Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • What Rice Cooker?
  • chvck
    Free Member

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d quite like a rice cooker however I know very little about them. Can anyone recommend one for 20-30 quid? Can stretch toward 40 if it’s really worth it. I had a look on Reddit and they all seem to recommend ones that are over 100 quid on there, that’s rather out of the question!

I want something that’ll cook rice and steam stuff, porridge cooking would be a bonus!

Thanks in advance!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A saucepan.

Stoner
    Free Member

^ the Delia technique has never failed me.

vorlich
    Free Member

Our Tefal one is a few years old and still going strong.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Micro, water about an inch over the rice, 8 mins, stir, 8 mins. Stir, leave to breathe

Having said that, i’ve used a National one for the last 25 years

This one

Amos
    Free Member

My mother in law is Malaysian therefore eats an inordinate amount of rice and uses a tefal rice cooker, never heard if them before meeting the mrs bloody brilliant things IMO !

Kuco

1 cup of rice 2 cups of water bring to boil then simmer till all the water is absorbed.

chewkw
    Free Member

With a rice cooker you just go about preparing your food without having to spend 20 mins of your life stirring the saucepan etc …

Most Japanese brands rice cooker should be fine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never mind all this water absorbing p1sh.

A cupfull of basmati rice for 4 people.

Fill the kettle. put boiled water in pan, add salt and bring to boil. Add cup full of basmati, and boil for 10 minutes.

strain and serve.

it’s only rice ffs.

Kuco

Never mind all this water absorbing p1sh.

Well, sorry I don’t like soggy rice.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

What Rice Cooker?

The bloke at the local Chinese is pretty good.

z1ppy

We used up some vouchers buying a tefal rice cooker, yesterday. Used it for porridge, a sponge cake & went to make a rissotto for dinner & it’s died 😳
    Bugger… Will be getting it replaced though, as it means we can dump our very tired steamer (plastic gone brittle) & our slow cooker

donsimon
    Free Member

Well, sorry I don’t like soggy rice.

Don’t over cook it then. 😛

Stoner
    Free Member

stirring the saucepan etc

UR DOIN IT RONG!

1pt Rice to 2pts water by volume.
    Bring to boil, place tight lid on pan, turn hob down to lowest setting.
    LEAVE IT!
    DONT LIFT LID!
    20 mins later, bosh*, there you go. Fluff with a fork and serve.

*fattonguedmockneyism mandatory.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rice won’t be soggy, unless your a spaz.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Lakeland microwave rice steamer. 2oz per person, cover with boiling water, nuke for 10 mins (assuming white rice), check halfway through if it needs more water.

Drain and serve – always perfect.

chewkw
    Free Member

Oh ya … don’t buy those that come with non-stick bowl as they are lethal.

nonk
    Free Member

do what stoner said.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Stoner is bang on.

For spot on basmati toast the dry rice in the pan with a little oil for a few minutes first then add the water.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

A cupfull of basmati rice for 4 people.

Never take rice ooking advice from someone who feeds people withnone cup of rice!
    You gotta talk to a proper fan tong!

chewkw
    Free Member

CharlieMungus – Member

Never take rice ooking advice from someone who feeds people withnone cup of rice!
    You gotta talk to a proper fan tong!

LOL!

Could be a pint cup, no?

wallop

Rice won’t be soggy, unless your a spaz.

Oh, the irony.

Stoner
    Free Member

not tried to do that myself joolsburger, will do next time!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

care to elaorate, Walloper?.

Stoner
    Free Member

care to elaorate, Walloper

yur, ur, you’re, your, yoor, yaur etc etc

wallop

😆 sorry, I was just being a div about your grammar – no offence intended.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought this was an internet forum, excuse my grammar and punctuation 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

You either cook rice using a pan/pot etc or you use rice cooker.

Using pan/pot will take 20 mins of your life away and there is a chance that you might simply burn your rice if you have forgotten about it. This method is only for occasional rice cooking only. e.g. camping or you have the tendency to hang around your kitchen for more than an hour while cooking or preparing etc. I only used this method when my rice cooker was broken.

Rice cooker on the other hand will free you off that so to concentrate on something more important like watching tv or have a quickie … 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You either cook rice using a pan/pot etc or you use rice cooker.

Or the micro!

yetialex
    Free Member

My wife is Thai, her and all her mates have rice cookers from various manufacturers and of differing prices, and they’re all used at least once a day. Ours is an Asda own brand cheapie, Silvercrest or something, you can’t really go wrong with any of them IMHO. Perfect results every time, rice cooks then they automatically switch to “keep warm” mode without you having to worry about anything.

llama

Stoner has it

But 1.5 water to 1 rice is enough. Wash very well first. When there is about 1mm of water left let it stand with the lid on for a couple of mins.

I know lots of people who swear by them, some are even Chinese, but really, whats the point? The rice is no better, and if you can’t remember to turn off rice at the right time you might as well stick to bloody pot noodle. Its just yet more crap to buy. Spend the money or a really good saucepan instead then you can at least use it for something else apart from sterilizing baby bottles.

Arrrrg sorry Charlie Brooker is on and its just too negative.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

From the above I’ve got a list of all those I’d choose never to round to for a rice based meal.

A rice cooker (or a decent steamer) has a one great advantage – one the rice is cooked – it never overcooks.

So you time the rice to be cooked early (it sits hot and happy for ages) as you continue cooking the curry or whatever.

IME almost everyone in asia uses one (or a steamer) – using saucepans is for gypsies.

I cant recommend one particular model though. All the popular ones have unpronouncable names. A veg steamer does a proper good job though.

tails
    Free Member

I think this is supposed to be the best http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-ZCC10-Cooker-Warmer-Premium/dp/B00007J5U7 although my Korean friends have a Sanyo brand cooker.

Stoner
    Free Member

it never overcooks.

And if you’re in the habit of overcooking your food because you dont have a handle on timing in your kitchen I might not come round your house for dinner either 😉

chewkw
    Free Member

I like to keep thing simple so prefer to use a rice cooker that has on/off switch only. 🙂

prettygreenparrot

I like the look of the rice cooker tails suggests. Except for the bit in the first review where it says “…its [sic] really easy to use once you understand the setup”. Sounds more complicated than a saucepan and a timer. Friends who’ve changed over to rice cookers swear by them. Me? I prefer pasta. The reviewer of the rice cooker on amazon mentions brown rice. Ugh, I really don’t like brown rice.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

We have a Breville something or other. Love it.
    Perfect rice every time!

Cost about £40 at the most I think.

Stoner
    Free Member

“he who dies with the most tat, wins!”

yunki
    Free Member

generic saucepan.. 1 rice to 2 water.. cover and cook for 20 minutes..

hey presto

hopster
    Free Member

Rice cooker all the way. Its easier and gives you perfect results everytime. Got a cheap one from Ikea for a Xmas present years ago and its still going strong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘What Rice Cooker?’ is closed to new replies.