Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • Is there a Dr in the house ? Bacterial infected leg advice please.
  • singletrackmind

Got bitten by something like a horse fly last weekend , which gave rise to a 1/2 golf ball lump knee my . Itchy annoying thing leaked alot of goo and was starting to go by thurs . Self treated with Germolene / sudocreme .
    Sat noticed redness and swelling in same area , with itchy and sensitive skin .
    Leg now has swelled by about 25% , from foot to knee .
    Its very red and hot to touch .
    Skin feels tight and stretched over most of leg .
    Articulation of ankle restricted due to swelling .
    Leg fairly itchy and sensitive , so i keep on covering area with germolene .

Feel fine in myself , no temp , no dizzyness , hungry and normal body functions all ok.

Tried NHS direct , 4 – 5 hour response time .

Steph / strap infection through insect bite requiring a 10 day course of Dicoxcillin ( sp ) ? from my interenet based research … . .

My choice would be A + E at 0600 tomorrow , get prescription . Go to work .
    Trying to get a DR appt where i live is impossible as the oldies bulk book them to give them something to do .

Any ideas????
    no cat / bad aids comments ta, or amputate the leg with a jigsaw either .

druidh
    Free Member

Why wait to go to A&E?
    Is there a walk-in/Minor Injuries Clinic you can get to?

MSP

Does it move around like there is larvae growing under the surface?

grahamt1980

Go to a and e now if I were you. Anti biotics do not work instantly so its only going to get worse before it gets better. try to get it sorted asap

Kuco

If your legs swelled by 25% i’d be inclined to go to A&E.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Medical attention NOW! A&E would be my choice. Queues should not be too bad at this time of day. Could be other things apart from infection and it needs treatment.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Get to the hospital, I ended up with cellulitis and they wanted me to be admitted for a course of IV antibiotics.

Best get it checked out, I reckon.

jamesco

Sounds like you’ve been sensitised/ made hypersensitive, get something to combat the infection then keep leg raised to let swelling go down.

ratherbeintobago

Sounds like you’ve been sensitised/ made hypersensitive

No, sounds like cellulitis to me (though obviously I haven’t seen it and therefore cannot give a proper clinical assessment etc. etc.). Get thaself to A&E forthwith.

Andy MB ChB

jet26
    Free Member

A&E. Really. Or walk in. Today. James (doc)

Rickos
    Free Member

A&E sooner rather than later. I had a cut that got infected last summer and the redness started moving up my shin. I got ordered to A&E by the wife (it was a Sunday after doing the cut on a Wednesday). Doctor said good job I came in as another 24 hours and it could have necessitated antibiotics through a drip. Your case sounds much worse than mine…

So, if you haven’t already left after reading the replies from others above, get to A&E.

jamiep
    Free Member

I went to the dr last year with something similar to my forearm – sensitive, popeye-style swelling, hot. Diagnosed as a bacterial infection, likely from a tiny, tiny cut got from god knows where. Course of antibiotics.

Bear
    Free Member

yup, had a nice week in hospital fro cellulitis a few years ago, small cut, got infected arm like a balloon, went downhill quickly feeling really flu like. A few days on intravenous anti-b’s sorted me out though.

v8ninety

Start up gopro, stab it with a sharp knife, squeeze goo out, post on youtube*

*Best course of action for the internets. For you; go to a&e/walk in centre whichever you have near you, asap, before you get systemic symptoms.

muddy@rseguy

Singletrackmind, thats obviously not right…(have you been out windsurfing since being bitten?)

Regardless please go to A&E or see a Doctor now (and stop using the Internet for self diagnosis or NHS direct for useless advice….)

Or try the GoPro and scalpel option 😯

DrP

Have you tried the out of hours GP? Seems a reasonable first call given you appear “systemically well”. But you certainly sound like you need antibiotics and a review in a few days into make sure it’s not getting worse,

Tbh, I don’t really think this is the sort of thing that should go to A&E…..

DrP

singletrackmind

well I went .
    and then came home again .
    2 1/2 hr wait according to the sign in the waiting room, ‘maybe longer ‘ said the lady on reception.
    So its back to plan A . Go early tomorrow morning and hope my leg doesnt fall off in the night .
    Rode Sat am , windsurfed Sat pm . Windsurfed Sun pm . Rode mon . Worked mon /tue am, but its hard as i have to wear wellies and my foot only just goes in.

QA as well DrP .

bonjye
    Free Member

GP here. I’d want to get that sorted today – out of hours GP, walk in clinic or A+E. Might wait until tomorrow but cellulitis can be nasty. Where do you live?

thepurist

I had a large swollen leg after cutting my knee on about day 5 of a 10 day diving trip in the Pacific. It was pretty red & sore by the time I got off the boat but I didn’t fancy the local tin shack medical centre so thought I’d leave it until I got back, by which time it was swelling nicely & tender to the touch.

I went straight to the GP but was told it’d be an age before I could get an appointment with a doctor, but that the nurse could see me that afternoon. Hobbled in to see the nurse, exposed my knee and she said “stay there, I’ll get a doctor” 😀 . He just gave me a course of antibiotics & told me to rest it, with a short term follow up appointment… and the cheery news that if it wasn’t improving on my return they’d need to inject into it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

who sais there isn’t going to be a 2 1/2 hour queue tomorrow morning FFS! Take a book and get it done if it’s a week old you shouldn’t just be sitting back and waiting and if you are now at home you can ring NHS Direct and wait for their 4-5 hours call back!

v8ninety

Good Lord!

