Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Is it 'espresso' or 'expresso?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I often hear people say ‘Can I have an expresso please’ in the coffee queue. This just sounds wrong to me, and makes me angry inside, then I go home and take it out on my wife.

The question is, is ‘expresso’ wrong, or am I just being a pretentious middle-class knob?

iDave
    Free Member

yes to both

igm

poppa – you are entirely correct and entitled to tut at them in a disparaging way

Mark

It’s Espresso.

But, if you are looking for a good coffee machine on Ebay then it’s worth searching for Expresso since there’s a few sales as that. These sales tend to be overlooked by most more knowledgeable buyers who correctly search of an Espresso machine and you can often pick up a bargain at the expense of the seller who can’t spell 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

As a society, I think we’re too tollerant. I say let ’em have it with both barrels.

But maybe that’s because I don’t like coffee.

I often hear people around me talk about “somethink”. I’m pretty certain they’re taking about “something”.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I just shake my closed hand in front of them, and tell them to smell the aroma. Always worked for Gareth Hunt.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Espresso as despite what people may think it was originally about speed not pressure.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

I seem to hear a lot of people saying “pacific” instead of “specific”, are they truly that ignorant?

RicP
    Free Member

Don’t get me started on ‘lar tay’.

And I’m a southerner who likes putting in an extra r or two.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Blatantly instead of patently.

blutac
    Free Member

i have one of these Le Presso, great bit of kit !!

(i have no links with the provider just a satisfied customer, please delete if this breaks and rules or is offensive)

poppa
    Free Member

Ah I had a suspicion I was right, about the second part at least.

No one I know says ‘somethink’, I believe the correct pronunciation is ‘somefink’.

poppa
    Free Member

Ooh ooh ooh, another one I don’t like is the Australian pronunctiation of pasta:

Paaarsta!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Always worked for Gareth Hunt.

How come he’s dead now then ?

supinerider
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3y0CD2CoCs[/video]

1:14

(mild comic violence)

Americans saying “erbs” is my pet hate. They insist on spelling everything as it’s pronounced, so why can’t they pronounce ‘herbs’ as it’s spelt?

hels
    Free Member

Nice one. My pet hate is “pacific” (an ocean) in place of “specific” (not an ocean).

Although somebody winds me up on purpose pronouncing “L’Occitane” as “Locksatane” which def makes me a middle class snob.

thebunk

Apparently it’s a Bristol thing to randomly add the letter L to the end of words. Totally baffling…

[edit to go back on topic]

Expressol!

[/edit]

juan
    Free Member

Well it depends where you are 😉
    Expresso is french. Most likely the frenchisation of the italian word espresso.
    So now (and that is going to really hurt me to admit) marc stands correct as the english language has imported the word from italian. It’s therefore espresso.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think you should expresso espresso yourself better

BigJohn

I think the problem you have is queuing in a cafe to buy coffee.

Drink water or beer when out of the house during the day. Perfect espresso coffee can only be experienced at home.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYi8lA9y_BY[/video]

poppa
    Free Member

Presumably using an espresso machine powered by feelings of smug self-satisfaction.

😉

geoffj

And WTF is a laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaartaaaaaaaaaaaaay?

molgrips
    Free Member

They insist on spelling everything as it’s pronounced

No, they don’t.

The differences in spelling date back to before there were dictionaries and therefore a definitive spelling on either side of the Atlantic. Webster came up with his dictionary in the US with what he felt was appropriate, and someone over here did the same independently.

Only the truly ignorant get sarky with Americans for differences like this, imagining things here have always been as they are now and they somehow distorted the ‘real’ thing.

Latte is Italian for milk, anyone care to enlighten us how the Italians pronounce it. Some where betwen Latty and Laah-tey I expect.

Pretty frigging ridiculous to argue over the correct English pronounciation of words that aren’t even English anyway. As if your bastardisation of Italian is somehow more worthy than anyone else’s.

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Peasant!

igm

Pheasant!

allthepies
    Free Member

laaaaaartay + 1

Grrrr…

geoffj

As if your bastardisation of Italian is somehow more worthy than anyone else’s.

Eh? It’s the bastardisation I’m complaining about. 🙄

supinerider
    Free Member

@molgrips

Not getting sarky with anyone. You certainly seem to have your panties in a bunch though. Must be difficult being surrounded by the ‘truly ignorant’. That was sarky by the way.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

okay, now i would like to check the work ‘schedule’ before the next meeting with my boss

is it pronunced ‘shed-ule’ or ‘sked-ule’?

i use shed-ule, maybe i should start using the word timetable instead…

kevonakona
    Free Member

ASK not axe. “I’ll just axe that bloke.” That’s a bit extreme is it not? Just question him a bit.

Lifer
    Free Member

Shed-ule imo CP

trailmonkey

ASK not axe

Or even wore arksk – it’s more difficult to say than ask FFS 😈

As for lartay – makes me want to kill a kitten.

Worst of the local ones here is breakfastses for the plural of breakfast.

scaredypants

I often hear people say ‘Can I have an expresso please’

Of course that’s wrong, it’s “can I get a skinny latte please?”

DrJ

Expresso is french. Most likely the frenchisation of the italian word espresso.

And in France you can be super-pretentious and ask for “un express”.

Which is beside the point for me, as my morning coffee is served by

and I can barely speak, never mind specify what coffee I want.

scaredypants

for blutac, not as pretty mind:
    aeropress

@ speechless DrJ – not surprised mate; that’s a LOT of make up !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

People who can’t pronounce “Beaujolais” make my **** blood boil.

WTF are they doing drinking French wine when they can’t even speak French.

brakes
    Free Member

ristretto is where it’s at
    espresso is for lazies

emsz
    Free Member

As long as you get a small strong cup of coffee does it really matter?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I tend to say “sommat” instead of “something”. I know I’m doing it.

Espresso.

BTW this is a very useful website for the pedantic git exacting writer: Common Errors in English – Online

porter_jamie

Are we getting all uppity about regional dialects?

Lartey? Lat tey? Car sell/Cassle (castle)? GrASS/GrARSE.

i say something, gimme, and i’m sure many other things that would make plenty here cringe. i don’t care. i can correct myself fanks.

however, aluminum (pronounced the uk way but missing the second i) boils my urine, as does brought/bought, pacific is a bit annoying.

it all smacks a bit of ‘but, but, you are wrong, i had an education, i know’
    parliament is another.

see, i’m doing it now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Is it 'espresso' or 'expresso?’ is closed to new replies.