Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Is my neighbour deaf or just rude?
  • MRanger156
    Free Member

I have just bought my first house and love it. The only thing that is not great about it is my neighbour (semi-detached house). He lives alone and is about 50 years old and in the evenings plays his TV very loud and even leaves it on when he goes out for up to several hours, the bass goes through my house making watching my TV annoying and sleeping in the big bedroom difficult. He also plays classical music very loud at about 5am for an hour 3-4 times a week which wakes me up.

I’m not having this as it will drive me mad and I don’t think its acceptable, so last night I went round several times to introduce myself and calmly discuss the noise issue. He didn’t answer the door on any occasion.

I’m going to try again tonight as don’t really want to leave a note. If this doesn’t work then I will not be happy!

MrGrim

Was the house strangely cheap?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just speak to him, I moved into an end terrace a few years back, the previous owner was deaf so never complained about the noise.

It will be hard to say something but worth it,

If not, get a bigger stereo and play Limp Bizkit’s Hot Dog on repeat.

Beagleboy

Surely the loud music is simply to drown out the screams of his victims? If he opens the door in wellies and a plastic pinny, with a meatcleaver in his hand, don’t come dragging your mutilated body to me looking for sympathy.

I reckon a polite word with him when you get the chance is the first step forward. My mum was deaf as a post and didn’t realise how earsplitting loud her telly was until we finally got it through to her. She turned it down and started using subtitles after that.

MRanger156
    Free Member

Will try to have a work tonight, hopefully catch him in a good mood!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If that doesn’t work, just get on to the council and have them deal with it – it isn’t acceptable and they should help you get a resolution.

And don’t worry about offending the neighbour – you have a right to silence, especially at 5am!

Cougar

On the upside, you’re in a semi-detached with a deaf neighbour. Win.

z1ppy

Just speak to him

+1, you can alway go down the council noise abatement route later.

When I moved into my first flat, the tenant above used to come in late turn the then radio on loud (talk/news stuff). It really wound me up, so one night I went up to ask him to lower volume. Pressed the timed light switch, went up, knocked on door… door opens suddenly, neighbour stick his head out, eyes starring around madly. I say “can you turn the radio down please”, he says “yes” slams door in my face, light on the hall go out leaving me in pitch darkness out side this mad mans door (no idea where light switch is on this landing, I scrambled down the stairs in the dark).. Quite tramatic @ the time, but he didn’t turn it up loud afterwards.

A quiet word can often go a long way.

wwaswas

A quiet word can often go a long way

not if he’s deaf 😉

zippykona

Could ask him to move his telly. Probably deaf but music in the morning wouldn’t happen twice if he was my neighbour.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The aresholis upstairs-one up one down property- has bolted his 60″ Samsung Super Megatron Surround Sound Cinema to the wall.

If anyone lives in a cheapo Wimpey new-build, they can understand the walls are made of Balsa.

Unfortunately, even quiet words and a reduction of volume on his part have amounted to nowt ’cause even the slightest tremble trickles down.

I just turn mine up. He works shifts so when he’s up, I sleep and vice-versa.
    We don’t talk now. I rent, he owns.
    Blah.

z1ppy

boom..tish, I get your coat shall I (@ WWW)

justatheory
    Free Member

Try to resolve informally by politely introducing yourself and mentioning it, chances are he might not be aware the noise is causing a nuisance. If the noise continues report it to your local council.

wwaswas

word of warning – if you do go down the council route it will be recorded and come up on any search a future purchaser of your property might make.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

There is that, but anyone looking at the report would know it was x years earlier (assuming he doesn’t go and sell straight away) and should have the confidence to know the problem has been resolved. In fact they could take it almost as a guarantee of quietness.

z1ppy

Indeedy, you will be asked about any disputes involving your neighbours, & will have to declare this ‘incident’ when selling your property (if you go down the council route).

EDIT: Trouble is M_F, ppl aren’t rational are they? It’s doubtful they’ll see it that way, they will see that you had a noisey neighbour from hell who couldn’t be dealt with politely, you had to involve the ‘law’

MRanger156
    Free Member

The council route is a last resort in my opinion. Lets just hope he doesn’t realise the effect he is having.

billysugger
    Free Member

He’s rude.

