Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Is it rude to offer advice?
  • HTTP404
    Free Member

And if the advice comes from an overbiked and overweight biffer even worse. I’ll take advice when needed. 99% of the time, it’s not needed. 🙂

WhatafackinLiberty
    Free Member

The Brick:

Hell ya 🙂

restless
    Free Member

i am not a very experienced or good or fast rider (yet 😉 ) so it would just really embarass me if somebody rode past and offered advice as they went. even if it was with good intentions, i would probably just be put off riding there again 😐
    jane

hora
    Free Member

i would probably just be put off riding there again

Agree. It can be misconstrued. Part of the ‘fun’ of mountain biking is the lack of elite/bollocks that can go with road cycling.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Well I feel really bad now, thanks!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i always give advice in as patronising a manner as poosible – ussually tell them they dont need such good bike and that footpaths are better and then let them know I am sfb and they have just met the boggies

I always say we’re the Groovy Tribe 🙂

Also I always tell people we meet on the trail that they’re going the wrong way!

portlyone

My first reaction would be embarassment. If I was still on a particualr section I’d ignore them til I’d stopped and then think on what they’d said and see if it rings true to me.

I have a tendancy to pick up bad habits while thinking I’m the model of style and technique. I’m also big enough to get over the initial embarassment and try to use the situation positively.

cookeaa

I don’t think I’ve ever really offered “advice” as such, I maybe mention a tricky bit of the trail and frame it as a discussion on “the best way” to do that Corner/root/drop section so they don’t feel like I’m taking the piss and let them pose their own ideas…

As a way of proving your “skillz” actions speak louder than words I find, be friendly and helpful and then nail the trail, don’t be superior or aloof…
    This is all assuming you’re “On it” not that I always am…

As for taking advice I’ve had one bad experience with an “out of action riding God” who felt the need to tell a Hung over me where I was braking wrong during practice runs (He was absolutely correct in his assessment, but was not particularly diplomatic), otherwise I’ll take most advice on board, it’s often easy to see where someone else is going wrong when watching only a fool wouldn’t listen…

allthepies
    Free Member

I always say we’re the Groovy Tribe
    Also I always tell people we meet on the trail that they’re going the wrong way!

GavinB

I would never offer advice or comment to a complete stranger on the trail.

If I was riding with someone, and they mentioned that they were struggling with something, then I would always be keen to give them a few things to think about as they were riding.

I guess egos can be a little sensitive, and offering advice to someone without them wanting it (or in their mind, needing it) is probably wrong. If they initiate the conversation, that’s different.

LeeW

I have offered advice a couple of times when I’ve seen something dangerous or just obviously wrong – forks on backwards was one – plainly obvious to anyone that had the gift of sight. But, it’s generally been met with a grunt. Some people just think they know better…

To be honest I’ve only been offered advice about riding a couple of times, once off SSStu, which was the best advice I could’ve had at the time, improved my technique no end. I’ll always listen and say thanks, then if I think it’s **** call them names behind their backs. 😀

scaredypants

“Sick bro, see you in the car park.”

superschweeet, no tyre taps needed when you can bro’ like a pro

geetee1972
    Free Member

PMSL!

I would have wagered my kidneys that 90% of people on here would have reacted not just negatively but darn right badly to the idea that someone might offer them advice! Why am I not surprised?

I’ve done it quite a lot lately, but it’s usually when I’ve hooked up with some one randomly and shared some trails with them, built some rapport and it’s become obvious that there’s a big gap between our abilities. I’d then ask if they wanted some pointers; I wouldn’t offer them without permission.

There’s a couple of guys out on Surrey Hills I’d positively love to some tips/coaching from because I’d donate my kidneys to charity to be able to ride as fast as they can.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

There are few MTBers where the expertise gradient is such that I could offer advice…

When I am skiing with someone however I will sometimes ask if they mind if I say something about what they are doing – or would they rather I kept schtum? This allows them to be in control of the situation.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I take my hat off to anyone who successfully gives advice to women – I salute you 😀

jedi

i offer advice all the time 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

P_B – don’t know about unbidden, but generally speaking women are far more open to the kind of advice being discussed here than men. How or why you get to the point of offering advice at all is a different matter.

As for OP, unless they were already participating in my group ride it would need to be a matter of imminent serious injury to be a good reason to speak up!

scaredypants

ask if they mind if I say something about what they are doing – or would they rather I kept schtum? This allows them to be in control of the situation.

[panto]Oh no it doesn’t[/panto], it’s just made them aware that you feel they’re doing it wrong

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Yes – but they can at least avoid my pearls of wisdom 8)

Another thing, never offer advice to anyone in front of someone else unless they ask for it or are dangerous.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Is it rude to offer advice?’ is closed to new replies.