Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Is Lotts Wood back on the race calender for 2013
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Loved that little XC course and was sad when it went. But I’ve heard a whisper that mountain bike racing might return there?

ononeorange

It would be brilliant if it did! Right on my doorstep and as you say very enjoyable.

Post up if you hear anything.

oldgit
    Free Member

Well there’s ‘stuff’ going on there already so fingers crossed.

Murray

Trails have been cleared but it needs more traffic to clear the undergrowth. After it was logged I thought that was the end of it but it is pretty much back the way it was. Off to ride it tomorrow at lunchtime as usual.

oldgit
    Free Member

Good stuff.

ononeorange

Really? That’s excellent news! I had given up on it and (clearly) not been in for a long time although I pass it regularly climbing up from the Misbourne Valley to ride home via the woods opposite.

Given the winter monsoon season is about to start rendering everywhere else unrideable in 5 minutes flat, I will be out there a little, I think.

I could never properly master that 180 degree turn through a ditch.

soobalias
    Free Member

if its rideable i will run some tyres over it in the winter months, great fun loop

what “stuff” is going on Oldgit, last time i passed that way i thought even the little orange flags on the bypass had been removed, the closure of the dogging carpark made access more difficult, but i can build it into a ride from home.

tinsy
    Free Member

That stupid little course is so flippin hard to ride, it always seems a lot longer lap than the actual milage, & its hard on the bike too.

Not raced for a few years why did they stop using it?

ononeorange

The Forestry Commission ripped parts of it up when they harvested in there, I believe.

Murray

Lott’s Wood was thinned to remove non-native trees. Tall trees were left for raptors (I often watch the red kites circling from my home office). It was very chewed up after the logging but has recovered remarkably well (not just the trails, the whole wood looks alive again). IMHO good, sustainable management of the forest.

You can park on the road – that’s what the dog walkers do. Just over the railway bridge is a space completely off the road. Not heard of any doggers since the car park shut.

Summit MTB’s status update

stevepitch
    Free Member

I ride lotts wood regularly and was there on sunday, despite the horrendous mess the FC left it does indeed seem to be clearing up I normally only ride the outer loop but most of the inner sections are fine (if you like bramble and nettle whipping). Hopefully it’ll be fully cleared as it is a fun loop considering the small space its in.

soobalias
    Free Member

“open to summit members”
    “no riding at night”

members only is it now?

ononeorange

Ooops…hadn’t realised that there was a nighttime ban……

Alex

Back in the day, Simon from Chiltern 1XV and now Summit worked out some leasing thing I think with FC. We built some of the original trails. Ace little wood that. Pic from the very first race.

Lotts Wood XC racing by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

The man himself racing. He’s a bit thinner nowadays as well!

ddmonkey

I loved that Lotts Wood circuit, a real pocket race track packed into such a small space, and there was never any let up when you tried to ride fast. I live in the Alps now and I still miss having it on my doorstep.

soobalias
    Free Member

I normally only ride the outer loop but most of the inner sections are fine

most of the very outside line is clear and some bomb-hole stuff

Trails have been cleared but it needs more traffic to clear the undergrowth

the trails that have been cleared need more traffic, but they are followable

pretty much back the way it was

no, this is not true, huge sections of the course as i remember it have disappeared, about half way round after you climb next to the railway line…. it disappears after you cross the entrance/exit. the return line that ran just inside of that is gone, the 180/ditch is buried, as is everything up to the final climb to the start/finish, except a crude drop that has been built.

there is riding there, you can string together a nice 10min loop, but dont go out of your way for it at present.

oldgit
    Free Member

Any further news on XC racing there for 2013?

oldgit
    Free Member

Bump

Anything?
    I need a new bike, mines falling apart. If local XC racing is diminishing I won’t bother getting a race orientated bike, and I’ll go for something that’ll be more fun and give the XC racing idea up.

Road and cross is booming here, so there’s always a fix available for old wanabees.

oldgit
    Free Member

Quarterly bumpette.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Is Lotts Wood back on the race calender for 2013’ is closed to new replies.