I can tell from here.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

EDIT: Trouble is M_F, ppl aren’t rational are they? It’s doubtful they’ll see it that way, they will see that you had a noisey neighbour from hell who couldn’t be dealt with politely, you had to involve the ‘law’

Possibly I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I had a similar issue briefly with the teenage daughter of next door . Mum would go out and disco would come on – i was feeling ill with stomach cramps big time so just reached over to the remote and stuck on run to the hills / iron maiden for about 30 seconds at full bore from my stereo . Strangely quiet after that 🙂

Muke
    Free Member

My elderly neighbour listens to AC/DC at high volume…..

She has no choice, thats the way I play it 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Had this recently when new renters moved in next door. Got myself worked up about it and finally decided to go around one afternoon when it was especially loud. Rang the bell and tapped on the door…nothing. tapping got louder. In the end, I was thumping the door with the bottom of my fist as I’d made my knuckles sore by knocking. Finally got an answer. I think they were on the back foot due to my hammering on the door. Anyway, I was calm and quiet as I spoke to them, they were apologetic and It’s been fine the last couple of weeks.

Good luck.

wwaswas

All my negihbours were outside my house at 2am making a dreadful noise the other night.

Fortunately I was still up and playing my new drum kit so it didn’t disturb me.

restless
    Free Member

I have been dealing with environmental health dept about my noisy neighbours for over 2 yrs now. They are scum who do not abide to any rules or laws, but I expect your neighbour is probably not as bad.

It is not an overnight fix.
    If your neighbour is approachable then much better to speak to him first.

Cougar

My elderly neighbour listens to AC/DC at high volume…..

She has no choice, thats the way I play it

Cougar likes this.

ourmaninthenorth

This is one of the reasons why I was determined that, when we moved house last year, it would be to a detached house.

We had what one could politely term “inconsiderate” neighbours. I do hope the people who bought our house don;t have to suffer as we did.

Kryton57

I had a similar issue briefly with the teenage daughter of next door . Mum would go out and ….

I’m confident the rest of that para was made up…

😯 8)

xiphon
    Free Member

Borrow some subs and crank this up loud.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htm_956k5ps[/video]

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh dear I can see the neighbour from hell … Benelli M4?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I have been dealing with environmental health dept about my noisy neighbours for over 2 yrs now. They are scum who do not abide to any rules or laws…

Know what you mean, bloody government departments! 🙄

globalti
    Free Member

We had a problem when violent drug dealers moved in next door with dogs that barked and whined all night, Police raids, visitors banging on their door all night, bonfires when they burned all the packaging, all night boom-boom music and all kinds of stuff coming over the wall.

We moved house. The house was re-sold three times in the next four years.

MRanger156
    Free Member

I went round tonight and met my neighbor and chatted about the noise. Turns out he’s a really nice guy and said he’ll try to keep the tv down and that the 5am noise was his alarm clock but will try to sort something out. Now feeling a little embarrassed but glad the situation is better and got to know that my neighbour is a good guy. Time will tell if he’s true to his word and I think sound proof panels will be part of the decorating!

TheFlyingOx

Fight fire with fire. It’s the only way. We used to have a right set of inconsiderate barstools lived next to us. Thing dance beats coming through the walls for roughly 18 hours a day. I’d go round and it’d get turned down for half an hour or so, then back up to way over annoyance level.

In the end, I put 2Pac’s “Hit ‘Em Up” on single track repeat, pointed the speakers at the adjoining wall, cranked the volume up and left the house for the weekend. They moved out the following week.

chewkw
    Free Member

MRanger156 – Member

I went round tonight and met my neighbor and chatted about the noise. Turns out he’s a really nice guy and said he’ll try to keep the tv down and that the 5am noise was his alarm clock but will try to sort something out. Now feeling a little embarrassed but glad the situation is better and got to know that my neighbour is a good guy.

Glad to hear that everything is sorted without Benelli. 🙂

Cougar

Turns out he’s a really nice guy

If he’s good to his word, send him a box of chocs or something.

user-removed
    Free Member

MRanger – glad your situation is (hopefully) sorted.

Globalti –

We had a problem when violent drug dealers moved in next door

Understatement award of the week goes to you.

hora
    Free Member

Hopefully hes not like the one I had.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Cougar- Box of chocs? He’ll think you’re coming on to him.

Why not beer?

Markie
    Free Member

Great result.

teef
    Free Member

I bet he keeps quiet for a week or two and then it’ll all start up again

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Is my neighbour deaf or just rude?’ is closed to new replies.