Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)
  • Is there software available that can block people on forums?
  • kudos100
    Free Member

Anyone know of anything that works?

donsimon
    Free Member

Killfile, it’s what TJ uses, but I think it’s very ungentlemanly and a touch immature. Who you looking to block?

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

You really should not let things you read on the net make you mad, if they do sadly there is no software solution to that problem. Although Valium/getting a life might help.

aracer
    Free Member

Brain mk2. Enables you to ignore posts and users you don’t like.

kudos100
    Free Member

See that is the problem with this place. You ask for something and people are rude. How about you stick you comment where the sun don’t shine jumpupandddown?

The vast majority of people on here that are rude and unpleasant wouldn’t dare do it in person as they would end up getting a kicking on a regular basis.

tazzymtb

STW- it’s where abused IT nerds become the abusers

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

See that is the problem with this place. You ask for something and people are rude. How about you stick you comment where the sun don’t shine jumpupandddown?

i bet you have blood pressure problems. now calm down and breath deeply.

kudos100
    Free Member

Ain’t that the truth Tazzy. Probably bullied at school and now can take the power back by being rude to people on the internet, hurrah!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

The vast majority of people on here that are rude and unpleasant wouldn’t dare do it in person as they would end up getting a kicking on a regular basis.

It works both ways, I’m a cheeky chappy in reality too, but there are folks on here who think it’s good to report and get me banned. Good job I don’t give a toss, innit?

Hohum
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member

Lots of internet forums are like it though chap and it does seem to have become worse over the last few years.

It would appear that some people see trolling as a challenge nowadays and their main goal in their online/forum lives is to be the biggest troll on the forum(s) they frequent the most.

Just laugh at them and don’t hit that return button 🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

i bet you have blood pressure problems. now calm down and breath deeply.

No I just have problems with people who are rude on the internet, who wouldn’t dare do it in person. Cowards I think is the term.

kudos100
    Free Member

ots of internet forums are like it though chap and it does seem to have become worse over the last few years.

It would appear that some people see trolling as a challenge nowadays and their main goal in their online/forum lives is to be the biggest troll on the forum(s) they frequent the most.

This place is by far the worst. I visit other forums populated by 18 stone bodybuilders and martial artists and rarely do you see the level of spitefulness and general rudeness as seen on here on a daily basis.

hugor
    Free Member

I guess what he’s saying is that lots of people around here get pretty fired up about moot really.
    I don’t get it either.
    Nobody around here can upset me enough that I need to stop myself reading their comments.

jumpupanddown
    Free Member

This place is by far the worst. I visit other forums populated by 18 stone bodybuilders and martial artists and rarely do you see the level of spitefulness and general rudeness as seen on here on a daily basis.

maybe the internet is not the place for you, this is the shallow end matey!

kudos100
    Free Member

I guess what he’s saying is that lots of people around here get pretty fired up about moot really.
    I don’t get it either.
    Nobody around here can upset me enough that I need to stop myself reading their comments.

I tire of reading incessant spiteful rubbish that is spouted by I.T geeks and losers who who have no real power in their real lives.

Meh, probably having a bad day.

grum
    Free Member

No I just have problems with people who are rude on the internet

kudos100 – Member
    As apposed to you who spouts negative shite and probably does sod all for humanity?

kudos100 – Member
    Yes you are the **** who is adding loads to the thread. Why don’t you go and drown some kittens you miserable git.

😕

donsimon
    Free Member

Meh, probably having a bad day.

Probably.
    Learn to see them for who they are.

hugor
    Free Member

If somebody I know insults me personally then I find that offensive cause there may be some truth to their comments and it makes me second guess myself.
    If however some random IT geek around here plays hero and results to name calling or general rudeness, it is generally the result of not having the means or intellect to win the debate otherwise. Typical schoolyard mentality really.
    Consider it a victory.

chrisdw
    Free Member

You see these sorts of discussions on every internet forum. We had one on a uni club forum in which everyone knew each other in real life. You just need to accept that people are prats on the internet when they know there are no immediete consequences for what they say.

Although persistent ramblings did end up with a decent headbutt from one member landing on another!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sounds to me that you fancy an argument kudos100. You haven’t commented on the two suggestions – Killfile and Brain mk2, or bothered to thank anyone for suggesting them. Instead you prattle on about people being rude, and come out with comments such as “How about you stick your comment where the sun don’t shine jumpupandddown?”

Presumably jumpupandddown is one of those people you can’t ignore and want some software to do it for you ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

grum beat me to it
    I think the OP may be tired and emotional 😉

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-killfile-plugin#post-2084688

hugor
    Free Member

Interesting to compare discussions on social networking sites where people are identifiable to anonymous forums.
    I can only recall a couple of frank arguments on FB compared with the daily stuff around here.

aracer
    Free Member

This is the interesting thing about internet forums. In real life I wouldn’t associate with people who’d threaten to inflict violence because of something somebody else said, but I’m quite happy to discuss things with them on here.

float
    Free Member

i thought about blocking someone, but then they got banned. reporting posts does work if theyre genuinely being an arse. at the end of the day its the mods that decide if you need a spanking ban for a few days.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There’s surprisingly few IT folk on here actually.

