Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Is it possible to use 1.125 forks in a taper headset?
  • jb79
    Free Member

As above. I’ve got some old 1 1/8 forks that I’d like to use on a newer bike with a taper headset. I know you can get headsets that’ll let you do this (but I want to be able to swap between the 2 sets of forks so don’t want to go down this route). The only option at the moment is to change the fork steerer but that’d be expensive… any way round it? Any converter widgets that fit to the fork itself??

Thanks

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont on one do a Crown race that makes the effective size of 1 1/8 ?

You therefore are using a non reducer headset so you can still use tapered forks

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HSFRREDDSET/frm_reducer_crown_race_for_d_set_headset_15_inch__to_11_8_inch

this but I no idea why they call it a reducer as if you can reduce from 1.5 to 1 ,125!!!

vinnyeh

I’ve got a Cane Creek (XXII- I think it might have been renamed S3) taper headset fitted to a bike that uses a reducer crown race from the same company with 1 1/8 forks. It’s a big piece of metal though, had to get a shop to fit it to the forks.
    I’m not sure whether the crown race is compatible with other taper headsets.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Chris king taper head set has two crowns available 1 1/5″ and 1 1/8″ I had both for my Orange 5 and swopped between forks taper and 1 1/8″ no problem.

jb79
    Free Member

Thanks – that’s great!

I’ve got a cane creek headset, so does that mean I can get one of these and leave it on the 1 1/8 forks? Or could I get one of the on one reducers junkyard has linked to above and then swap the crown race between the forks whenever I change them?

infidel
    Free Member

hope make a reducer crown race to use a 1 1/8 fork in a 1.5 lower headset cup. Part HS136 – linky

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am confused what are the two sets of fork steerer sizes?
    I assumed you have one taper set and one 1.125

I am offering a solution for that
    If the two forks are the same size what is the actual issue here do whatever get two crown races one for each fork

I use a hope reducer set on an On one as i have a hope on my other bike and therefore I can swap forks between bikes as both use the same crown race

jb79
    Free Member

I am confused what are the two sets of fork steerer sizes?
    I assumed you have one taper set and one 1.125

Yes that’s right, sorry I’m being confusing!

I’m getting confused as to what the on one reducer does compared to the cane creek thing I linked to and whether I can use the on one reducer with a cane creek headset. Does the on one thing just make the 1 1/8 steerer = 1.5 so that you can fit a taper headset crown race to it? Is the cane creek thing I linked to a replacement crown race that fits 1 1/8 forks into a taper headset or does it do exactly what the on one does?

vinnyeh

I’ve got a cane creek headset, so does that mean I can get one of these and leave it on the 1 1/8 forks?

That’s what I use, but as I said, it’s designed to fit the XXII headset. I’m never sure how interchangeable crown races are between different headsets from the same manufacturer, let alone between manufacturers, so probably best to check with Extra.

If you want to use taper forks, I think Superstar do a pattern 1.5 crown race that’s compatible with Cane Creek

EDIT:

Does the cane creek thing I linked to a replacement crown race that fits 1 1/8 forks into a taper headset?

This is correct.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I do no think that crown races as interchangeable but they may be with minimal input but I would avoid at all costs

If it was me I would buy a standard headset then get a reducer [ ie increaser] crown race for a 1.125
    the make is your choice

the one you linked to is the same but for a different headset ie Crane creek

So pick a headset and you will get it with the 1.5 crown race and buy a reducer to 1.125

jb79
    Free Member

Thanks very much all.

I was confused as to whether the things linked to were replacement crown races (for 1 1/8 forks in a tapered headset) or adaptors to fit a tapered crown race to a 1 1/8 fork.

I’ve already got a cane creek headset so makes sense to go for that one and hope my headset is compatible with it.

Cheers.

chakaping
    Free Member

You could get the Hope bit linked above and a spare crown race to fit your headset.

I presume the second fork you wish to swap is a taper steerer.

jb79
    Free Member

You could get the Hope bit linked above and a spare crown race to fit your headset.

That’s a thought, probably have highest chance compatibility that way.

I presume the second fork you wish to swap is a taper steerer.

Correct.

Superficial
    Free Member

I have a Hope taper headset, 1.1/8th forks and one of those Hope crown races. Works as expected.

If you’ve got a Cane Creek headset, I don’t understand why you wouldn’t get the Cane Creek crown reducer thingy though, just to minimise potential problems. I’m sure the Hope would work, but without checking the bearing size/angles are compatible you can’t be sure.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to use 1.125 forks in a taper headset?’ is closed to new replies.