Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Is my clutch mech breaking my hanger?
  • stumpy120
    Free Member

Right then,

I have a Titus FTM Carbon, about 6 weeks ago I crashed and broke the rear hanger and the mech which was a Shimano XT non-clutch type.

Replaced the hanger and got a new Shimano XT clutch mech. Two rides later on a descent I hear a strange noise, look down and the mech is hanging loose and the hanger is broken. Pretty sure I hadn’t hit it off anything and there are no marks on the mech.

Replaced the hanger again and got on with riding. Then last night on a descent, same thing! Strange noise, look down, mech hanging off. Again almost 100% sure that I hadn’t hit it off anything and no obvious damage or marks on the mech.

So is the clutch mech putting too much strain on the hanger or have I just been unlucky? Someone asked this same question on MTBR and got a bit rubbished but he had the same scenario as me changing to a clutch mech.

Should I go back to a non-clutch mech or is there something else I’m missing?

Cheers

wwaswas

chain too short?

can you disengage the clutch to see if that’s the issue?

retro83
    Free Member

I wondered about this, the effective chainstay length on some full-suses changes as the suspension goes through its travel.
    Does the clutch allow the angle of the dangle to change freely enough not to load up the hanger/interfere with suspension movement?

wwaswas

Does the clutch allow the angle of the dangle to change freely enough not to load up the hanger/interfere with suspension movement?

I’m having a similar thought – that the forces trying to move the mech are too much for the hanger to cope with with a clutch and it gets fatigued/suddenly fails.

stumpy120
    Free Member

I had thought the first time that the chain had been too short so made sure it was definitely long enough the second time round but it made no difference.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

it broke mine on my ftm carbon 3 times at the bolt hole nearest the edge

stumpy120
    Free Member

That’s where mine is breaking.

Have you gone back to a non-clutch mech or have you managed to solve the problem another way?

rocketman
    Free Member

The forces have to go somewhere.

Hanger = weakest link

plyphon
    Free Member

without “jumping in the grave” – if you’re selling that clutch mech I’m in the market :p

stumpy120
    Free Member

It’ll be getting a transfer to a different bike.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

new bike cured it – the hangers were so weak and none in stock so flogged the bike!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Is my clutch mech breaking my hanger?’ is closed to new replies.