Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Beckham not even in the Top 1,000 players of the last 40 years…
  • johndoh
    Free Member
    yossarian
    Free Member

Limited in some areas, extravagantly talented in others. A player with a sum total greater than the parts. Definitely in the top 1000 premiership players, waddle is talking shite.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Attention seeking comments from Waddle to the BBC, most likely after Hansens job now his off. He should stick to the singing, was always better at that than football.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

T’Waddle

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Wait! Hansens off, to where, does this mean I can watch MOTD again?

teadrinker
    Free Member

Wait! Hansens off, to where, does this mean I can watch MOTD again?

Brilliant isn’t it! The rumours I’ve heard are the new BT sports channel thing.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Did he actually say Premiership players, or just players? he was including players from the 70s so presume the latter.

I kinda agree with Waddle in some respects.

Garry_Lager

You could have a conversation over whether he cracks the top 100 maybe, but obv he’s in the top 1000 players ever to kick a ball in the premiership.

Beckham had a lot of artisan qualities to his game [including the ability to absolutely run his bollox off for 90 mins], so you can see an artist like Waddle not being especially impressed. Striking the ball, though – Beckham was a magician.

Think you’d need to have been a match going Utd fan ( 😉 ) to really know what Beckham was like as a player. Most of us just saw the highlight crosses / freekicks and shite England games. Don’t really know how he rated as someone who could control games, create openings etc. week in week out.

emac65
    Free Member

Think Beckham could teach Waddle a thing or two on how to take penalties ………….

crankbreaker

emac…take it you’ve forgotten about Portugal 2004…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvGgb-P_7Y[/video]

Apologies for the ridiculous laughter track! Some points agree with Waddle, Beckham just loved to play football and worked hard at it. Still would’ve said top 1000 he’d make it in.

vickypea
    Free Member

Waddle’s comments seemed a bit bitter and twisted to me. Jealous maybe?

emac65
    Free Member

No,but Waddle’s sticks in my mind more & it’s the only thing I remember about him as a player…………..

mikey74
    Free Member

I think Waddle is wrong about him not being in the top 1000, but he is right about him being overrated as a player. His reputation is mainly based on his marketing and a couple of key moments in football matches he has milked.

Good luck to him, I say.

zokes
    Free Member

The only thing Waddle’s ever done of note is have his name appear in The Fast Show…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

High’s and lows, never really reached his full potential think a lot of the other stuff got in the way probably

I saw him play at Villa Park once and he didn’t really stand out.

High was against Greece in the qualifier, that was the best i ever saw him play…

low was the qualifier against Croatia in 2007, he laid on a great ball on to Crouchy for us to equalise, but then proceeded to rush around, like we needed a winning goal, when we didn’t, failing to control the game and kept giving the ball away. He kicked it back to there guy in play instead of booting it into row z… and then they scored

but he was way past his best by then.

bhmartin
    Free Member

Saw him play for Man U and R.Madrid and the best right footed passer of a ball I have seen live and I support the baggies and Malaga

matt_bl
    Free Member

Given the complete tossers Waddle bought when he was the manager of my club, I would advise everyone to ignore anything he has to say on the subject of football players.

Matt

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Harsh by Waddle and hints of sour grapes. A great player is not just about doing a trick or two. Beckhams consistency, attitude, work rate and ovrall impact on games over his career is remarkable. His popularity with england fans has been because of these virtues which have shone through and overcome his glitzy media image.

allthepies
    Free Member

Complete tosh by Waddle IMO.

Crag
    Free Member

Probably the most over rated player of his generation, fuelled by the media frenzy that followed him. That said, still a half decent footballer. Kind of see Waddles point but not sure who the 1000 better players would be.

allthepies
    Free Member

Well certainly not Chris Waddle 😉

MoreCashThanDash

I doubt Beckham is bothered by that from the man who made that awful record with Hoddle….

Had the pleasure of seeing Beckham captain England twice in person – one of which was the Greece qualifier at Old Trafford. I would suggest that the guts and effort he displayed that day easily overshadowed any relative lack of skill. I would even suggest that he was possibly the last England player who cared more about his country than about fame and money, though he already had plenty of that.

Like Keegan, Bryan Robson, Stuart Pearce, Terry Butcher, Tony Adams, it was the passion and hard work that helped set him apart rather than god given skills

shermer75
    Free Member

I actually LIKED this when I was a kid. Sheesh!!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KEMMfV5-Qg[/video]

MSP

I always thought that Beckham’s biggest problem was that in his England role he was overused tactically on the pitch, it always seemed that all they considered was getting the ball out to him so he could put it in the box, therefore neutralising the rest of the midfield.

Wasn’t his fault, it was a management decision, but I do think it was a big part of that generation not reaching the highs it could have. Unfortunately for him it will reflect on his legacy as a player.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

waddle>beckham

obelix
    Free Member

Beckham was always more about his brand than his playing ability.

chewkw
    Free Member

ththththththh …. ththhthththh … Chris Waddle.

DezB
    Free Member

“He has got a terrific image and used it very well. He never had a trick, wasn’t particularly quick, but he was very good at set-pieces and deliveries, he made chances and made goals and was fantastic for clubs.
    “He said the right things, he sold shirts, he put money in the tills wherever he went and conducted himself well.”

Spot on.
    Doesn’t sound like sour grapes, sounds like a fair assessment.

aracer
    Free Member

Where is his top 1000 list?

johndoh
    Free Member

Spot on.
    Doesn’t sound like sour grapes, sounds like a fair assessment.

Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be in the top 1000 though. Waddle is talking shit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You could have a conversation over whether he cracks the top 100 maybe, but obv he’s in the top 1000 players ever to kick a ball in the premiership.

THIS
    He made the premiership team of the decade so Waddle is talking bosh

He was limited in some respects but what he could do he coudl do better than anyone else – set pieces, excellent crosser as well

you cant win 4 leagues whilst being crap or lucky
    played for two of the best teams in europe and PNE

Edukator
    Free Member

it always seemed that all they considered was getting the ball out to him so he could put it in the box, t

Well as he was the only attacking player not to go to pieces when wearing national kit it was not such a bad idea to give Beckham the ball.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Raises interesting questions about talent, he said he was not the most talented, but that he made the most of what he had. Reflects ideas about the fixedness of talent, as a trait, can it be increased, is it innate? Mabe he wasn’t the most talented, he may still be one of the best.

edhornby

ok so which of the Iron Pyrites generation was a cut above Beckham ? I can’t think of any england players who were really special

there are lots of overseas players, like Thierry Henry, Denis Bergkamp etc who were better than Beckham but no english players of that generation at that level either
    I seem to remember George Best said ‘not quick, one foot, can’t dribble or tackle but apart from that yeah!’
    but Waddle’s assessment is right, made the most of his talent and worked a damn sight harder than lots of others

Mungus – interesting point, I always point to Malcolm Gladwells book Outliers (the theory of the 10,000 hours). My experience of musicians (I know jack about football) is that most really do have similar levels of innate talent and that those who work the hardest set themselves apart by extracting maximum value from that talent

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I can’t think of any england players who were really special

Paul Scholes by a country mile.

But Beckham was still awesome!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Beckham not even in the Top 1,000 players of the last 40 years…

Says Waddle.

A good player, but probably not in the top 1000 players of the last 40 years.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Two average player moments:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCeOo0QLxAw[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRrqgwCjNL0[/video]

😉

mudshark
    Free Member

Beckham played for England about twice as many times as Waddle did.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Beckham not even in the Top 1,000 players of the last 40 years…’ is closed to new replies.