Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Is it time for another Critical Mass thread?
  • rudebwoy
    Free Member

there are many on here who think they ‘deserve’ it !!

surely its attempted murder/reckless driving at minimum…

IanW
    Free Member

Calling all STW Clarksons…

brooess
    Free Member

We need a psychological assessment as part of the driving test… to think that’s the best course of action they could take, that driver is not fit to be in charge of a tonne of metal when other people are around…

nealglover
    Free Member

No there aren’t.

crikey
    Free Member

It is somewhat unfortunate that the incident will reinforce the idea of cycling as a hazardous activity, and perhaps delay the development of that elusive ‘critical mass’…

Junkyard
    Free Member

No no one deserves it though I would sum it up as

Antagonistic pricks on bikes encounter antagonistic pricks in cars

Large metal box “wins” confrontation

I would not like to defend either behaviour tbh and both are dangerous- I am sure we will all agree the car is though the view re critical mass may be more controversial on here

Still if you go out knowing you will annoy car drivers we all know what will happen it aint right but I would rather be alive than correct personally

project
    Free Member

This programe was on BBC2 on tuesday now on Iplayer, it features the novel idea,of driving into london in a car, and also features critical mass events and lots of bikes, some nice buses as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037mx3f/The_Route_Masters_Running_Londons_Roads_The_Future/

rudebwoy
    Free Member

nealglover – Member
    No there aren’t.

go look back at the thread from last year neil– sounded like a lot of animosity to me !

plop_pants
    Free Member

Anyone who is so inconsiderate that they delay someone (like me) from getting to a hospital to see a critically ill close relative before its too late does not get my vote.

andyrm
    Free Member

I would not like to defend either behaviour tbh and both are dangerous- I am sure we will all agree the car is though the view re critical mass may be more controversial on here

Still if you go out knowing you will annoy car drivers we all know what will happen it aint right but I would rather be alive than correct personally

^^ This. I always think of critical mass type things as massively divisive – they portray cyclists as some kind of “us and them” holier than thou zealots and further widen the gap between us and other road users.

Aligning more towards the anarchist way of doing things is never the right way to go about things IMO.

Not for a moment agreeing with or justifying the motorist’s actions, but I can see how if I was a stressed out London worker, wanting to get home and held up by a bunch of “protesters” deliberately acting in a way to block the roads and prevent my progress, I might be a bit annoyed….. Some people just take it too far.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Who the **** thinks that? Sorry but if anyone does think that then they’re no better than the car driver that supposedly ran someone over

warton
    Free Member

No, there really aren’t. I am very critical of CMs, they do no good as far as I can see. But nothing excuses the behaviour of those car drivers (if the eye witness reports are correct)

No one deserves to be run over.

binners

Nobody ‘deserves it’. full stop.

but Lets just ask who thinks they’re happy having Critical Mass be the face of cycling. Which it is to a lot of people. Unfortunately. They’re a bunch of juvenile, biblical scale bell ends, and the greatest service they could do to the cause they purport to support is to **** off!

butcher

I’ve no experience of Critical Mass events, but are they really that much of a disruption? I’m guessing that rush hour traffic in London is worse. With a lot of people making non-essential car journeys – journeys that can be made on foot / by bike / on public transport / etc.

Re-claiming the streets just once a month to create a safe and fun environment to cycle in doesn’t seem all that selfish to me when everyone else is doing it for the rest of the month…

thegreatape
    Free Member

Where’s that chap who popped up on the last CM thread, the one who
    organises
    doesn’t organise
    speaks on behalf of CM
    isn’t a CM spokeperson
    by some fluke sounds like he organises CM but actually doesn’t?

project
    Free Member

but I can see how if I was a stressed out London worker, wanting to get home and held up by a bunch of “protesters” deliberately acting in a way to block the roads and prevent my progress, I might be a bit annoyed

For streesed london worker should they really be incharge of a heavy metal vehicle capable of killing cyclists, because they had a bad day at the workpalce, lots of things block onward travel in most cirties, trafic lights, deelivery vans, buses and coaches, accidents roadworks etc, most mentally balance people dont deliberately run down traffic lights or crash into buses because theyre held up.

