Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Did, and if so why, 'wheelie' get chaged to 'manual'?
  • TuckerUK
    Free Member

When did the perfectly good term ‘wheelie’ which described the process of making progress on just the back wheel, get changed to ‘manual’, and for the Flying Spaghetti Monster’s sake why?

Or have I got confused and it hasn’t?

cooie

With a manual you don’t pedal

Well you obviously do to get started, but then you’re coasting on the back wheel

Aidy
    Free Member

wheelie is pedaling, manual is freewheeling.

mmel
    Free Member

as above, the manual is all about balancing on the back wheel without pedaling

SaxonRider

I didn’t know there was a difference. Huh. I guess there are TWO things I can’t do then. 😕

simon1975

Manual is short for Manual Wheelie…

D0NK

wheelying is trying too hard manualling is effortlessly cool 🙂

DrP

RTFM….

DrP

scaredypants

wheelies are rad
    manuals are awsum

scaredy isn’t

bencooper
    Free Member

What about endo vs. stoppie?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Endo is just lifting the back up as you stop. Stoppie is feathering the brake and balancing to sustain a bit of movement.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about “film” v “edit”?

Oh, and all chavs can wheelie better than you. FACT.

binners

D0NK

Oh, and all chavs can wheelie better than you. FACT.

I was going to go with “chavvy” rather than “trying too hard” but didn’t want to be accused of being chavist. Not seen many (any?) chavs doing manuals.

edit and was there some ninja editing to your title tucker? could have fixed the “chaged” while you were at it 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What about “film” v “edit”?

You edit something together, you don’t film it together. Edit to me would imply a short film, possibly with multiple camera-persons. Hence one person didn’t ‘film’ it, but did edit it together.

Bit like the technical definitions of screw and bolt though (and before anyone says one of the definitions, even ASME/ASTM/etc can’t come up with a set of definitions so don’t try and quote one).

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Endo is just lifting the back up as you stop. Stoppie is feathering the brake and balancing to sustain a bit of movement.

I thought ‘endo’ was short for end over end i.e. a stoppie that goes beyond the point of no return. Could be wrong of course.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Endo is a nose wheelie in other parlance.

Confusing, isn’t it?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Good to see consistency in the answers 😆

alpin
    Free Member

manual… unweight the front and move your weight back to get front wheel in the air. arse off the saddle, not pedalling.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhAYx_fCcv8[/video]

wheelie… initial pedal input to get front wheel in the air, sitting and maybe pedalling to maintain.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTXncL71jqY[/video]

if you can wheelie without having to constantly pedal then try standing and then coasting on the back wheel. i find the hardest part with a manual is unweighting the front.

higgo
    Free Member

Can I just say this thread is of no relevance to me.

I’ve been riding bikes for approx 40years and have only ever three ‘tricks’:
    ~ OTB
    ~ High-side
    ~ lose back end and slide into tree.

Superficial
    Free Member

With a manual you don’t pedal

Well you obviously do to get started, but then you’re coasting on the back wheel

IMO it’s not a manual if you’re pedalling at any point. You can pedal up into a wheelie, find the balance point and roll (especially downhill) and control the position by just feathering the rear brake. I.e. you’re rolling along on the back wheel and not pedalling, but it’s still not a manual. It’s a coaster wheelie (and you’re probably sitting down).

In a manual you’re standing the whole time, and no pedalling.

Endo = not moving (brake locked)
    Stoppie = moving (feather the brake)

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Well, I’ve learnt something new today. 🙄

Now I’ll have to go back and read every article/thread again now I know the correct meaning! 😳

Cheers chaps.

kudos100
    Free Member

The elusive stoppie. Not really that useful, but looks damn cool. One day I have a proper go at learning how to do them.

Pedalling into a manual is also great, but again is only useful for looking cool 8)

Sandwich

Higgo

+1 🙂

Not been riding as long but I’m probably of a similar age.

traildog
    Free Member

Stoppies are extremely useful because the rear wheel is lifted you can then move it to another angle while maintaining momentum.

alexcornwall
    Free Member

practice your stoppies down a steep bank 😉

alpin
    Free Member

kudos100 – Member

The elusive stoppie. Not really that useful, but looks damn cool.

stoppie at 0:50…
    [video]http://vimeo.com/6503163[/video]

Rorschach
    Free Member

Endo is NOT a nose wheelie and neither is it a stoppy.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4KvbS4Z9FQA[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1wD5ibdqL4[/video]

xiphon
    Free Member

Wheelie = sitting down, coasting and pedalling. You can wheelie uphill…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4Qej2QIRTc[/video]

Manual = standing up, pushing with your hips, feathering your brake.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WWTHi6v8aU[/video]

Endo = slam on the brakes (lock them) and pivot on the front wheel. Used in trials quite a bit..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJa5kW3YW20[/video]

Stoppie = feathering the front brake, gradually pulling harder, while balancing over the front wheel

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNT6R-VkiPI[/video]

D0NK

Longest nose manual ever!?

you look a bit of a gimp doing a nose manual eh?

Rorschach
    Free Member

richen987
    Free Member

Longest nose manual ever!?
    you look a bit of a gimp doing a nose manual eh?

reckon if you did that near a school you would get a restraining order 😮

michaelmcc
    Free Member

It never got changed, they are both different. 😮

sbob
    Free Member

Why do you have to sit down to do a wheelie?

Standing wheelies are cool.

mattsccm
    Free Member

there is no difference except manual is a trendy term to try and invent something different.
    We were rolling along on the back wheels without pedalling 40 years ago and it was a wheelie then.
    Ignore the youth who know sod all.
    ditto endo. If you stay on the bike it isn’t one. an endo is a crash.
    You can’t change history.

eshershore
    Free Member

some confusion here? Wheelies involve pedalling, Manuals don’t.

I’ve been riding BMX and Mountain Bikes since 1981 and the 2 tricks are very different, regardless of the type of bike. its not about whether you are sitting down or not?

you can wheelie on a BMX : on which you can’t sit down on unless you are a midget, because it has a 12″ seat tube, 1″ of seat post extension and a hard plastic seat, this does not stop you pedalling…

you can manual on a BMX: its a back wheel roll with no pedalling or brake involved, you are not applying power to the drivetrain

different tricks!!

-wheelie is combination of pedalling, and rolling using weight shifting to maintain the balance point

-manual ROLL is never pedalling once you enter the manual, but simply rolling using weight shifting to maintain the balance point

there is no pedalling during a manual roll, otherwise its not a manual ROLL but a wheelie. The rolling is the hint really, and the key to a good manual. too much rear brake is cheating when your balance fails, and will often stop a manual because you will loose too much speed.

here is a hop to manual roll:

manuals are one of the most fun tricks on a BMX when you have the skill and experience to take a manual roll around the landscape of an entire skatepark without stalling, needing to pedal or brake

if you really want to know about manual rolls check out Mike Aitken’s section in the older “Etnies. Grounded” bmx film

svalgis
    Free Member

Yeah I’ll just chime in and reply to this in my own choice of words even though the question was already answered in the first reply.

/all of STW

maccruiskeen

The principle difference between a wheelie and a manual is you can’t manual for 22.5miles

For the BMX Action Bike fans

mattsccm
    Free Member

I like the start of On any sunday

mattsccm
    Free Member

And BMX from 81 is way to late to know!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Did, and if so why, 'wheelie' get chaged to 'manual'?’ is closed to new replies.