• This topic has 49 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • sloe pickers, now?
  • turboferret

I think I must run through some blackthorn populated woods to and from work, so I’ll make a concerted effort to potter around and do some picking in the very near future 🙂

Cheers, Rich

rOcKeTdOg

Picked 2kg last weekend, dunno why though, we have gallons of the stuff made over the last 3 years plus BlackBerry Gin (tastes like undiluted ribena), cranberry, apple & raspberry vodka. This year Having a go at blackberry whisky & rhubarb vodka too

ahwiles
    Free Member

after last night’s effort, i have arrived at the following rule of thumb:

half an hour picking* = half a kilo.

(*including 5mins pedaling to the next secret spot)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigG
    Free Member

I bought mine off ebay ten days ago, currently have six litres steeping away.

I put them in the freezer for a couple of days til I could work out where was cheapest to buy gin. It saved me poking them with a pin, which is good.

I know this makes me a philistine but I don’t care and I don’t have time to hunt around Central Scotland for Sloes when I know there are very few.

TooTall
    Free Member

Bramble Whisky is GREAT. Sugar, blackberries and whisky and it ends up like a very smooth yet light and potent port.

woody21
    Free Member

We’ve picked our Sloes, there seems to be a good harvest this year (in the Peak District). We’ll be using Aldi’s London Dry Gin – £9.99 a 70cl bottle

muddyground
    Free Member

5kg here in the south; 3l of gin pickling away, loads of Sloe’s in the freezer. Well, there would be if wife hadn’t found my stash and shared it around the neighbours. Put one away for a 3 year steep; added a cinnamon stick, fennel and no sugar. Tesco’s cheapest gin. Much more fun than making jam.

TooTall
    Free Member

If any of the Bristol crowd in here live near Emersons Green / Pucklechurch, I can tell you the motherlode of all sloe hedges. There was enough for me to make 5 gallons one year and have plenty left for everyone else!

ahwiles
    Free Member

it’s that time of year again, but is anyone else stuggling to find a good crop? I’ve just about found half a kilo*, on the plus side i’ve found a few more spots to look next year…

(*which is bugger-all really)

i’m even considering breaking into my (so far) 1 year steep, as i’ve run out!

Drac

Picked loads from a new spot I found. One bottle on the go already, plus a blackberry one and as I found a forgotten bottle of bourbon I’ve threw some blackberries in that too.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘sloe pickers, now?’ is closed to new replies.