For stressed driver change to mentally ill, iundiagnosed as yet.

IanW
    Free Member

Anyone who is so inconsiderate that they delay someone (like me) from getting to a hospital to see a critically ill close relative before its too late does not get my vote.

Does this apply to the cars, buses and lorries that delay me everyday?

cookeaa

Junkyard – lazarus

That about just sums it up for me.

I don’t see why not supporting an “agenda free” non-protest, movement that basically sets the cause of cycling in the UK back automatically equates to having sympathy for road-ragey toss bandits?

warton
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I had to rush home yesterday (friday) evening as my 4 month son was having a severe allergic reaction, which meant he was hospitalised.

If a bunch of people, be it on bikes, cars, or foot, deliberately held me up, I wouldn’t like to say what would of happened.

Noahs fine now 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

Doesnt means one not right and the others wrong.

ala everyones fave.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont think anyone disagrees much with the message of critical mass – of course it does not have one as it is not a protest just a group of like minded folk enjoying a pastime- what we question is whether their methods will achieve their goals

Personally i think they will not and worse they are counter productive as many drivers lose respect for cyclists as they annoyed them and held them up- this is what they will think when they think cyclists – this is nothing like you getting stuck in traffic as those folk are not really trying to hold you up, block junctions etc they are just trying to get somewhere in over crowded roads.
    Shared space is about mutual respect not mutual disrespect

Comparing them to the black struggle for rights in apartheid South africa is at goodwin levels of Internet debate.

IanW
    Free Member

For what it’s worth, I had to rush home yesterday (friday) evening as my 4 month son was having a severe allergic reaction, which meant he was hospitalised.

If a bunch of people, be it on bikes, cars, or foot, deliberately held me up, I wouldn’t like to say what would of happened.

Noahs fine now

c*ck.

aP
    Free Member

It was in central London anyone who drives to work there is a huge part of the problem. They pay £12 a day just to drive there and £30+ to park. There’s almost no need for it.
    It’s not like your parochial little town in the provinces, it’s the capital, it has the largest number of cyclists in the uk, who pay for the roads through their taxes and have a right to use the roads unlike all other users who only use them under license.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed I mean he was concerned for his childs welfare and want to be there ….its like he wanted to use the transport network to transport him 😕

have a right to use the roads unlike all other users who only use them under license.

This is the cycling equivalent of screaming i pay road tax -do horses need a licence?

As far as i am aware all road users contribute to road so it would seem reasonable that in a shared use system they can all use them and no user or group should deliberately block them

nealglover
    Free Member

go look back at the thread from last year neil– sounded like a lot of animosity to me !

I don’t need to look back at the thread, I posted a fair bit on it, and I was very critical or Critical Mass.

But it’s a bit of a Drama Queen leap to say that just because people on here disagree with their methods, anyone thinks they deserve to be run over. Let alone “many on here”

I would say none personally. But you may have convicted yourself otherwise.

(Ps: its Neal not Neil 😉 )

IanW
    Free Member

Excusing him from running into and over other peoples sons and daughters?

warton
    Free Member

Enlighten me ianw. Why am I a cock?

theocb
    Free Member

Here we go. Pricks and juvenile bell ends on a forum claiming critical mass participants are pricks and juvenile bell ends. I would call that ironic!

But what about Timmy and Tarquin.. they had the sniffles and a legal procession deliberately held me up. WTF? People manage at all other legal processions so suck it up.

And don’t forget the poor stressed out London workers who are so caught up in their own little world that they have missed the fact that these rides have been going on for around 20 years.

Thankfully Junkyard the world does not give a shit what you think.

Planet STW never ceases to amaze 😀

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Warton, what would have happened if you’d been held up?
    Shouting?
    Punching?
    Hitting with crowbar?
    Running them down with a car?

