Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Is Cheesecake a cake???
  • niallmb
    Free Member

So Mrs MB decides that she’s going to give something up for lent and decides that it should be cake.

Today she asks me to pick up cheesecake on the way home. I respond with “I thought you’d given up cake?” she responds with “cheesecake isn’t cake”

this was then followed by a rather unnecessarily heated discussion as to the cakeness or lack thereof of cheesecake.

And so now I turn to you all as a collection of people who clearly have a vast and detailed knowledge of the world of cake to settle this once and for all…

Is cheesecake cake????

flip
    Free Member

Is a Jaffa cake a cake? or a biscuit?

Cheesecake is most definitly cake. Fact.

Giving up for Lent fail…

carlos
    Free Member

No not in my book, but it can be baked and is every bit as good as cake. nom nom

Cougar

Is a Jaffa cake a cake? or a biscuit?

It’s a cake, legally (it’s soft).

crashdummy
    Free Member

Technically no, you don’t bake it with flour.

Neither are puddings.

And jaffa cake is a cake – EU rulling

Moraly though she is on a sticky wicket

Cougar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake

Cake is a form of food, typically a sweet, baked dessert. Cakes normally contain a combination of flour, sugar, eggs, and butter or oil, with some varieties also requiring liquid (typically milk or water) and leavening agents (such as yeast or baking powder). Flavorful ingredients like fruit purées, nuts or extracts are often added, and numerous substitutions for the primary ingredients are possible. Cakes are often filled with fruit preserves or dessert sauces (like pastry cream), iced with buttercream or other icings, and decorated with marzipan, piped borders or candied fruit.

… I’d say yes, cheesecake is cake.

niallmb
    Free Member

she cited the whole jaffa cake thing, something to do with when it goes stale, biscuits go soft and cakes go hard. Surely cheesecake goes off. Or am I now just arguing against myself?

crashdummy
    Free Member

It’s a cake, legally (it’s soft).

No biscuits are double baked. Jaffa cakes are not so are cakes.

chvck
    Free Member

A brief googling suggests that cheesecake is in fact a pie!

Reasoning behind this seems to be that a cake rises, cheesecake does not.

bruneep

clue is in the name cheesecake.

🙄

LimboJimbo

I believe it is, indeed a cake, whereas Mrs Limbo holds firmly held views to the contrary. Thank you very much for instigating, frankly unnecessary, marital strife in our household this evening.

niallmb
    Free Member

that bruneep was my entire argument in a nutshell.

flip
    Free Member

However it contains no cheese 🙄

niallmb
    Free Member

apologies for sharing the marital strife limbojimbo.

I now need to decide whether to share the findings of this rather informal survey and risk the consequences or to keep my head low and never mention cheesecake again

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What were her reasons for giving up cake?

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Cheesecake does indeed contain cheese, weather it be ricotta or cottage cheese or whatever and there are cooked and none cooked versions, if its not a cake what else would you call it.

Cougar

No biscuits are double baked. Jaffa cakes are not so are cakes.

Ah, good point – that rings a bell.

niallmb
    Free Member

She’s on a whole health drive thing at the moment and I think that coupled with the feeling of wanting to be more disciplined was the reasoning behind it. I don’t feel like pointing out that cheesecake (whether cake or not) is not going to help as she’s just had a horrible day at work, I can’t think of a way to do it without sounding like I think that she needs to lose weight (which I don’t) and i kinda want to live to see tomorrow!

carlos
    Free Member

Cheese but no flour, butter, eggs or raising agent – unlike a cake

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11735/manuka-honey-cheesecake-with-raspberries

Oh and doesn’t a pie have to have a lid??

crashdummy
    Free Member

You might want to remind your wife that she has given up cake for lent – God, I suspect, doesn’t care about the legal technicalities of jaffa cakes or whether or not cheese cake is indeed a cake.

Then more cake for you. 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

cheese = the type used for disguising small horses
    base = biscuit
    cooking method = baked
    name = cake
    dessert type = pie

answer = it will make her thighs & arse fatter than most “cake” therefore give it up for lent!

niallmb
    Free Member

Mr Nutt: although I agree entirely, your post is the reason I am not going to show her this thread!!!!!!

Esme
    Free Member

Bruneep, I have one word to say to you:
    FISHCAKE

elaineanne
    Free Member

strawberry cheesecake is the best :wink:…

carlos
    Free Member

Kendal mint CAKE??

willej

What makes a cake a cake and a biscuit a biscuit is this:

A cake is moist when fresh and gradually turns dry over time, as the moisture evaporates.
    A biscuit is dry when fresh and gradually turns moist over time, as it absorbs moisture.

Therefore cheesecake is a cake. QED.

mogrim

Who cares when the baked NY cheesecake from my Kitchen Goddess cookbook is so good?

My vote: it’s a cake. It’s a cake in Spanish, too. (Tarta de queso)

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

This no flour thing mentioned confuses me – what the hell is in the biscuity base? So its made with all the things that cake, and buscuits are made of.

I say in a moment of obtuseness, that turn the tables and ask the correct question –

“Why *isnt* cheesecake, in fact, cake”? Explain why it *doesnt* count, rather than why it is.

Cougar

TBH,

She’s arbitrarily decided to stop eating something for a reason that is essentially superstition. Whether she subsequently decides that cheesecake isn’t really cake, fish isn’t really meat, cigars aren’t really smoking etc is really neither here nor there. They’re her rules and she’s making them up as she goes along.

Haze

Cake.

Cougar

It’s a made-up drug.

And also, a lie.

yossarian
    Free Member

Sir Bernard Ingham, Noel Edmonds and Rolf Harris held the yellow cake-sized pill as they talked, with Bernard Manning telling viewers that “One kiddy on Cake cried all the water out of his body. Just imagine how his mother felt. It’s a **** disgrace” and that “…you can puke your **** self to death [on this stuff] — one girl threw up her own pelvis-bone… What a **** disgrace”. Manning, with other participants, told the public that Cake was known on the street as “loonytoad quack”, “Joss Ackland’s spunky backpack”, “ponce on the heath”, “rustledust” or “Hattie Jacques pretentious cheese wog”, and told anyone offered it to “chuck it back in their face and tell them to **** off”.

I love chris morris

mogrim

They’re her rules and she’s making them up as she goes along

And it’s a brave or foolhardy man that would go against his wife when she’s had a bad day at work and any comment may be misconstrued as saying he thinks she’s fat.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Is Cheesecake a cake???’ is closed to new replies.