Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Is it worth trying to get to Harrogate on the 5th July?!
  • LardLover
    Free Member

The wife’s pestering me that we should try and go to Harrogate for the TdF finish on the 5th July. I think it would be a crime to miss it, however I can’t help but think it will be an absolute ball ache getting in then trying to get out again. I’m on call the Friday before so coming down early won’t be an option. It’ll be there and back in a day as I’m also on call on the Sunday. Do you think it’ll be worth the hassle of trying to get there? I think we were planning on getting a train in (if we could!) ! After driving to a station a few stops away. Will this be possible?

Any help, or tips would be greatly appreciated, only if it’s so I tell the wife it won’t be worth the hassle and we’ll be better off watching it at home where can watch more or less the whole stage.

Cheers.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Yep, we’re heading up on friday night & have a hotel booked for two nights. Watching & riding where we can.
    It’s no doubt going to be a nightmare, but we’re going anyway complete with a 2 year old 😀

langylad
    Free Member

Only live down the road in Clitheroe but we would have to catch the train to Bradford then on to Skipton. Thinking if taking the bikes up but will have to book the train in advance for that

trevron73
    Free Member

Harrogate is expecting 300,000 each day , I’m going North and watching on tele ? Only 4 roads into Harrogate and its a ball ache most days, parking is at Yorkshire show ground and then walk or bus ? 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I think if I lived in Clitheroe, I’d set off early in the car in which ever direction I thought I might get closest with reasonable progress and abandon the car when I got stuck in heavy traffic and bike the rest of the way to the nearest vantage point. TBH, I think sat in front of the telly will be the best vantage point, unless you have a very strong desire of being witness to a once in a life time event.
    Unfortunately, I’ve got to get to work in Skipton on Saturday. I’m going by bike on the canal, but I’m expecting to abandon the canal for the road. TBH, I think every family in the Aire valley and their dog will be cycling to Skipton on the canal.

darrenspink
    Free Member

langylad – Member
    Only live down the road in Clitheroe but we would have to catch the train to Bradford then on to Skipton. Thinking if taking the bikes up but will have to book the train in advance for that

Metro have warned people against bringing bikes on trains. You may get refused entry due to the amount of people.

tomhoward

Northern rail have said they will let a maximum of 2 bikes on per train, I was refused trying to leave Harrogate (I live here) last Saturday as the, ridiculously small for the time of day, train was full of people. As were the other 6 riders who had turned up. I’d say trains were a no go if you plan on taking a bike.

Judging by the length and number of road closures, Harrogate is expecting the entire worldwide TV audience, from the whole tour, to arrive en masse, but via self propelled flight, given the transport options that are available to would be spectators.

totalshell

you d have zero chance of getting to harrogate from clitheroe.. some roads are ckosed from midnught the rest from 6.30am..many roads are closed from 6 miles from where the tour actually crosses them realistically if your not within walking distance by 6.30am you will have a loooong walk

trevron73
    Free Member

Local radio says “towns will be closed” when peak volumes are reached? 10am lockdown for Skipton ,Ripon and Harrogate ! wild camp on the moors like the rest of Yorkshire ?
    ?

martinhutch

Definitely no bikes allowed on those trains that weekend.

will
    Free Member

Hmm was planning on watching the start in Leeds then drive over to finish in Harrogate. Optimistic maybe…

unklehomered
    Free Member

Hmm was planning on watching the start in Leeds then drive over to finish in Harrogate. Optimistic maybe…

delusional mate. Sorry but just no chance.

All the main harrogate car parks are reserved for officials/ASO/Press. The town centre will be locked down. There will be a park and ride on Penny Pot,no exact details yet. Huge Fan Park on the Stray.

I think there will better places to watch, only the early birds will get a truly good view in Harrogate. Anyone there Early I recommend outside Proctors Opticians.

will
    Free Member

Worth getting the train over then or maybe driving to a section of the rote further North?

paul4stones

What about cycling into Ripley say, from Skipton way maybe? 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Hotels sold out in Harrogate, still available in Leeds. It’s my guess most visitors are heading to the finish and Harrogate is more of a destination. Doom and gloom predictions always surround these things but my view is with motivation and commitment you can see the event. This will likely involve an early start and not using the car. Based on prior experiences it’s a great idea to have a radio or way to access streaming coverage or see if there are big screens erected anywhere so you can watch the peleton pass and then catch the rest on the tv

devash
    Free Member

I have two options;

1. Walk down to Sheepscar / Scott Hall Road from my house (10 mins walk) and watch the start.

2. Go to Harrogate the day before on the train with my friend who lives in Harrogate, and try to catch some of the action there.

Was going to try and do both in one day but as others have warned me it is going to be next to impossible / at bare minimum a total ball-ache to get near Harrogate on the day. I’m worried that it might be difficult on the Friday as well though?

binners

I drove through Harrogate on Tuesday. Blimey!!! They haven’t half gone to town, and entered fully into the spirit of the thing. It looks great!!! There are signs everywhere about road closures, and any unattended cars being towed. They’re not messing about! I reckon any travel on anything but foot is going to be an absolute nightmare, if not completely impossible.

I think if you’re leaving it until now to organise, you’ve already left it too late, to be honest. That boats already sailed. The trains will be unfeasible chocker! as driving will be impossible with all the road closures. All accommodation is sold out. We’ve had it arranged for months. Heading over with the kids on an early finish Friday, staying with friends on the route (Hi John!) and going back Sunday night. Can’t bloody wait!!!!! 😀

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Depends on your atart point

You say ” down ” so I assume it i from the north.

If so you could drive down to one of the stations on the A 59

Cattal or Hammerton are not that far off the A1 then get a train into harrogate, downside is the service is not that frequent and could be rammed solid.

If you fancy the drive again from the north, east or south use A1 and pick up the A 59 and park at the showground – 15,000 places and about a 2 mile walk into town

From the west is a bit more problematic as you would need to cross the route some where around Skipton but if ealry enough there will be a park n ride off the A 59 on the edfge of town, details not yet released.

The local rumour mill is working a bit of overtime about how the town center will be closed if numbers reach x, y or z but in all honesty I would ( and I am ) ignore them, there may be only 4 or 5 MAIN roads into the town centre but there are loads of rat runs, footpaths and bridleways easily found so it just won’t happen , though it may become a bit of a squeeze in places.

Lots of usefull info on the NYCC website

and the Harrogate council one

tomhoward

Cattal or Hammerton are not that far off the A1 then get a train into harrogate, downside is the service is not that frequent and could be rammed solid.

Extra trains being put on apparently, but it’s northern, so take that with a pinch of salt….

unklehomered
    Free Member

Worth getting the train over then or maybe driving to a section of the rote further North?

Train service will be increased, but packed. Could be worth a shot if you’re lucky. I think very few will manage to see the race in two places on the same day. trying to see everything risks you seeing nothing at all.

For those looking for harrogate info check these pages

http://www.visitharrogate.co.uk/tdfinfo
    also check the route overview linked halfway down & the North Yorkshire CC map.

Big screens everywhere.
    Binners, you think Harrogate have gone all out, check Knaresborough. They have GONE ALL OUT.

It is going to amazing though. Getting very real.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Extra trains being put on apparently, but it’s northern, so take that with a pinch of salt….

timetables linked from pages above.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Is it worth trying to get to Harrogate on the 5th July?!’ is closed to new replies.