IanW
    Free Member

Only a cock would suggest theres an excuse for running people over, thats what your saying?

yunki
    Free Member

sometimes I totally see this from junkyard’s point of view.. other times I quite enjoy the petty anarchism and rebelliousness of the critical mass idea..

FWIW if I was rushing to the aid of my kid and encountered wilful resistance.. there would definitely be punching and shouting

love these threads 😀

andytherocketeer

Where’s that chap who popped up on the last CM thread, the one who
    ….
    … by some fluke sounds like he organises CM but actually doesn’t?

Keeping a low profile for being adamant that the Police had no right to arrest or bail people under the section 38 (or whatever it was), and that none would ultimately be charged. Well funnily enough some of them were charged and found guilty in a court of law. And that’s ignoring a few who were arrested under different laws (carrying of illegal weapons), who may well have been non-CMers, but just happened to be there.

The story sounds disgraceful, and I hope none were badly hurt, but some CM have hit the critical mass of being a nuisance and antagonising to make a political statement, and participation in them has to be on the grounds that anyone taking part understands that they may be involved in an incident with either other road users or police (that they wouldn’t be involved in if they rode the route at any other time).

Just as a comparison, just 1 day ago there was another CM post posted here that sounds exactly like a CM should be. Just nice friendly ride for the sake of having a nice friendly ride.

warton
    Free Member

useless hippy.

I don’t know. for a bit of background (and you never know, the guy in the BMW may of been experiencing similar.)

I got a call saying my 4 month old son couldn’t breath, literally, couldn’t breathe. At that point, theres a possibility he could die.

I had to get home to help out the best i could, calm my hysterical wife, make sure my 3 year old was OK, and get back in time so he didn’t have to go in the ambulance with my wife and 4 month old.

Soooo, if a bunch of guys, on bikes (or on cars, on foot, whatever) deliberately hold me up, as much as i love bikes, and absolutely want a better solution for bike travel, I’m not going to shrug my shoulders and say, oh well, better wait for these guys to make their point.

Would I have deliberately run them over? No, absolutely not.

Would I have been a bit aggressive in my attempts to pass them? I don’t know TBH, The way I was feeling yesterday, probably.

If that makes me a cock, so be it.

Obviously a very extreme scenario, but those scenarios are out there.

On a normal day, I’d wind down my window, listen to some music and chill out.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well for a start, calling your son Noah, and thus bringing on this current deluge of rain.

warton
    Free Member

Well for a start, calling your son Noah, and thus bringing on this current deluge of rain.

😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

Thankfully Junkyard the world does not give a shit what you think.

How many folk need to get caught up in my “procession” for them to GAS?

You pretty much some up the **** you and you rights attitude of critical mass which is a rather misguided response and protest to the **** you attitude of some other road users to cyclist. the problem is a lack of mutual respect and not sharing the road space. How exactly does shwiing no respect and not sharing the road space help?

That how ill conceived these events are – they are the exact embodiment of what they object to incondsiderate road users

Yunki I have no issue with direct action per se but this is highly counter productive to the groups aims – I have no idea why the groups cannot see this tbh

As you note I assume most parents rushing to a seriously ill child would react unhappily to being deliberately delayed from getting there whihc wa show I took the statement rather than an actual threat of “direct action” to a perceived wrong

Really CM unfortunately you dont help cycling one bit

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junky and binners have basically nailed it.

I don’t want anyone to think that CM represents cycling.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky and binners have basically nailed it.

Well if any statement was worth a copy and paste 😀

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Warton,
    But from your original post, can you not see how people might think your a cock?
    Someone, a fellow cyclist was deliberatly run down with a car, and you say ” deliberately held me up, i wouldn’t like too say what would of happened.”
    Someone used a car as a weapon, and you seem to be trying too justify it…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Is it time for another Critical Mass thread?’ is closed to new replies.