Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Is there a Dr in the house ? Bacterial infected leg advice please.
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

DrP – and I thought it was either galloping dandruff or glandulous withers. are you sure?

Stainypants

Having spent a fortnight in Macc hospital on IV antibiotics with cellulitus then surgery to chop out the infected bits and a month of having the wound packes i would get to A@E, cellulitus spreads fast.

Nick

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stagnation o’ t’lungs?

ratherbeintobago

Change of heart from one doc whilst I was typing and another medic saying to give consideration to A and E.

Not quite a change of heart – let me put some context on it. I think he needs to see someone who can a) assess properly, and b) prescribe antibiotics if it is cellulitis. This would preclude going to the walk in, which would likely send him on to the ED anyway.

As with Stainypants, I have seen the consequences of cellulitis going bad, though I concede the milder cases don’t come anywhere near me as they are not sick enough to wind up in ITU or to require me to gas them for surgical debridement.

I would still suggest to the OP that if he feels unwell, going to the ED is the best option. If he is otherwise well, then being seen by a GP would seem reasonable. Doesn’t mean he won’t end up in hospital though.

Andy

mauja
    Free Member

I had something similar after an insect bite, leg below the knee down to around the ankle swelled up but this happened a day or two after the bite so not sure if you’re experiencing the same. With mine you could press your fingers into the swelling and see the indentations for a good few minutes afterwards and the swollen leg looked huge next to my other leg.

I saw the doctor as was starting to get a bit worried when it didn’t seem to go down after a day or so, they just advised taking an over the counter anti histamine to help with the itching. Seems it was just a reaction to the bite but took around a week for the swelling to go down completly.

I’m not a doctor and don’t know if you’ve got the same as I had so still think it’d be worth getting it checked out.

singletrackmind

Right . Action .
    Rang the OOH phone line .
    Within 20 min Dr called back .
    Appt booked for 20.00 at QA OOH Gp .
    Should be able to get drugs tonight , or have leg sawed off .
    Many Thanks for the helpful replies
    Rob

Tiger6791

dangerousbeans – Member
    TJ bashing, is all.

I do hope this isn’t a euphemism 😯

DrP

Should be able to get drugs tonight , or have leg sawed off .

Or referral to Dignitas………

DrP

Good luck, btw! We should arrange another ride sometime soon – it’s been too long since the southern factor of STW got together!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tiger6791 – Member

“dangerousbeans – Member
    TJ bashing, is all.”

I do hope this isn’t a euphemism

I am not a bishop

cinnamon_girl

Good luck Rob. 🙂

dannyh
    Free Member

Horse flies – nasty little bastards aren’t they.

I’ve had 2 or 3 courses of antibiotics to clear the bites up – that’s my main advice, get yourself to the quack ASAP, then get to the pharmacy and start taking the course. And finish it. If you’re really desperate, go to A & E or a walk-in centre – it’s a bit of time bomb you’re dealing with.

Just picture one of those time-lapsed petri dished with ecoli multiplying in it – that’s happening in your leg goddamit!

Apparently, the horse flies try to cut out a bit of your skin to take off and eat. In doing so, because they chew rather than ‘plug in’ like a mosquito, they chew all sorts of crap from themselves and the mud on your legs into the wound – meaning a nasty infection is a near certainty.

They also deliberately land on your clothes before crawling onto your skin so there’s less chance of you feeling them – evil, evil, evil.

If your legs are coated in mud from riding, it makes it even easier for the little sods.

Also, elevate your leg when possible to minimise the swelling, the absolute worst part is getting out of bed as the leg has time to settle, then you stand up, and it burns like a poker.

Good luck, and don’t worry about feeling silly at the doctors – they will write you a prescription in a flash for this as they recognise it is really nasty.

damo2576
    Free Member

London School of Tropical Medicine. Mate ended up there after a few misdiagnosis. Lost his leg in the end due to the delay.

cranberry
    Free Member

I struggle with long sentences

Is the OP legless yet ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Lost his leg in the end due to the delay.

The OP hasn’t been diagnosed yet, so misdiagnosis doesn’t appear to be an issue here.

Although it is always nice to think of the worst possible scenario. Not enough people do that.

