Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Is it partonising & condescending…
  • Strangelove
    Free Member

to call a 40 year old young man?

At work the man who thinks he is some sort of team lead started a meeting by calling me young man. I pointed out I'm not exactly young and he just laughed it off but it really annoyed me.
    After the end of the meeting where I formulated the new procedures we are meant to be following which is what he should be doing, he slapped me on the shoulder and called me a superstar 😈
    I am seething
    Enough to write on a forum about it anyway.

The question is should i challenge him about it or go to my real team lead and tell him that I have a problem with this man?

redthunder
    Free Member

Old Git would be better then 😉

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Young maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan 🙂

and he just laughed it off but it really annoyed me.

that would be my reason for doing it 🙂

IanMunro
    Free Member

I reckon if you are the slightest bit concerned about being called 'young man', then it's probably accurate 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

jeez – you're easily upset

Smee
    Free Member

Deck him.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I hate people partonising me.

fadda

Any opportunity to wee in his shoes…?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Well..I'm 44 and would love to be called young!! 8)

LOL at CFH!!

Oh, and as Steve Wright used to say in the good old days…"GET SOME THERAPY!!"

Moses

Just call him an old bloke, & tell him he's past it.
    He'll get the message.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Why thank you, young lady.

😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Akshewally, is "partonising" imagining someone is actually a large breasted country and western chanteuse?

FoxyChick
    Free Member

No CFH…that's Dollification!!

Strangelove
    Free Member

(Deep sigh)
    I should've known better than to post this here.

Yes I probably am being oversensitive. I wouldn't have minded if it was said by a friend, its just this bloke rubs me up the wrong way.

Foxy as to the advice

"GET SOME THERAPY!!"

no problems there. Mrs Stranglove is a psychiatrist, she thinks i am pretty normal and well balanced but maybe some social anxiety issues and I'm not surprised with people like you lot around.

Wanders off and makes note to use a spell checker in future

FoxyChick
    Free Member

LOL!!!!

Diddums….

FOSHOYAHO
    Free Member

lol I'm 40 and consider myself to be 'younger' than most 20 somethings! what was that about therapy?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As it happens, I was recently in Nashville. The airport is hilarious, as the tannoy announcers are all C&W "stars". I laughed loudly when the tannoy said "Hey, y'all, Aaaa'm Dolly Parton, now y'all make sure y'all know where y'all's bags are, ya hear!"

Strangelove
    Free Member

LOL!!!!

Diddums….
    now that IS patronising

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

So its the bloke that irritates you, for possibly no particularly good reason (hey' we're all human, plenty of people get on my tits too), and the "young man" is a symptom, rather than the cause of the irritation.

You are being over sensitive, but again, thats a natural emotion. Personally, I'd grit my teeth and bear through it, as its so trivial, that it will simply mmake you look alike a pratt/poor sport.

For instance, theres a kid who gets on my bus every day, with the loudest ipod ever. He might aa well have speakers, for all the good the earphones do. But it winds me up more than the other passengers, almost certainly, so I sit it out, knowing that even asking him to turn it down is probably disproportionate, and will simply make me appear like a grumpy old fart.

Its really your problem, not his, especially if he's popular and doesnt wind up others like he does you.

druidh
    Free Member

To the OP – are you really so insecure that this upsets you and you have to post here to subsequently be made a mockery of?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

To the OP – I would be peed off with that – but I don't work in industries where that would be acceptable anyway.

Slap his hand away if he goes for a touch again

RichPenny
    Free Member

Slap his hand away if he goes for a touch again

😯

djglover
    Free Member

You need to get over it and be more assertive.

Strangelove
    Free Member

druidh
    I expected a bit of banter, I didnt expect to be made a mockery of.
    I have come home from work tired and feeling wound up. I needed some release.

druidh
    Free Member

Strangelove – Member

druidh
    I have come home from work tired and feeling wound up. I needed some release.

Off to the bedroom with your special sock then?

Drac

Are you new here?

kennyp
    Free Member

I am seething

Have a quick look at some news websites, check out the hundreds of millions of folk all over the world who are poor or hungry or sick……….and if you still need to be angry, be angry about that.

Other than that, crack open a beer, chill out, don't let the bloke at work get to you, and remember that most of the folk on here winding you up are only doing it for a laugh.

Oh, and then have another beer.

kennyp
    Free Member

but I don't work in industries where that would be acceptable anyway

If I ever worked somewhere like that I reckon I'd be trawling the job pages desperate to get out.

CountZero

Nobody at work would say that, but there have been occasions where someone clearly younger than myself has called me 'young man', and at 55, I find it highly amusing. People can call me anything they like, just don't call me late for tea.

fozzybear
    Free Member

My girlfriend calls groups of people kids, normally she is the youngest amongst us too..

baffles me a bit but we all go with it..

BigDummy
    Free Member

One of the guys I work for sometimes phones me purely for the purpose of calling me a cock. I think it's meant in a good way, so I just call him a giant bell-end.

aP
    Free Member

Once he's realised that you really hate it you'll never get away from it.
    Roll your eyes, shrug your shoulders, make goodfella hand waving and walk away, otherwise you might as well move jobs.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've been called a lot worse.It wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
    What would bother me is all this fannying around in meetings and training. Ever likely the country is going to the dogs,men poncing around in offices ,doing nowt and then off with "stress".
    What a load of old bollocks!
    And relax…ahhh.

Toddboy
    Free Member

Sounds as though the problem is not necessarily with this blokes actions, but with the fact that he sees himself as a 'team lead', and you already have a problem with that issue. Anything after that, like name calling is obviously going to annoy you.

Get you bike out, go for a long ride, get home and have a cold beer!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just say "Sure thing grandad" 🙂

soobalias
    Free Member

OP fight back by referring to him as ole timer, in direct reply to young man – every time

Jujuuk68 get yourself a louder ipod, plonk yourself down right on top of the kid on the bus, strike up a very loud conversation about music

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

A customer called me "sonny" the other day , Im 43!!

samuri
    Free Member

The coach at the velodrome calls me a young man all the time and I'm 42. I quite like it.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mrs Stranglove is a psychiatrist, she thinks i am pretty normal

Psychiatrists are the strangest people I've ever met 😯

And yes young man, you sound way too sensitive.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sillyoldhector

actually Sillyinfanthector

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Is it partonising & condescending…’ is closed to new replies.