I used to use killfile plugins but the bulk of the chaff has been banned now.

kudos100
    Free Member

This is the interesting thing about internet forums. In real life I wouldn’t associate with people who’d threaten to inflict violence because of something somebody else said, but I’m quite happy to discuss things with them on here.

This is the interesting thing about real life. I don’t associate with people how constantly argue, are rude and put down others on the internet, but wouldn’t say boo to a goose in real life.

Off to bed, tomorrow I may wake up on the right side……

coffeeking
    Free Member

Interesting to compare discussions on social networking sites where people are identifiable to anonymous forums.
    I can only recall a couple of frank arguments on FB compared with the daily stuff around here.
    Posted 56 minutes ago # Report-Post

It has nothing to do with anonymity, IMO, it’s to do with the fact that most people only facebook-friend people they are friends with. By definition these tend to be the people you’re friends with (or at least could cope with) in real life, and so tend to share more of your views on stuff.

duckman

Actually this thread is turning into a cracking example of how the chat forum is these days.

I used to use killfile plugins but the bulk of the chaff has been banned now.

POSTED 4 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Other than he-who’s-multiple-names-we-do-not-speak,are the usual suspects not still here most of the time?

retro83
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member
    I.T geeks

Can you stop saying that in a derogatory way please? No doubt it was one of those “I.T. Geeks” who actually took the time and wrote the software you were too lazy to search for yourself (and subsequently gave it away for free!)

You seem to be very sensitive to other people making what you would consider to be rude postings but very quick to make spiteful remarks yourself.

damo2576
    Free Member

Killfile works. Surprised no one has replied to this thread?

bol

From the tone of your argument Kudos, it sounds like you quite like a fight in real life and would prefer it if people didn’t just keep their aggression to the Internet. I know where I would rather have a punch up. Not that I ever do of course.

boxelder

Can’t you just ignore it/them?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Anger management issues abound. Got 99 problems, but an internet forum ain’t one.

donsimon
    Free Member

at the end of the day its the mods that decide if you need a spanking ban for a few days.

Which of course have no effect whatsoever and only serve to make a few look rather silly.

zokes
    Free Member

Which of course have no effect whatsoever and only serve to make a few look rather silly.

I dunno – the few high-profile ones I’ve seen seem to have had the desired effect and more besides.

donsimon
    Free Member

I dunno – the few high-profile ones I’ve seen seem to have had the desired effect and more besides.

Apart from Fred, who else? I know quite a few who have left, for whatever reason. Seriously, would a couple of days being banned serve to modify your behaviour? People come and go without being noticed, even your good self has a two day gap in posting this week, ban or holiday? The bans I’ve received have generally just reinforced how juvenile some people can be. Anyway, got to go before I get another warning for that heinous crime of rocking the boat. 😉

Cougar

Thread summary.

“Can anyone help me block users?”

“Well, can’t you just ignore them?”

“YOU’RE ALL BASTARDS”

Point the first, no-one’s forcing you to use the forum.

Point the second, whilst I’m proud to be an “IT geek,” I take offence at the implication that this somehow invalidates me or my opinions.

jota180
    Free Member

As said, just ignore anything/one you don’t like

It’s an internet forum, not real life – don’t let it get to you

Cougar

It’s an internet forum, not real life

Of course it’s real life. Are we all figments of your imagination?

jota180
    Free Member

Of course it’s real life. Are we all figments of your imagination?

It’s not real life at all, some of the characters may well be their real selves and some of them may well not be, it’s often not easy to tell and you can never be sure
    We don’t know each other from Adam, most of us give ourselves pseudonyms and some – I suspect – an Alta ego to go with it. You don’t know me and I don’t know you.
    From my username you could maybe have a stab at who I am, perhaps a 20st, talented darts player with a penchant for a particular Spanish dance, or possibly it was a name selected at random – after forgetting the passwords for my last login and email – maybe I just looked out of the window for inspiration and saw the name emblazoned on the side of a rather beautiful piece of 70s Italian machinery sat in the conservatory, who knows?
    We could both be a man/woman/boy/girl/shaved monkey; you have no way of really knowing
    From your username, I could attempt a guess at maybe some sort of North American big cat impersonator, or perhaps a cage fighter or WWF wrestler? Although I suspect if that were the case it would be prefixed with ‘The’ – so maybe a Creole speaking, tobacco chewing Citizen’s Band enthusiast hauling live shrimp out of Baton Rouge LA? Or perhaps the often quoted STW stereotypical over-weight IT middle manager getting through the daily grind switching things off and then back on again?
    Of course, if I were making book on it some of the above suggestions would have considerably shorter odds than others but there’s no such thing as a dead cert so who knows?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 163 total)

The topic ‘Is there software available that can block people on forums?’ is closed to new replies.