Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Is it much better????
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

I wanna change my front mech (currently x7 TOP SWING) to probably xtr. The new m970s are mentally expensive but you can get a m960 for much cheaper. Would there be much difference? Or how about x9 compared to a xtr. Must be top swing, bottom pull and 31.8 band.

For those about to mock for upgrading, no there isn’t anything wrong with my x7, however I need a front mech for another frame I’m building up so thought might as well upgrade my ‘better bike’ in the process.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I have never noticed any really signficant difference in the performance of front mechs. Reasonably well adjusted ones driven by smooth cables work, badly adjusted ones with gunky cables don’t work too well. I’d always save the money myself.

🙂

james
    Free Member

At the very least, wait until the SRAM one wears out/breaks/doesn’t fit a new frame or something
    Even then a Deore/SLX/SRAM one should do the job. Unless you’re really trying to shave off the grams, is there any point getting XTR?
    (XT is 3g lighter than the SLX one)

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Well yeh I want a better/lighter front mech for my meta. And in the process I will have the x7 for the hardtail frame I’m building up. All I want to know is if the m970 will be much better than m960 or an x9.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Bragging rights, nothing more.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

get an old skool LX one, those things will never ever ever fail, i want to upgrade it but theres not even a mm of play in it!

Del

they’re all pretty agricultural things at best. may as well pick one on colour TBH

zaskar
    Free Member

Whats the price difference? no beer for a month?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Is it much better????’ is closed to new replies.