• This topic has 66 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Is it possible to tell Korean and Chinese people apart..
  • barca
    Free Member

..just by looking? I mean, do they have distinct facial differences? I say they don't but my colleague says they do. The rest of the people we've asked either laugh or "don't want to get involved"…?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never crossed my mind.

ski
    Free Member

"Chinese" actually includes a lot of different races and languages

iDave
    Free Member

china is a **** vast country and there is no such thing as a chinese 'look'

most likely koreans will be dressed a bit differently!

have you had lessons in being a bit 'special' or is it a natural gift?

AndyP
    Free Member

not by 'look', but all chinese people wear those hats what look like a lampshade. FACT.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Spend the evening looking at asian internet pron and tell the missus that you are researching the asian population to settle an office argument

binners

If they're selling you a DVD they're definitely Chinese

chela
    Free Member

*wades in and tries to be serious*

They have different eyes. My mate's boyfriend in Korean and he has explained the differences. One has slanty eyes; the other has eyes that are slanty in a different way. That's what I gleaned anyway. It's quite a subtle thing, and not something I can explain without pulling at my eyelids and gurning at you to demonstrate.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

I can tell the difference but I'm probably nowhere near 100% accurate. I just go by the general look and behaviour and have never tried to analyse it.

One sure thing if they are clearing the phlem out of their chest or nose in public they're Korean.

iDave
    Free Member

if they're being executed in public for going to church they're chinese

mt
    Free Member

Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman. Is it possible to tell them apart?

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Bad taste thread of the week? Based on the responses of course.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I've forewarded the question to Duke of Edinburgh. He'll know.

tails
    Free Member

really as mt says, from my little knowledge having friends from that area. Koreans will generally be wealthier so have nicer clothes and are more concerned with fashion. With my korean mates they have whiter skin than my chinese mates, but that'll be area dependent. You'll never meet a north korean, they'll say there from SK. Oh they have different types of chopsticks, but thats useless if you see them in town. 😆

Can you tell difference between a US american and a canadian?

donald
    Free Member

Wikipedia says that Koreans are an official minority ethnic group in China so I'd guess that Koreans and Han Chinese would be able to tell each other apart.

I don't know whether an outsider could tell the difference or not and that probably invites "they all look the same" comments anyway

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Koreans are predominately from one particular race whereas china is made up of a huge variety of different races varying from almost purely Mongol to Han (the majority)

Stoner
    Free Member

Can you tell difference between a US american and a canadian?

Of course. Ive seen South Park.

thejesmonddingo

Seeing as North Korea borders on China,where do you draw the line?.It may be possible to differentiate between Koreans and Chinese who belong to an ethnic group based 500 miles away,but from someone who lives 20 miles away?,almost certainly same ethnic group,alomost impossible to tell.China is a very big place.
    Ian

donald
    Free Member

Borders drawn here

mcboo
    Free Member

Koreans are cool. Are the worlds biggest party animals. NOTHING gets done in business that doesnt involve a bottle of Johnnie Walker Blue Label and a karaoke bar.

Ask a Korean if they are Japanese and visa versa…..they love that.

alpin
    Free Member

i travelled australia where you come into contact with lots of Koreans and Japanese. you can tell the difference after a while. Koreans looking more Chinese than Japanese.

i've a chinese housemate. we'd often spend a good few hours looking at asian girls guessing their origin…. research purposes only, obviously.

safe for work asian girl pics

theotherjonv

I've never really thought about it, but I do have issues looking up an Asian colleague's phone number on the company intranet – they must have been transcribed incorrectly because every time I wing I get the Wong number.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

theotherjonv, you sirry irriot.

😉

hora
    Free Member

Dunno but when the relatives are around our dog always leaves the room

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

One has slanty eyes; the other has eyes that are slanty in a different way.

You're not the Chookie Embra (*) are you?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

i travelled australia where you come into contact with lots of Koreans and Japanese. you can tell the difference after a while. Koreans looking more Chinese than Japanese.

Misread the question yes I can tell Koreans and Japanese apart but not Koreans and Chinese (they both cough up their phlem in public).

enfht
    Free Member

mt – Member
    Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman. Is it possible to tell them apart?

generally yes it is.

Hilarious that no Koreans have leapt on to accuse Barca of racism..maybe that's RB and TJ's job.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

some of the chinese i've met are about the most racist people i've ever come across 🙂

having said that i took great pleasure in the fact that they laugh at our 'wide eyes'

enfht
    Free Member

It's always amazed me that Japanese animation uses characters with "wide eyes"

Just an observation but I flew JAL once and the hostesses served the native japanese customers before the westerners regardless of what menu everyone had chosen (japanese or western dishes). Can't say I found this racist though, just slightly weird

montylikesbeer

Hmmm an interesting thread.

To describe a Chinese look is impossible, it has no more relevance than a Leeds look.

Does the majority of Asia look different to us, yes of course, under that is a complex set of differences that are as subtle as a Dutch man to a German.

enfht
    Free Member

To describe a Chinese look is impossible, it has no more relevance than a Leeds look.

I'm sure there are a few million people who would disagree with you

montylikesbeer

my point is that China and the rest of Asia cannot be described as a "look", its very diverse.

barca
    Free Member

Flip a pancake, we had a prolonged spell of work since I asked. Thanks for the responses.
    iDave, don't you have some Internet Olympians to coach or something? You should try drinking mild, that bitter isn't doing you any favours.

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I would say yes, but not sure what the differences are..
    Chinese people from the South look very different to Chinese people from the North – Koreans look kind of 'inbetween' to me. also, if you see an 'oriental' and their hair is dyed orange, they're probably korean

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Hilarious that no Koreans have leapt on to accuse Barca of racism..maybe that's RB and TJ's job.

Perhaps because the OP is not being racist? daft perhaps but not racist. where is the negative sterotyping?

barca
    Free Member

Daft? My mate asked me a question, I answered it, he disagreed, we discussed it, we asked others, i asked on here, he asked on a website he uses, we noted some comments, we laughed at others, we laughed a lot at a few others.
    Do you really have to be so uptight and judgmental about everything? Why don't you try, every now and again getting down from your ultra high moral horse and just taking the odd at face value instead of evaluating everything to see if there is any way you can be offended or morally affronted? I bet you'd find it quite liberating. It seems like you deliberately go out of your way to take offence. How very unnecessary.
    When we lived in Auckland (a city with a very large population of Oriental people), our neighbours on both sides were of Chinese descent. They called us 'marble eyes'. It was a laugh. We laughed, they laughed. Nobody took offence. I wonder if you'd be offended?
    Loosen off your braces TJ, I suspect you've given yourself a wedgie again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Barca. I was responding to enfit who wondered why I had not cried "racist". IMO your post was not racist hence why I did not call it as such.

daft perhaps but not racist

In no way was I casting moral judgement or anything like. You have leaped down my throat without looking at what I wrote. I was not offended or morally affronted nor did I say I was – infact the opposite. I was defending you.

duntmatter
    Free Member

belm 😆

hopster
    Free Member

Chinese people and in fact most Asians can recognise people from other countries. I have Hong Kong Chinese features which were spotted by a Chinese lady who has a son at the same school as mine. Koreans etc also have features and skin tones that are slightly different. Differences are subtle and I don't think many westerners would spot them.

Moses

Tis easy to tell the difference, just by looking.

At their passports, that is. 😯

Otherwise, IME, not

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Is it possible to tell Korean and Chinese people apart..’ is closed to new replies.