Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Is it rude to offer advice?
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

If you were on a trail and someone in front of you was an obvious newbie and making some fairly fundamental errors is it rude to offer a bit of advice unrequested as you ride past? Heels down, head up kind of stuff??

safi

Not rude but may not go down too well however well intentioned, depends on the individuals concerned.

TooTall
    Free Member

Better than shouting ‘elete rider coming through’ and barging them off the trails!

s
    Free Member

People are always offering me advice on the trail, I have no problem taking it tbh.

Had some quality advice in the past from kids who were younger than my kids!

That’s the beauty on the trail no matter what your age, skill level, we are all out there have it large 😉

HTTP404
    Free Member

For glaring mechanical errors it’s ok.
    But definitely not coaching tips.

clubber
    Free Member

With less experienced mates I do though I try and phrase it in a way that won’t sound like criticism

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ll always give plenty of helpful advice of this sort. To girls.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But definitely not coaching tips.

Why ever not?
    Do it in the right manner and try to be helpful by suggesting something of use rather than “You won’t do a 10ft drop off like that!” and I’ve found it always goes down well. I happen to know new riders can find it encouraging. 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I try to offer advice by making myself look humble For example at afan and there were a load of lads on hire bikes all with the saddles too low and climbing with properly bent knees it looked painful so as I was passing them I said:
    “Wow you lot are seriously fit climbing with your saddles so low, you are making me feel inadequate”
    They all stopped and put their saddles up.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i always give advice in as patronising a manner as poosible – ussually tell them they dont need such good bike and that footpaths are better and then let them know I am sfb and they have just met the boggies/
    they often chase me when I picture their bums.

Suppose I would if they were making obvious errors

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve offered some advice in passing and I’ve never had an issue. It’s all in the way you say it. Had some good conversations with people sometimes, give them encouragement in an equal dose and you can’t go wrong.

oldgit
    Free Member

Hard one. I went out with a newly formed road club and the ‘leader’ was getting everyone to push big gears. The group were strung out over about 200M. The leader whilst fit as #### was only five months into cycling. I bit my tongue that day, but said something the following week. That said no ones turned out since the weather turned.

SSB_UK
    Free Member

I think unless you’re going to ride with them for a stretch, I’d keep your mouth shut other than a “hello”. You’re at risk of looking a bit of a tosser otherwise (IMHO). 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Think I pissed someone off yesterday, she moved aside to let me through but I had trailed her for a couple of hundered yards and in passing I thnaked her and then said it it would probably really help her if she kept her head up and her heels down ( I saw her almost have an over the bars on a rooty bit). She seemed miffed.

Oh well. I’ll keep my mouth shut in future.

xiphon
    Free Member

The problem with offering advice, is you assume they need it.

They may have their own ‘method’ of doing something, which works for them.

I’d personally be offended if someone offered me advice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If someone who couldnt do manuals offered me advice, I’d tell him where to go.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I swear the next rider behind me at a race who says to me ‘don’t stop, don’t stop that’s it well done’ will get a smack in the mouth and thrown into a hedge.

I don’t require coaching thanks all the same.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Fair comment however the manuals are coming along well now, certainly no issues doing fairly big drops anymore… 😳

There are a lot of grumpy people out there.

cinnamon_girl

No, don’t offer. People don’t want to be patronised, however kindly the intentions.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Fair comment however the manuals are coming along well now, certainly no issues doing fairly big drops anymore…

I was only joking!

xiphon
    Free Member

What annoys me more than ‘trail advice’ is people offering advice on how to set your bike up!

If they say “I think my shock is rebounding a bit too quick, what do you think?” then that’s an invitation to offer friendly advice.

If you just say to them “You’re brake levers are pointing too high/low, they need to be altered” that will wind them up!

joolsburger
    Free Member

It’s a knotty one I do like to help out when I can, fixed someones chain the other day as they patently didn’t know how and always up for showing people around and stuff. Was also riding with a newbie mate of mine so was in coaching mode yesterday!

DF it’s a sore point with me, the manuals, can do pretty decent step downs, jumps and hare along like a mad thing but when it comes to keeping that front wheel up without pedalling just can’t get it sorted for more than a few yards certainly enough for the trails but just want to get it and hold it.

You right though none of my business will not bother again.

clubber
    Free Member

makes note to say “don’t stop, don’t stop that’s it well done” next time I’m riding behind KT…

kaesae
    Free Member

I give advice, all the time to people, however since I have an open and genuine personality they tend to take it as helpful.

There are just too many idiots taking the piss and having a go at people, trying to be right. I just try to be helpful and make things a bit easier for other people.

Still it would be a crappy place this planet of ours, without the crazy people, who still try and talk to strangers 😀

I swear the next rider behind me at a race who says to me ‘don’t stop, don’t stop that’s it well done’ will get a smack in the mouth and thrown into a hedge.

Sorry about that. I just assumed that anyone who enters a race on a single speed needs all the advice they can get.

plumber
    Free Member

I advised a guy that his forks were the wrong way round (fox on a marin) he didn’t like it.

and they were the wrong way round.

