Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Is Angora cruel?
  • teenrat

I fancy one of those On one angora heavyweight tops, but have read that the way that Angora is taken from the rabbits is very cruel. I wont buy one if it is the case. Is this true or propaganda

nealglover
    Free Member

Some places have stopped selling angora due to the recent news about its production

H&M possibly ?

So I doubt it’s just propaganda.

aP
    Free Member
    teenrat

If thats the case, then shame on you On One. No tops, or other purchases for me!

iolo
    Free Member

It’s fine.
    It’s made in china and its cheap.
    The perfect On One product.

kimbers

didnt realise on-one did Angora, its boycott time!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Don’t believe everything PETA publicise though – they are well known for “stretching” facts

teenrat

Iolo, where does it say its made ( by that i think you mean manufactured) in China? No where in the On one spiel about it does it state that its not real Angora.

spectabilis
    Free Member

The majority of Angora fur comes from Chinese farms, as China has no laws on animal cruelty the animals have most likely been treated as the videos show. some may have better conditions than others but how would you know…

Angora can be harvested humanely so the On-One/PlanetX stuff could be acceptable but it’s unlikely unfortunately…

Until stated otherwise Eff U On-one.

nealglover
    Free Member

Don’t believe everything PETA publicise though – they are well known for “stretching” facts

Which bit of the videos posted all over the internet about angora production don’t you believe ?

iolo
    Free Member

It’s just the link kimbers put up. It’s definitely an eastern thing.
    Please on one. Are they ethically sourced?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hope on-one come and answer this question. More than happy to join the boycott if they’re not ethically sourced.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed, the question here must be the supply chain, not the product per se.

nick1962
    Free Member

Whilst cruelty to animals is abhorrent and ethical sourcing is to be supported I assume you will all also be relnquishing your aluminium bikes as the bauxite mining and their production cause untold damage to wildlife ,flora,fauna, water sources etc and also god forbid humans too.
    Edit
    My first google search
    http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/jun/13/mining-aluminium-tribes-india-jagger

cloudnine
    Free Member

Why do they literally have to skin the wabbit alive?

Onzadog
    Free Member

While I might not have my social objects perfectly sorted just yet, I’m working on the theory that some ethical direction is better than non.

nick1962
    Free Member

They don’t,they should tease it out when it is ready to moult to allow regrowth.Some types you can shave but for some this is harmful.Certainly not vegan friendly imho.

cloudnine
    Free Member

OK.. just watched the vid.. thats a pretty sick thing to do to a fluffy bunny.

spectabilis
    Free Member

cloudnine – Member
    Why do they literally have to skin the wabbit alive?

To take as much fur as possible whilst keeping the animal alive to grow more……

The dog one is the worst I reckon that is actually skinning alive and apparently done as the skins are more easily removed when the flesh is warm….. If your squeamish do not search for that vid!

teenrat

Ive sent On-One an email asking the question.

iolo
    Free Member

Brant to the forum. Paging Brant

soobalias
    Free Member

what do they make from dog fur?

iolo
    Free Member
    bob_summers

hammyuk – Member

I take it this is photoshopped then?

Not sure why this is any more of a scandal than anything that happens in the animal trade tbh.

spectabilis
    Free Member

what do they make from dog fur?

Knock off “Ugg ” boots was one not sure on exact products but it’s used..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bob, it’s because it’s ickle fluffy wuffy bunnykins and products bought by educated middle class folks. Perfect targets for guilt revulsion tactics. Stuff made from equally abhorrent supply chains, including animal cruelty, child labour and more is available at all sorts of low cost shops, but their clientele either don’t know or don’t care.

iolo
    Free Member

So CHF, are you telling us its kids who weld the new 456?

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yes this too will be swiftly brushed under the carpet.

stu170
    Free Member

Best get one of these ordered before they get pulled from the shelves.

Horlicks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Iolo, no. That’s done by Northeners, in truly vile working conditions. They love it. Gives them another thing to whine about.

😉

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t trust anything that PETA put out. Not saying its not true, but I’d be looking to find more sources that anything they’ve sourced. Stretching the truth, mislabelling of videos and images, killing dogs and plain lying about it and their marketing and advertising tactics are all offensive to me.

yunki
    Free Member

bugger me if I haven’t just been tempted by a thousand and one bargainous things on their bloody website.. 🙄

bloody stealth marketing

bob_summers

I wouldn’t trust anything that PETA put out

Agreed re. their killing of healthy animals in their ‘shelters’.

But mislabelling images/videos? Do you suggest we take the meat industry’s word instead?

nick1962
    Free Member

are you telling us its kids who weld the new 456?

Kids blinded through welding with no goggles would explain the shonky looking welds surely?

RustySpanner

We exploit other animals and cause them unspeakable (literally, natch) pain and agony to pursue our idealistic, airbrushed, lice and vermin free lifestyles.

We do the same to other people too, so we can have our cheap food, bikes, clothes and consumer goods.
    That doesn’t get mentioned as much, obviously. It might upset the kiddies.
    And we can’t have that.

Accept it and deal with your guilt, or try and change it.

Let’s face it, most of us are happy to inflict pain and suffering on other creatures, human and non-human, just so we can buy more pointless, mind-numbing shite that we don’t need.

Hats off to the vegans, at least they’re willing to acknowledge the issue.

And on that note, I’d like to wish everyone a Happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnObQDW5bHQ[/video]

teenrat

I try and be as ethical as i can in all i buy. If the Angora is ethically sourced, then i will buy it, if it is not then i wont. That action, in my eyes, is me trying to make a difference

bigjim

Do you suggest we take the meat industry’s word instead?

lol yes of course more than you could trust the People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. I think they’ve admitted they’ve exaggerated things in the past and are trying to be more legit though.

I guess it all depends where the angora is sourced from though.

I assume you will all also be relnquishing your aluminium bikes as the bauxite mining and their production cause untold damage to wildlife ,flora,fauna, water sources etc and also god forbid humans too.

and not replacing mobile phones every year, buying tablets to browse stw and supporting the Coltan industry, whilst munching palm oil and monsanto neonicitinoid coated seed based food, or farmed salmon… the hypocrisy list is endless 😉

bob_summers

My guess is, if the claim was that the hair is gently teased from the rabbit by delicate fairies, the truth would still be of shocking abuses.

http://www.care2.com/causes/cruelty-exposed-on-award-winning-farms.html

http://www.viva.org.uk/what-we-do/about-us/media-centre/media-releases/cruelty-and-filth-exposed-happy-egg-company

Etc. Mix animal products with financial gain, and there is only going to be one loser. This seems to extrapolate to cheap electronics/consumer goods and ever-increasing demand and competition.

yunki
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Is Angora cruel?’ is closed to new replies.