Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Is the Pike dead???
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Just wondering if it's going to be phased out as the rev now has more travel and the Pike looks exactly as it did a couple of years ago.

Does that mean the users of pikes are expected to up to lyrics or change down to revs?

Thoughts?

khani
    Free Member

I thought that's what the new sektor was for

elaineanne
    Free Member

geez for a moment there i thought our pike had fallen down or sommet ? ! phew thats a relif then… 😉

giddyrob
    Free Member

Had revs on my hardtail for a while now. Not really new. Would be nice to replace my pikes with some lyrics when the wallet feels a bit heavy. Might be a while 🙁

elaineanne
    Free Member

oops forgot my pike then…..

Stoodley Pike

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I've gone with some new coil Sektors to replace my Pikes, so we'll see…

giddyrob
    Free Member

k, so the pike is dead.

What is the difference between a sektor and a rev? Both 150mm travel.

giddyrob
    Free Member

ah, the sektor the budget rev. Looks like it.

craig1975
    Free Member

why replace them with Lyriks ?? whats wrong with just servicing your pikes and keeping them running ??

Ive had my coil u-turn 454 Pikes for nearly three years.. i service them myself a couple of times a year and there still working perfect.. i have no need to replace them…

GSuperstar
    Free Member

Because a lot of people like to have the latest and greatest?

Like it or not when a model of anything becomes discontinued it loses a certain amount of appeal unless it reaches a 'retro/niche' status.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

revs aren't coil

if you want coil then it's Sektors, or Pikes. But Sektors are quite a bit cheaper.

craig1975
    Free Member

if i had air pikes id service them and keep them running too…

pikes are very good forks.. the new technology hasn't changed that much in the new models of forks… and i don't buy into the weight issue bollocks either.. unless you race of coarse…

Northwind

The 140mm Argyll seems to pretty much take up the gap left by the air Pike, some people are suggesting it's the exact same fork though I don't know about that.

Wouldn't agree with the comment about "changing down" to Revs though, the current Rev's a little less stiff than the Pike but it's still operating in the same territory, air or not. I know some people just prefer the idea of coil but I'm unconvinced that it's the advantage some say, and since the latest Rev maxle is around 1700 grams that's a fair drop over coil pikes.

giddyrob
    Free Member

I have coil pikes at the mo so I would want the air lyrics. My frame can take the travel lyrics have so as long as they are u-turn it's all good. As mentioned the pikes are meant to be stiffer so wouldn't want to put revs on.

Northwind

They're stiffer, but Revs aren't exactly flexy, I doubt it'd give you any bother- the Rev's certainly more than capable of anything you're likely to put a 140mm fork to.

Mugboo

Sorry about this Hijack – Northwind –

I am about to fit a Blackspire Stinger to my 08 Hemlock and read somewhere the other day that youv'e done it and it was a pig of a job. Put one on my Summer Season yesterday and it was easy enough.

What was the problem?

giddyrob
    Free Member

I certainly appreciated the stiffness in NZ with the Pikes! Rocky descents and dropoff's galore!

Northwind

Mugboo, the Stinger backplate would occupy the same space as the front of the chainstay, so I had to cut a big halfcircle out of the backplate to give it clearance. Not at all difficult, just faffy, as long as you have a grinder or a dremel, or a drill or hacksaw and some patience. The Gamut one looks like it might clear it OK but I'm happy enough with the stinger, it doesn't affect the function at all (I might remove more material just for weight, the plate is enormous overkill) It's pretty obvious what's needed when you put them together.

Mugboo

Cheers Northwind

takisawa2

Just swapped my 454 Coil Pike for an 09' 426 Maxle Air Rev after trying some QR Air Revs for a few weeks.
    Pike to Maxle Rev…no difference in stifness that I can tell.
    QR Rev to maxle Rev…Maxle is stiffer, but only after a few rides does it really become apparent. Pike could hold a line better over stupidly rough terrain. Rev not as plush as the Pike, more stiction, but I was expecting that as its an air fork. Rev is a fair bit lighter. The bike (Ventana El-Ciclon) feels more balanced now, but front end lifts easy on steep climbs.
    Very pleased though.

A lot of nay-sayers on the stifness thing but I'd not go back to a QR fork now that Bolt-Thru's are as light as the Revs.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just unpacked my new coil U-turn Sektors – lovely 8)

reggiegasket
    Free Member

double post

Northwind

No bother Mugboo, you'd have figured it out yourself anyway I'm sure 😉

Takisawa, the 09 Maxle Rev was a very close relative of the Pike, shared a lot of parts… The current one is a totally different design and chassis, and is built a bit lighter (down sub 1700g, which is nuts for a 150mm fork but it works). If it's a new fork, you should find it loosens up a little once it's been run in too.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

QUOTE:
    #
    reggiegasket – Member

Just unpacked my new coil U-turn Sektors – lovely
    Posted 22 hours ago # Report-Post
    UNQUOTE.

Full product review once you've had a chance to test them out please!

GW
    Free Member

140mm Argyles? really? WTF for?

Argyles should have been internally adjustable from 60-100mm from the start never u-turn adjustable at the other end of the travel scale!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Full product review once you've had a chance to test them out please!

They certainly look good, and feel plush but I'm waiting on my new frame before I can actually ride them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was in Bad Ass Bikes earlier and had a look at the new Rockshox:

Sektor coil
    Sektor solo air (15mm)
    Revelation, with black box damper

The lowers design all look the same. I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of heft on the Sektor coil. Hmmm.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

GW- intended use is slopestyle events. Which seems pretty reasonable to me. And it's not U-turn either.

bravohotel9er
    Free Member

PIKE still alive and well at TFTuned. They're selling them for just under £400 and set them up for you pre-dispatch too.

yunki
    Free Member

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Is the Pike dead???’ is closed to new replies.