Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Is it normal to wait 3 months for the free Windows 10 upgrade?
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So I applied for my free Windows 10 upgrade for my Windows 7 desktop about 3 months ago, but I’m still waiting for it to tell me it’s ready to install.

I’ve got the little Windows icon in the notification area but when I click on it, it just says “Your upgrade has been reserved. There’s nothing you need to do at the moment. You’ll receive a notification on your PC or Tablet when Windows 10 is ready to be installed.”

Anyone else been waiting this long? Is there a way to force the upgrade sooner?

cp

Just download the appropriate ISO installation disc image for your requirements here:-

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

cp

Ps, if you’re not familiar with iso images, don’t just copy it to a USB drive or DVD, the easiest thing to do is have a blank DVD in the drive and double click the ISO image file in windows explorer. Windows will then burn the disc correctly.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hi cp, appreciate the advice, but as you lost me straight away with the mention of “ISO installation disc image” then I’m probably not the right person to be going that route! I think it’s probably best I go the simple, idiot proof, Windows way if possible, but just don’t know whether I should still be waiting for my turn, or if something’s gone wrong with my particular installation. I’m suspicious because the Windows upgrade icon didn’t come up automatically for me like it should have – I had to visit the Microsoft website and download a few fixes before it even recognised my machine as being eligible for the upgrade. And now it’s just been sitting there for three months – waiting!

midlifecrisis
    Free Member
    Cougar

Here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Click the [Upgrade now] button, run the tool.

v8ninety

^that worked for me^

wwaswas

wot cougar sed.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Great – I’ll give it a go! As soon as I’ve finished surfing STW that is 😉

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, tried it but that’s basically the same tool I ran three months ago which checks your PC is eligible and then puts you in the queue for the upgrade. So when I run the tool again absolutely nothing happens because I’m already in the queue.

Would be really interested to hear if any other Windows 7 users have been waiting 3 months or whether its just me? As a comparison, my Windows 8.1 laptop upgraded within about six weeks of me registering.

cp

Would be really interested to hear if any other Windows 7 users have been waiting 3 months or whether its just me?

a couple of folk at work have had the wait and did the ISO download/create media route. I didn’t even get the ‘you are elegible’ thing. I just used the ISO, created an install DVD and boom, away.

It’s really easy, you just need a blank DVD, download the ‘Windows 10’ ISO (top option on the drop down from the page I linked to). Insert blank DVD, find the ISO file on your PC (usually in downloads) and double click the ISO file. it will create the install DVD.

Once DVD is made, if it hasn’t auto ejected, pop open the DVD tray, then close it again with DVD in, and the windows 10 installer will start – you’ll get all the options as to whether you want to do a clean install (lose all existing files) or do an upgrade (keep files).

The nice thing about doing it this way is you have an installer disc if all goes wrong later and you need to start again from scratch. You don’t get that option with the upgrade tool.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hmmm, you might have persuaded me. If it doesn’t auto install this week, it might just become my Xmas holiday project! I’m gonna make damn sure I back all my files up on a spare HD first though, as I don’t trust myself not to muck it up 😆

cp

Yes, definitely do that 🙂

wwaswas

You don’t necessarily have to create a DVD, I’ve used http://www.poweriso.com/index.htm to access iso images stored on usb’s and disks.

(from memory the trial/free version works fine for reading iso’s but not creating them).

Oh, and one thing – make sure you have Windows up to date – I only got offered the upgrade after I’d installed a specific patch on Win8.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

In terms of ‘is it normal’, mine’s just done the upgrade over the weekend after a similar period of time.

If you have a 4gb usb stick just use that, the d/l will automatically write the file to usb or dvd if you select the option to install on another machine.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Personally I just waited as not too fussed.

eskay

Question to those who have upgraded – is it worth it?

I am eligible but because IE is screwed on my PC I cannot run the update tool (it just displays a white screen). I have tried loads of online solutions but none of them work. Thanks to the link above I can try the ISO route but interested to hear people’s thoughts on WIN10.

cp

It’s OK, if you’re on Win 8/8.1 it’s a no brainer IME, the interface is just far more consistent.

If your’re on Win7, it’s debatable. But if you want to get into the continued windows support model without being charged in the future, you need to change to Win10 now. EDIT – or at least before they end the free change path.

ant77
    Free Member

From what I understand of the upgrade, when you sign up a quick scan of your machine is done. This info is then sent to Microsoft who then assign you a compatibility score.
    The higher the score, the higher in the queue and the quicker you’ll get done.
    So they get the easy ones out of the way, possibly getting a few errors in the process which they can sort.
    Then they move down to the next tier, slightly more problematic, and can use the fixes already found to hopefully make it easier.
    And so on and so forth down the levels until they get to the machines that can only just run it and they have a catalogue of fixes for most issues.
    This causes a bit of a wait for any slightly older machines or custom built ones.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Is it normal to wait 3 months for the free Windows 10 upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.