Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ironhorse MKIII Elite – cracked rear triangle – anyone else have the same issue?
  • trek8500
    Free Member

I have recently noticed a crack along the weld and another crack that is starting to work across the rear triangle on the tube.

I did some research online and it appears that it is a regular manufacturing failure of this model.

Has any one else had any issues with Ironhorse? I am speaking to the supplier to get a replacement – any tips?

Cheers

neninja
    Free Member

Will you be able to get a new rear triangle? I thought Ironhorse went bust several years ago and the new company now just sell BSOs.

legend
    Free Member

This ^

Iron Horse as you know it is long gone, probably more chance of buying another used Mk3 frame on the cheap

neninja
    Free Member

There is someone in Scotland with a rear triangle on this thread from last week – http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/iron-horse-mkiii-swingarm-254407/

RustyMac

Not had the problem my self but well aware it is a common failure point.

The company did go bust a few years ago now (shortly after they went bust CRC had some bikes at less than half price) but at that point it was know that there was no spares. They basically used as much of the parts as they could to build up full bikes fo sale to pay off some off the debt.

There was someone on here last week with another mkIII that had gone.

A company came in and bought the Iron Horse after a year or so of nothingness for the name but i don’t think they have any of the old designs.

kiwijohn

Here’s my fix. Still holding up after a year. Retired to street duties now.

RustyMac

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/44-or-tapered-head-tube-which-frames

above is the thread from earlier in the week.

klunky may be able to sort you out wth a new rear triangle if it has not been snapped up sold already.

trek8500
    Free Member

Cheers for the comments guys.

I know they went under some ago but i discovered that under the Supply of Goods Act 1979, as the bike has succumbed to a manufacturing fault, due to the weld on the rear triangle, there is sufficient cause to suggest that the product was not of satisfactory quality or fit for the purpose to which it was intended, the failure having occurred well within the standard frame Warranty period for the product when initially purchased.

Therefore, under the supply of goods act it is the responsibility of the retailer to provide a repair, replacement or refund for the goods.

So i was interested to hear if anyone else had the same issue.

I will keep you posted as to how i fare.

Cheers

RustyMac

Good luck with that.

When did you buy your frame/bike?

trek8500
    Free Member

Cheers Rusty,

Bought it in 2009 – warranty period 5 years.
    Bit annoying, but it has seen some great rides, but if I can get a replacement frame if no triangle available, then i can transfer over the other bits hopefully.

RustyMac

Would the waranty not be 1 year with the retailer then 4 years with the manufacturer?

Have you read this on the mtbr forum?

http://forums.mtbr.com/iron-horse/how-ended-495542.html

stickybuns
    Free Member

I don’t think so Rusty,

I had the same issue with my Iron Horse about 6 months ago, and was 2years and 8 months into the same 5 year warranty for the type of frame and the shop I bought it from still provided some compensation in the form of a voucher against a future purchase..
    Admittedly it was not a full new frame, but at least a good portion of a replacement, so managed to do a little upgrading at the same time..

trek8500 the only thing you would need to be careful of if just going for the frame is the compatibility of your components, some of which might need upgrading too, adding more to the cost.

trek8500
    Free Member

Hey sticky buns

thanks for your comments – so there is hope then.
    Which retailer did you get your ironhorse from?

I got mine form Evans

Cheers

trek8500
    Free Member

Sticky Buns – lol

Can you let me know via email the amount you got for your voucher pls and details of your bike/year etc, so it might help my case. Thanks

T1000
    Free Member

unfortunately Klunky wasn’t able to track any down, the stock list wasn’t up to date

so if anyone needs any frame or linkage parts (other than a rear triangle pls get in touch)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ironhorse MKIII Elite – cracked rear triangle – anyone else have the same issue?’ is closed to new replies.