Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is my steerer too short?
  • Aus
    Free Member

Hardtail with Pace RC36 90mm forks and Thomson stem.

The steerer is c.10mm from the top of the stem, but the steerer (just) covers both the clamp bolts and the stem clamp thingy.

Is this OK, or in danger of failing?!

Ta

nuke

Thomson say 3mm but I’ve read a few people using them with more of a gap than that. Up to you although personally I wouldn’t bother risking it…low stack headsets or stems can be bought: some fsa stems are 35mm, CB headset is 21mm

coatesy
    Free Member

probably wouldn’t recommend it myself, you could try a longer steerer if you’re worried, Tim at Fork English will probably have one, we may have one in our spares box too depending on length.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I think 10mm is too much Austin

MrNutt
    Free Member

get a zero stack headset, job done 🙂

stooo
    Free Member

Sounds a bit much to me… not sure what stack height your stem is, or headset, but as mentioned… you could look to see if you can get lower.

I had similar problem putting an old fork on a new frame that had a longer head tube. I ended up with a Sunline XC stem – the on-one ultralight stem is pretty much the same thing and on offer just now… both are 35mm stack height. I’ve got one of each.

Also – Sunline AM stems are 34mm stack.

Headset wise, crank bros seem to be the lowest without going internal.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all – confirms my suspicion that ’tis a bit risky. Sadly the steerer is bonded so not changeable. will look at headsets

reggiegasket
    Free Member

sunline AM stems have a low stack height, about 32mm ish I think

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is my steerer too short?’ is closed to new replies.