Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Is it time for another Critical Mass thread?
  • warton
    Free Member

not at all. look at my first post. I was replying to someone in the thread who mentioned the possibility of hospitals etc.

FWIW. we have one witness account, who got told second hand of what happened at the junction. doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but doesn’t mean it happened exactly like he says it did.

By the way, I’ve been called a cock many times, but never, ever because I condone guys getting knocked off bikes!

Junkyard
    Free Member

seems being the operative word [ since clarified]- still better to discuss that than the CM tactics you support

yossarian
    Free Member

IMO the biggest fools are the ones who think that CM act as some kind of spokesmen for ‘cyclists’. It’s just a group of people who ride around a city every now and again to make a variety of points to other road users. If you don’t like it ask yourself what you are doing to promote your way of thinking to others. Not that you have to of course. I reckon the thing about CM and reactions to it are that ultimately it’s just people on bikes, not ‘cyclists’, and people in cars, not ‘drivers’. People who get pissed off by it are likely to get pissed off because its raining or because the old woman in front of them in the queue in the supermarket is taking ages to pay.

Aligning more towards the anarchist way of doing things is never the right way to go about things IMO.

This made me lol quite a lot.

project
    Free Member

Now here is an idea,100,s of us cyclists all ride in single file down a road,blocking all side junctions, blocking box junctions and the entrance to bus and bike lanes,refuse to let buses out from stops,stop and double park outside schools,ignore traffic signals,dont indicate left turns etc etc.

Welcome to the world of the commuter motorist.

Junkyard
    Free Member

People who get pissed off by it are likely to get pissed off because its raining or because the old woman in front of them in the queue in the supermarket is taking ages to pay.

Plenty have explained why they are annoyed still better to have ago at them than explain how CM tactics help or counter their points 😕

I am spotting a trend here which is to attack/denigrate/insult those who criticise rather than explain how CM helps or explain what it achieves through its actions

I love positive action me 🙄

brakes
    Free Member

did anyone go last night?
    I’m always tempted to go along and observe
    what is the correct bicycle for such an event?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

When did Mike Connor last post, anyway?

Junkyard
    Free Member

IIRC he was “discovered to be
    ” he whose name shall not be mentioned”

cookeaa

See I think you missed junkyards point.

He stated (and I agree) that running down anyone is inexcusable.

That CM antagonizes London drivers to the point where they behave like this is not surprising, its worrying but hardly a shock given the Uk’s increasingly dickish car-centric culture and the unseasonably warm weather, tempers and egos are up generally…

CM causes disruption without having any real purpose, the main side-effect of which is to damage the perception of cycling in the minds of non-cyclists.

I am a cyclist, I don’t support CM nor do I support angry, entitled drivers. Neither seem to benefit society much IMO Why does it have to be so black and white?

yunki
    Free Member

Yunki I have no issue with direct action per se but this is highly counter productive to the groups aims – I have no idea why the groups cannot see this tbh

I imagine cos ‘the group’ is largely a collection of folk fervently trying to find higher meaning in their lives..
    There will be a variety of ways in which they try to do this.. all will be by their very nature, in some way perverse..
    These lot are currently all using bicycles as their focus.. I don’t imagine that any of them are thinking rationally about anything that might inhibit them from fulfilling their compulsive desire to be ‘better than everyone else’

more power to their crazy revolution I say..

andytherocketeer

I could believe that.

That might explain why I “had no right to express an opinion” (presumably for moving from a London postcode to elsewhere) when attempting to make a genuine positive suggestion (both for CM, and for improving of London cycling infrastructure in a separate thread).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cookeaa, very well put.

cbike
    Free Member

Millions of unorganised car drivers make big queues everyday for 4 hours and nobody bats an eyelid. It must cost millions!

50 people that ride bikes cause 10 mins of minor disruption once a month (if they can bothered) It’s not even an issue or even close to anarchy.

Hit and run incidents are assault.
    It’s a valid protest. Let them get on with it. I don’t want to live in a country where it gets banned. Because then people that ride bikes would have to organise even more!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cbike, join a London commute. That’s a REAL critical mass. Not some bunch of strokers looking to antagonize anyone they can, just masses and masses of people riding bikes.

houndlegs
    Free Member

Am I the only one who’s noticed that when you click on the link,in the picture on the left is a very hairy dog with sunglasses on and riding a bike 😆

pingu66
    Free Member

When does a person who owns a bike become a cyclist.

Might be a strange question but when I learnt to ride I was also taught how to use the road. I then learnt to drive a car and had to pass a test etc. Even in the more rural areas around where I live I see people I would consider cylists running reds. Then I see people who have absolutely no clue what so ever about the responsibilities of cycling riding through the local pedestrianised precinct, over pavements etc.

CM all consider themselves cyclists, probably, but how can we define them as its not a group, organisation etc. Its a bunch of people who go and ride badly enforcing negative stereotypes of cyclists. Blocking traffic, riding on pavements etc. That in no way excuses the drivers behaviour however if they were organised they may garner a little more respect as at least the rides could be co-ordinated. Supported by police, trafic conditions considered and notices posted of routes on trafic bulletins.

Generally the people who are crap cyclists are probably crap drivers. The driving test is inadequate in this day and age. I do not see an end to the hostility when cyclists do themseleves no favours in the eyes of the the media and everyone else. I can’t see a time when, in the UK motorists and drivers will coexist happily together when the shit houses can hurl abuse at you and harrass you and speed off in a metal box or give you a punishment pass.

I don’t get much hassle and its easier to turn the other cheek, take it on the chin etc. But what are we meant to do. Bad cyclists should be punished as should bad motorists who is speaking up for cyclists.

imnotverygood

IIRC he was “discovered to be
    ” he whose name shall not be mentioned”

😯 really? I have learned something new.

imnotverygood

It’s a valid protest. Let them get on with it.

I’ll think you’ll find that it isn’t a protest. It is only the smug, sanctimonious attitude that binds them together.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Is it time for another Critical Mass thread?’ is closed to new replies.