Plum

7hz
    Free Member

If they are paying you to give advice, give as much as you like in whatever manner you think appropriate.

If you are interacting with the person in some way, or if they ask advice, then it is ok to give gentle advice.

Doling out tips when passing / following random cyclists you don’t know is just big headed and intrusive.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No, don’t offer. People don’t want to be patronised, however kindly the intentions.

No, some people just don’t want to learn. It’s only patronising if you stick your head in the sand and think “No. I’m fine. I don’t need to get better.” and end up in a huff.

I seem to remember you took my advice about the flat pedals CG…… 🙂

The biggest fault I see, especially in new or timid riders is that they sit down far too much.

oldgit
    Free Member

Thrown into the hedge….BUSH PUSH!

cinnamon_girl

Gonna disagree with you there Pete! People need to work out if they are not satisfied with their riding and then act accordingly, ie skills session or asking others.

It’s extremely difficult to offer advice without sounding patronising … and it can come across as that particularly when you’re female and/or haven’t been riding for years.

Everyone has to start somewhere and I think we can all do well to remember that. 🙂

Edit: may I also say that the one single thing I bitterly regret is not having a skills session when I first started. This, coupled with regular sessions, would have been hugely beneficial.

As regards flats, you were beaten to it by Juan! But yes, the fact that people were suggesting it, I did listen!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I can see both sides to this or I wouldn’t have asked. I’m not constantly doing it but I saw someone almost come a cropper because they were too far forward and had their heels up and head down, to me this is a really basic and easily fixable thing. I don’t think I laboured the point but surely a little well intentioned advice cn’t hurt can it? Certainly it won’t hurt as much as taking a header because the bike stops and you don’t.

GEDA
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why I ride where/when no one else is. Gave me a bit of a shock to ride in the Peaks during the weekend. People everywhere telling me how to ride my bike. Mainly as I was being an arse and getting bored with them riding so slowly so trying to pass them at inappropriate places. They were giving me some really interesting advise. I did get my comeuppance through when I whizzed past them and promptly got a pinch puncture going down the Blackley Hey.

soobalias
    Free Member

jools, think it might have been better if you had stopped further along and had a quick chat, starting, “whoa i thought you were going to go over the bars on that section”, if they respond to your invite to conversation….. “i find that when i remember to keep my head up on those bits it helps”

coaching tips to total strangers as you pass them = ****

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s extremely difficult to offer advice without sounding patronising … and it can come across as that particularly when you’re female and/or haven’t been riding for years.

So basically, you’ll pay for advice, but not take it for free, yes? 😉

I’m now gonna blow my own trumpet now:
    I’m good with beginners. I’ll gently coach them through stuff they never thought they could ride, I’ve done it many times. Stuff that seems very simple to everyone else can faze people. And others just expect them to ‘get on with it’ it seems. And I genuinely get a buzz out of helping someone out (That includes more than just riding – Mechanics etc too) and seeing them get it right. Just a grin is enough. I’ve taught people how to ride motorbikes, I’ve tought 5 year olds to ride. I’ve taught people how to fix bikes (Lots of that actually) I’ve taught people to bunnyhop and more….. Just little stuff
    I’m no great shakes at anything myself, but I’m good at passing on what I do know, but yes, sometimes you meet a brick wall and have to give up…..

As regards flats, you were beaten to it by Juan! But yes, the fact that people were suggesting it, I did listen!

Oh come ON! 😉 My next step was to come round in the dead of night and swap all your pedals over, I’d been nagging you so much. 😀 I used to worry about you riding clipless and not clipped in, honest! 🙂

My next task is to get you to leave some of the 18 tonnes of crap you carry on every ride at home! 😉 (Serious though!)

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I only offer advice, on any subject, if I feel it will be heeded. And then always in an encouraging way.

Slight caveat: I warn people I’m leading around if I think there might be something ahead that they should think about, rather than blithely attempting to ride over. It’s a safety thing.

hora
    Free Member

If I was out on a trail and Steve Peat offered me advice I’d listen and say thank you.

If a random stranger offered me advice I’d ask him at what point did he hear me asking the question.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think the vote here is to shut up and let people make their own mistakes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I’ve offered advice before and tend to say something like.

Me the trail master
    “How did / are you getting on with X trial / section of the trail?”

Noob I.T. manager
    “Yeah fine”

Me the trail master
    “I found that X bit difficult personally but found that if I do Y it helps”

Noob I.T. manager
    “Yeah I know, I’ve been trying that”

Me the trail master
    “Sick bro, see you in the car park.”

I then do a launch to tyre tap on a tree as a method of overtaking so that my authority is firmly stamped over the situation and disappear over the horizon.

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

I know I’m a sh1t rider, so I would tell you where you put your advice 🙂

TheBrick
    Free Member

You’re a shit rider who dose not want to progress to become rad^sick? You wish to stay shit, such that you riding is mince^bumbble?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Is it rude to offer advice?’ is closed to new replies.