DezB
    Free Member

First dibs on the 575 if the leg goes

hugor
    Free Member

First dibs on the 575 if the leg goes

Lol harsh!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Yep, there’s plenty of one legged cyclists. Of course your luck might change of it spreads to his other leg DezB – legless cyclists need a completely different sort of bike…….fingers crossed eh ?

singletrackmind

Feckers the lot of you.
    Back in the room .
    DrP wins a prize . 400mg Floxocillin 4 times a day with food.
    Bacterial infection in leg prob caused by open sore after fly bite.
    Referral after 48hrs at local GP, and a nice pen drawing on my leg of a penis

druidh
    Free Member

That took less than 2hrs!

damo2576
    Free Member

That’s what they gave my mate at first.

scaredypants

DrP wins a prize . 4500mg Floxoucloxacillin 4 times a day with food on an empty stomach

Pah, small child’s dose – there’s obviously nowt wrong with you, despite the creeping paralysis of your typing finger

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Any pics of your, erm, ‘swelling’?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, wonder if he’s still alive?

hora
    Free Member

Don’t muck about. As soon as you realise its infected go and see your GP.

I had two infected bites that started tracking up my leg. It wiped me out for weeks and I had to take numerous antibiotics!

DezB
    Free Member

Don’t worry, he’ll be up to his eyeballs in hops and stuff by now.

brakes
    Free Member

after having just spent the long weekend with someone who was prescribed antibiotics by an out of hours GP on Saturday and spent Monday/ Tuesday admitted into hospital to receive IV antibiotics I would suggest you get this checked out as soon as possible.
    infections can kill very quickly.

Rickos
    Free Member

Do many people post before reading the thread? Just wondering like…
    🙂

brakes
    Free Member

do you know what I struggle with long sentences means?

DrP

after having just spent the long weekend with someone who was prescribed antibiotics by an out of hours GP on Saturday and spent Monday/ Tuesday admitted into hospital to receive IV antibiotics I would suggest you get this checked out as soon as possible.
    infections can kill very quickly.

Or they can get better with simple oral medication….?!
    TBH, I’d say you’d need a prompt review again in 2-3 days to ensure you’re improving and remain well.

DrP

brakes
    Free Member

Or they can get better with simple oral medication

unless the Doctor prescribes the wrong type of simple oral medication which doesn’t work leaving the patient 3 days further into the infection before the correct drugs were prescribed 💡 👿

Drac

Get to…oh wait.

2.5 hour wait at A+E that’s bloody good that must have been quiet.

Hope you’re on the mend, I got an infection like that from Mozzie bites and was unwell for 2 weeks even with antibiotics.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wrong type ?

It might be ineffective, but why would it be the “wrong” type ?

Is waiting on a path lab report instead of putting the patient on antibiotics immediately really the best option ? Specially if there is a very high probably that a fairly broad spectrum antibiotic will work ?

I don’t know btw, just asking.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Perhaps it needs a ‘Big Hitter’ antibiotic, one that will keep going on & on at the infection, whatever it is, until it just gives up? 😈

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well there is certainly what you might call a ‘Big Hitter’ antibiotic when it comes to veterinary issues chessyfeet, Synulox seem to work in at least 90% of cases – whatever the bacterial problem and whatever the species ! I generally keep a supply precisely because of that. And Baytril seems work in most of the remaining cases. ‘Big Hitter’ antibiotics indeed ! Although I accept that for humans it’s probably not that simple.

brakes
    Free Member

Wrong type ?

It might be ineffective, but why would it be the “wrong” type ?

you’re right in your assertion that it was ineffective, but I say it was the wrong type of antibiotic because the condition was obvious and common (trust me on this one) and an effective antibiotic to treat this condition should have been obvious (Penicillin-based).
    the only reason that I can think of that the Doctor would have prescribed the drug they did was because (I think) it was not based on Penicillin and despite the patient having taken Penicillin two weeks before the Doctor did not have the patient’s notes and was therefore nervous about prescribing a Penicillin-based antibiotic in case (and despite assurances to the contrary) the patient was allergic.
    these thoughts are based on the non-candid opinion of the hospital Doctor (do I need to capitalise Doctor) who was seen latterly.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I see, well let’s hope that singletrackmind hasn’t seen an incompetent doctor and that he has been given the “correct” antibiotic.

The jury’s still out on whether he’s going to lose his leg…..these things can happen you know. And it’s always worth keeping in mind the worst possible scenario. No one likes surprises.

DrP

I doubt anyone was/will be incompetent…..

Not everybody responds “as you expect”, so therefore the skill not only lies in making a diagnosis and offering treatment, but managing the unexpected and relaying his o the patient.
    Ultimately the Dr takes this responsibility when making/treating the initial diagnosis (which is why I get paid what I do – my job is all about managing and containing risk)

If we were to treat all people as “worst case scenarios” the hospitals and surgeons tables would be unmanageably full!!

DrP

highclimber
    Free Member

did you get a picture. I’d like to see one if there is!

scaredypants

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Hmm, no activity from the OP.

What’s the form here? Show concern or start calling ‘dibs’ on his kit?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Is there a Dr in the house ? Bacterial infected leg advice please.’ is closed to new replies.