIP 9 a bit, and raise the bottom bracket a fraction. Longer forks would be the obvious choice, but my Rebas won’t extend and the options for 120mm booth through 29er forks with a regular steerer are now pretty limited. So, what I have in mind is getting a 15 or 20mm spacer machined to sit under the crown race on the top of my fork. I’ve got enough steerer, and I think it should do the trick. I don’t really need any more travel, although the frame is rated to take up to a 120 fork anyway I believe.

Will I break anythIng, will my bike feel like shit, and most importantly, will I die?

stupot
    Free Member

The steerer on your fork is taper towards the bottom, so the crown rac is only tight when hard up against the crown, if you add a spacer the crown race will be loose.

bol

Yes, the spacer would have to have a lip on it to take the race – and taper outwards internally to fit the fork. Had thought of that, although I appreciate that it is easier said than made.

Sancho
    Free Member

I think Hope already make what youre looking for

letmetalktomark

Silly question but are you sure your Rebas won’t extend? I am sure my 2008/9 29” Rebas go to 115mm 😕

thomthumb
    Free Member

I want to slacken the front of my RIP 9 a bit

ok

raise the bottom bracket a fraction

why this. Imo lower bbs ride better.

Russell96

Use a different headset, you can get headsets where the lower cup is longer to usually allow extra clearance for when fork controls can come in contact with the frame. Some options are discussed in this thread >>

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-anyone-know-of-a-headset-with-thicker-crown-race-to-slacken-head-angle

bol

Sancho – thanks, I’ll faker ale a look at their website.

Mark – they’re 2012s so while lovely in many respects, they don’t extend according to their website.

Thom – I agree, but I seem to be getting a lot of pedal/crank strikes compared to my other bike.

rootes1

headtube extender?

popular in the fixie bar spin world? not sure if you you can get one in the right size for your headtube though

search for headtube extenders

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Chris King do crown races that come in various heights

http://chrisking.com/parts/baseplates

andrewh
    Free Member

raise the bottom bracket a fraction

why this. Imo lower bbs ride better.

Ground clearance I assume. I prefer higher BBs.

bol

Cheers all. The head tube extender looked like it might. E an option until I read the no off road use disclaimer. Maybe 10mm makes more sense – allowing for sag.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Is this a dumb idea?’ is closed to new replies.