Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • is Hope gear all that?
  • toys19
    Free Member

I have had had:

hope pro 2hubs – ate bearings, ate pawl springs my superstar hubs are more reliable and half the price.

hope headsets – no better than a superstar one at half the price, have had to replace bearings in both after reasonable amount of time.

head doctor – it creeps, and gets stuck, and it expands your steerer so you have to remove it just to remove your stem/service the headset.

seat clamp – rubbish

wheel qr’s – rubbish

So of all the stuff only the headsets appear to have given me reasonable performance, but no better than superstar and much more expensive.

_tom_
    Free Member

All the Hope stuff I’ve used (seat clamp, Pro 2 hubs and a front XC hub) has been great quality and very reliable. The seatclamp isn’t as nice feeling to use as the Salsa one though, and it looks shit. Never tried their brakes but they look a bit clunky to me.

parkesie
    Free Member

No problems with hubs old xc and pro2 still going strong. Headsets still the best ive had Lights while dated compared to others offerings are robust and are lasting well. Wonder when they will bring out a new light range?

Militant_biker

I have pretty much the opposite view to toys19 – apart from the seat clamp which I’ve not used!

I could list all the parts I’ve had for years and how perfect they’ve been. Still doesn’t alter the fact that some people will love them and some will hate. Some will never service them and some will have to fettle them endlessly. Me, I never service and never fettle, and Hope works for me.

toys19
    Free Member

I have pretty much the opposite view to toys19 – apart from the seat clamp which I’ve not used!

TBH I was convinced by the marketing and all the hype, but my experience has been poor, I just don’t see it as better than superstar or other cheap stuff out there.

Anyway anecdotes don’t make science, so don’t take my experience as the definitive word.

ChrisL

I’ve been fairly happy with the XC and Pro II hubs I’ve had. The rear XC (bought 2004) has needed new bearings a couple of times and the rear Pro II (bought 2007) has needed its pawl springs replaced twice now. Not perfect, but reasonable for the use they’ve seen. I’ve generally found their seat QRs alright and nicer than the Salsa ones I’ve used – the Salsa design would be greatly improved by the addition of a bushing between the collar and the lever.

On the other hand I never got along with the Mini and later Mono Mini brakes I had. Switching to Avid Juicy 5s was a revelation and while getting Avid spares is harder than getting Hope spares the fact that the brakes simply worked better was worth that hassle. Oh and Hed Doctors are rubbish!

bendedheadtube
    Free Member

I have M4 Brakes and Pro 2 Hubs.
    The first and only problem on my pro2 Hubs was the modification from the
    QR system to the 20mm Maxle.
    The Spacers were stuck. I had to apply more force than usual to convert the hubs.
    I had the Hubs for more than 10000km / 6200mls, and had never to maintenance them.

If you want to save the option to change the Hubs from QR to another system, you should grease the O-Rings and the Spacer on the Hub after each winter.

The M4 Brakes, brilliant.
    Squeaky, when they are wet.

coogan
    Free Member

My experience is:

Brakes are shite.

Hubs are ace.

In fact all the QR’s I’ve used were fine too. Seat QR needs a bigger lever though.

compositepro
    Free Member

Their manufacturing and service are first class agreed brakes are not all they’re made out to be and they lack the innovation they bring in manufacturing to their designs

wrecker
    Free Member

Never had any problems with any hope kit I’ve owned; numerous BBs and headsets (on different bikes), m4s, tech m4s, the QRs dont feel as good as salsa or chromag but immeasurably better than the superstar one I had. Reasonably priced, easily maintainable quality kit IMO.
    My formula brakes are lighter and more powerful, my mavic wheels have better engagement but both cost a lot more than the equivalent hope alternatives so they should feel a bit better. Neither are as serviceable though.

scotsman
    Free Member

V2’s on both bikes, can’t fault them at all, the fact you can buy all the components as spares wins the day for me, also splashed out on vented discs for the DH bike for the alps trips, probably overkill and fookin expensive but they look the dogs. Only other hope product used in the last year is their Boxxer one piece top crown stem which is also lovely.

O and the tech lever adjusment.

robsoctane
    Free Member

Hi all,

Hope fan here! I have the following kit:

Seat clamp QR
    F&R wheel QR’s
    Headset & Head Doctor
    Mono6 Brakes front & rear
    Eternity seatpost
    203mm front & rear floating disks
    Everything in RED when possible.

I can without doubt say that all have been worth the money & have not in any way caused problems. The brakes are my favourite part though, they have awesome power & feel so I love them to bits. They are totally reliable but I didn’t set them up myself, got a Hope dealer to do that so it was done correctly.

I HOPE they continue to stay in the front of the pack within the British market of MTB products.

I will be buying Hoops soon, SP3’s with something wide I think. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘is Hope gear all that?’ is closed to new replies.