Waiting is good. It means you’re not going to die. The person you need to feel sorry for is the one who gets rushed into the ER and treated first.

Don Lundy
    2 1/2hrs isn’t even too bad for an A&E; plus it was probably just a made up ‘triage by patience’ that receptionists across the country excel in…

Tiger6791

This happened to my mate who’s a farrier. Left the bite and refused to go to docs. It got a bit worse and his arm had swelled right up and had blue/black lines now. Found it difficult to nail shoes on so he showed it to the vet. The Vet sent him to hospital and he spent a week on a drip.

So if it goes back, see a vet

Or don’t leave it longer and longer

DezB
    Free Member

Make an “emergency” appointment with your GP tomorrow morning, you’ll be seen the same day and get sorted.
    At least you don’t stink of Langstone mud and get laughed at.

DrP

Or out hours GP……..!!!!!!!!

You need 500mg flucloxacillin four times a day for 7-10 days…..
    Print this out – it might act as a prescription?!!!!

DrP

wwaswas

Out of hours gp service. Don’t wait.

druidh
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    well I went .
    and then came home again .
    2 1/2 hr wait according to the sign in the waiting room, ‘maybe longer ‘ said the lady on reception.
    So its back to plan A . Go early tomorrow morning and hope my leg doesnt fall off in the night .

[img]http://www.shadygamer.com/attachments/not-sure-if-troll-or-just-very-stupid-28n1299498207760-29-jpg.430/[/img]

project
    Free Member

2 and a half hour wait, you will be assed first and if thought serious will be seen sooner.

Spent 2 hours in nhs drop in centre on saturday,very intresting watching the other patients, and wondering what the hell they where for, some seemingly made a total recovery and walked out before being seen, or walked in saw the queue, swore and walked out.

If its serious enough you will be seen faster, you just need to wait, the Nhs is not Asda, where they open another checkout when busy.

DrP

Actually, I’m surprised they didn’t direct you to the ooh GP “check in” at qa reception…?

DrP

Tiger6791

I like STW on days like this

OP: Any doctors here?
    TJ: I’m not a doctor but here’s my advice anyway
    DR: Yes, go see GP not A&E (opposite to TJ advice)
    OP: Thanks for that Doc, I’ll do what TJ says

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tiger. He said GP unavailable. My guess its potentially serious with tht amount of swelling.

I have a history on here of telling people not to waste A&E time when its not needed but in this case I felt it was from the meagre info I had

another GP agreed with me. its a judgement call

benjamins11
    Free Member

Op doesn’t make it clear exactly where it is on the leg, if its on or near a joint could also be a septic arthritis which is doubly bad. 2.5 hour wait or no I’d get it seen soon. Ben (dr)

ratherbeintobago

Agree with Dr P that the OOH GP, or your own GP first thing tomorrow morning is the way forward.

If, however, you start to feel unwell (sweaty/clammy/muscle aches/anything at all) then I strongly recommend going back to A&E the Emergency Dept.

Dr Andy.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I like STW on days like this

OP: Any doctors here?
    DR: Yes, go see GP not A&E (opposite to TJ advice)
    OP: Thanks for that Doc, I’ll do what TJ says

Or alternatively read the whole thread and see that 3 medics, none of whom have seen the patient, have commented: one who said no to A+E and has already diagnosed and prescribed treatment; one who said possibly A+E if you exhaust other options; and another who said ‘ No, sounds like cellulitis to me (though obviously I haven’t seen it and therefore cannot give a proper clinical assessment etc. etc.). Get thaself to A&E forthwith.’

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Oh.

Change of heart from one doc whilst I was typing and another medic saying to give consideration to A and E.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Hospital, take a book and some patience. I’ve read some very nasty stories of spongers getting cuts and nearly dying from infection as they failed to get it treated promptly enough. At least you won’t get hit with a £15K medical bill using the NHS.

singletrackmind

ummm . Mostly the whole leg.
    Well . Not exactly, Red itchy area starts above knee and extends to arch of foot .
    Swelling is from 2″ below knee cap to below ankle ball joint / instep of foot.
    left leg only .Looks like those old ladies legs who have swollen ankles .

Hospitals and I dont get on . Dad died in Royal Surrey with post op complications. QA delivered me to the wrong op theatre .

I feel fine. Just itchy and sensitive leg. Might go back later as most of the queue seemed to be child based . I did ring the walk in center . Same wait 2 1/2 to 3 hrs .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What a stupid comment. He clearly didn’t say that.

He gave his opinion, just like over 20 other people also did.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

TJ bashing, is all.

DrP

I’ve had another think about this, consulted the the text books, and revise my diagnosis.
    It’s cat AIDS…..

DrP
    😉

chipsngravy
    Free Member

2 hours ago the OP posted it would be 2.5 hr wait. Odds are he would have been looked at by now and found out exactly what the issue and subsequent treatment is. Yet he’s still on here being impotent. FFS it’s just a short wait in a hospital.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Is there a Dr in the house ? Bacterial infected leg advice please.’ is closed to new replies.