Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Is a (new) Five frame worth £300 more than a Heckler frame?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

And why / why not? Just the shocks?

wrecker
    Free Member

Why on earth would it be? Same materials, no difference in quality.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

The five looks better and the bearings aren’t pressed into the frame. It’s also British…. That’s gonna upset a few people.

klunky
    Free Member

They ride very differently. Look at the angles and lengths of the bike they are hugely different.

wrecker
    Free Member

The five looks better? Really?!?

chakaping
    Free Member

The new five looks lovely to my eyes but it’s worth the extra for the geometry alone.

Is it just between those two?

munkyboy
    Free Member

The new five is stunning. You really need to see one in the flesh

thegreatape
    Free Member

I saw several today, the Kermit Green one was particularly drool worthy.

Not necessarily between those two, they are what came to mind for the criteria of alloy, single pivot, decent warranty, well thought of and available as a frame only.

In what ways does the ride differ?

coogan
    Free Member

Heckler looks way nicer, the Five is pig ugly. But just that’s aesthetics, no idea which one rides better.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’d pay £300 more just for it to say ‘Made in Halifax, by Bert’ above, ‘Made in…..’ (where are Hecklers made?)

Go on, tell me 5’s are made in the far East! (mine wasn’t)

andyg1966

Exactly the conundrum I have right now. Having a 2011 Five which does all I need, I’m coming down in favour of a new Five. Five has a Fox shock, Hecker a Rockshox, no idea which shock is better.

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I don’t know whether these guys still do it, but when I was looking they were open to sensible offers – worth a try, surely.

http://www.jmtb.co.uk/frames/orange-five-frame-inc-shock-2016/

The Five geometry is bang on.

scotroutes

Does welding things at a slightly different angle cost £300 though?

poah
    Free Member

if I had £1600 I would buy a different frame than a 5 or a heckler (transition patrol). that said if those are the only too options I would get the 5 as the geometry suits me better but would get the debonair upgrade for £20 over the shite fox performance shock

wrecker
    Free Member

the Kermit Green one was particularly drool worthy.

Pervert! 😉

ads678

I’ve always thought the Fives looked good, but the new ones look great. I’t be on my list if I was buying a frame.

I also like the british made thing, saying that I currently own three frame that were probably all made in Taiwan!! (Ragley BP, Commencal Meta AM and Planet X LR).

gelert
    Free Member

I ride Five 2013 and Alpine 2014 (both 26). I’ve demoed Five 650b 2014, Five 2015 Mk2, Heckler 2015, Nomad 2015, Bronson 2015, etc.

In my opinion the Heckler is more comparable to the older Five 2013s than to any of the newer ones.

The new 2015 Five Mk2 has geometry closer to the 2014 Alpine than to a Heckler. More Enduro than XC.

Depends what you want in a bike. Personally I’d go with the new Five and use the longer and more stable geo for the downs.

I did enjoy riding the Heckler though. It was a fun bike. It did feel very Orange-like. It was a damn sight more fun than the Bronson IMO.

The new Fox DPS EVOL shocks are meant to be absolutely amazing and especially good on SP bikes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Pervert!

I know!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Thanks gelert.

What are Orange like for customer service? I’m sure I’ve read on here one or two tales of disinterest at solving problems, but obviously that’s not necessarily representative.

honourablegeorge

wrecker – Member
    The five looks better? Really?!?

I’d say it does, in the sense that it looks more “right” geometrically. I wouldn’t be hanging a picture of either on my wall, mind.

Heckler swingarm is an ugly thing, very little to choose between that and the Five one, and while I don’t care for the seat tube brace on the five, at least it doesn’t have the gopping SC graphics.

£300 premium of the five is a lot, but I’d sooner have a bike with the right geometry than a short, high Santa Cruz.

wrecker
    Free Member

£300 premium of the five is a lot, but I’d sooner have a bike with the right geometry than a short, high Santa Cruz.

Good point. In terms of actual value, the £300 is hard to justify, BUT if it’s the right bike in terms of geometry, customer support, ease of servicing then that’s well worth £300. It’s subjective though, so do try both!!!

Northwind

Objectively, the Heckler is better made and generally better supported. Subjectively, I’d have the Five. Some day Santa Cruz geometry will get into this decade BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY and nothing else they do really gets round that

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member

Some day Santa Cruz geometry will get into this decade BUT IT IS NOT THIS DAY

The new Solo/Bronson look like they’re getting pretty close. Would really like a Solo for kicking around the woods on. If I could afford five grand for a kicking-around-the-woods bike

gelert
    Free Member

Not had to deal with Orange customer service myself but my LBS did on my behalf and they were great. My Alpine was Ex-Display unused with full 5-year frame warranty. The Fox 34 Kashima coat wasn’t right. Fox wouldn’t take it back as LBS/me were 2nd owners effectively, Orange took it back and sent it to Fox. New CSU under warranty. Been absolutely mint since. I’ve had the suspension serviced religiously. I’m going to get the FIT4 and EVOL upgrade in a few weeks at it’s 12 month anniversary and full Mojo service although the suspension performance seems fine to me! But upgrades, eh!?

My Five is 2nd hand so I think I’ve no warranty anyway. Same with Santa Cruz though. The SC lifetime warranty is only for the first owner. Incidentally the basic Fox EVO rear shock on the Five is amazing. Easily as good as the Factory Fox on the Alpine IMO.

I’ve had no issues whatsoever with Orange’s part of the bikes at all. Absolutely bullet proof frames for me. I do XC (one a year at Llandegla – next weekend – wish me luck!), Enduro (Welsh Enduro Series) and DH rides (no races yet) at Antur Stiniog and Llangollen and lots of natural all mountain rocky stuff. I do Trail/XC rides on the Alpine as much as the Five but I do reserve the Alpine for uplift days and Enduro Races but the Five can and does all the same steep stuff just as well. Love them both!

The new 2015 Mk2 Five will be a blend of both – a truly do it all bike I have no doubt. Bang in the middle at 66 HA with the length of the 2014 Alpine. My Five is 67 and Alpine 65. There’s 40mm total wheelbase difference in mine but the Five has 10mm shorter rear end and it makes a LOT of difference to playfulness for me. I’m on the back wheel having fun more with the Five than the Alpine. The Alpine just takes more muscling around. Both jump really well. Both climb the same too just the Alpine tires me out a bit quicker. No issues with wandering at the front. Both 1×10. Both low end of 13kg with pedals.

Absolutely brilliant bikes. Every ride on them is brilliant. Can’t fault them at all.

I’ve put 950 miles on the Alpine (Nov 14) and 350 on the Five so far (end of July).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Is a (new) Five frame worth £300 more than a Heckler frame?’ is closed to new replies.