Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • is 8 years too old……….?
  • easygroove
    Free Member

my nicolai helius frame was bought in 2004. Loads of bits have been upgraded, some old stuff remains in place like Hope M4’s. thing is, the frame is in great condition even though its been ridden hard in Uk and now in Austrlia. It will not break…..i’d like another frame but justifying it when the nicolai is still doing the job is hard. Should i be satisfied that my 1500gbp investment in the frame was fantastic value for money 8 years later!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why would it be? In theory alloy frames fatigue but in practice this does not seem to have a huge effect

rocketman
    Free Member

Things have moved on. It’s not until one tries something new that one realises how much.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Alphabet

My 04 s-works Enduro is still going strong and at £999 for the frame makes it even better value for money 😉

njee20
    Free Member

My ‘nice’ (carbon) road bike is 8 years old. I keep meaning to replace it, but I really like it. It’s still a night and day improvement on the ‘winter’ bike, so it seems a bit pointless!

Chainrings are original too, must have a good 40,000 miles in them!

Conan257
    Free Member

2005 FSR here, I’d love a new frame, but only because it would be new!

Considering a new paintjob to spice it up a bit as the paint is looking tired…

nick3216
    Free Member

1996 Turner Burner is my bouncy aluminium bike of choice. Paid a grand second hand 11 years ago.

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Why would it be? In theory alloy frames fatigue but in practice this does not seem to have a huge effect

Yes it does. I’ve seem loads of frames (several of mine included unfortunately) break due to fatigue. Are you suggesting that bike frames don’t fatigue to any significant degree?

Mike_D
    Free Member

I’ve seen loads of frames remain completely intact for years on end 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thats the point clubber – some do – but some do not. 20 yr old ally frames still work. It appears not be as critical as some of us thought it would be

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

rocketman – Member

Things have moved on. It’s not until one tries something new that one realises how much.

In what way have frame designs “moved on”

DezB
    Free Member

2006. Years left in it.

(Should be a Yeti pic there ^^ )

Bullshit!

clubber
    Free Member

Right, ok yes, you’re right – some do seem to be built in a way that they last much longer than you’d expect. Oddly enough IME, it’s CAAD3 Cannondales which don’t seem to live up to the Crack’n’fail reputation.

As to moving on, IME, full sussers are lighter and better all rounders than they were 10 years ago. Doesn’t mean that the old ones don’t work of course or that the improvements are worth spending the money on – only you can decide that.

womble72
    Free Member

My Epic Comp must be at least 9 years old. Everything is original apart from the tyres. I was going to sell it for a Singular Swift but have decided to keep it. Really Really REALLY want a Swift though :-/

bigyinn
    Free Member

My Enduro (warranty replacement) is 8yo this year, although the original frame would have been 9yo+ by now, if it hadnt cracked!

mogrim

In what way have frame designs “moved on”

Shock design, and fine-tuning frame design for those shocks. Weight, too.

wrecker
    Free Member

Bullshit!

Those forks aren’t from 2006 though, are they? and those brakes look suspiciously like hydraulic discs to me…….

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

If you like it, keep it.

People are quite right about the amount of ‘skill compensation’ built into modern frames.

I remember Steve Peat winning downhills on a rigid Kona and he’d probably beat us all today on the same bike, as would Merckxx on his 70’s steel 10 speed despite our carbon tubulars and electric shifting.

Only an opinion but I’ve been embarrassed too many times by folk on lesser bikes to think its the bigger part of the equation.

Mike_D
    Free Member

Oddly enough IME, it’s CAAD3 Cannondales which don’t seem to live up to the Crack’n’fail reputation.

I’ve got a 1992 3.0series in regular (if undemanding) use 🙂

For every example there is an equal and opposite counterexample 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Ballistic Squirrel model then?

ads678

I have a 2005 Orange Five and a 2004 GT Avalanche still going strong, both frames are in great nick, a respray would be nice but they still ride the same as ever. The five still has the original manitou shock on it as well!

Those forks aren’t from 2006 though, are they? and those brakes look suspiciously like hydraulic discs to me…….

They aren’t frames though are they.

clubber
    Free Member

hydraulic discs were well established by 2002 too.

armo
    Free Member

2006. Years left in it.
    Don’t brake too hard as my mates rear triangle has just snapped!

wors

Hills and mountains haven’t though, not in the last 8 years anway.

njee20
    Free Member

My Epic Comp must be at least 9 years old

Can’t be any older, they were introduced in 2003!

Seriously? Fox Forx came about in 2002. Shimano started their XT 4-pot brakes in 2001 following Hope C2s and what not which had been around for several years.

My 2006 race bike looked pretty damn similar to my current one technologically!

brassneck

2001 Superlight here, reknowned for exploding and maiming the pilot (apparently). I shall be riding it till it does.

cookeaa

Hmmm,

I suppose general thinking on certain types of MTB geometry has ” Moved On” a bit, but we’re not talking staggering seismic shifts in thinking really; a couple of degrees in head angle, maybe +/-10mm of top tube in some cases, but I doubt your bike is actually as “Dated” as you think it is, plus it all comes down to the reality of using it, is it actually un-ridable? or are you still enjoying riding it?

I’d suggest keeping it personally as it’s gotten you this far, see if it can make it to the 10 year mark… By which point it will owe you even less.
    A decade of use at ~£150 a year is a relative bargain…

Shiney new things bring their own problems when they fail to live up to the hype/expectations and they tend to dent the bank balance, the money you don’t spend on a new frame could probably cover a couple of alpine trips, or carry in clocking up some interest ready for the next purchase in a couple of years…

wrecker
    Free Member

Seriously? Fox Forx came about in 2002. Shimano started their XT 4-pot brakes in 2001 following Hope C2s and what not which had been around for several years.

Seriously? Do those forks look like they are 2002 models to you?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Nah, I don’t think you’d see a huge difference by upgrading to the latest model.

And I’m saying that as someone who’s fighting his hardest to resist the temptation of selling his own Nicolai FR to get an AC 29’er, but has the complete realisation that every time he rides it, he falls in love with it again, and it just keeps on giving and giving and being wonderful 😀

Just treat it to some new forks and a new shock and it will go on loving you for ages yet.

DezB
    Free Member

Forks are 2007, the 2006 ones only differed in that they had 10cm less travel.
    Replaced the brakes to get rid of Dual Control. The performance isn’t that much different from the 2006 XTR hydros they replaced. (The levers are a million times better though!)

Weight is easily on a par with ‘today’s 5″-6″ travel bikes.

njee20
    Free Member

Seriously? Do those forks look like they are 2002 models to you?

Did I say that? Here’s a 2006 one:

Not really that different is it? 🙄

Frankly the 2002 ones looked pretty similar save the decals!

What about your brake comment? Do you honestly think that 2006 was early for brake technology!?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘is 8 years too old……….?’ is closed to new replies.