Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 44 or tapered head tube… which frames…
  • T1000
    Free Member

following the death of a dear old friend (iron horse mk111 …… it was only a question of time before the rear cracked…)

what year did turners get 44 head tubes….??

giant trances have 44 head tubes ???

what year did orange head tubes go >= 44?

many thanks…. as you can probably guess I’ve a set of taper forks which were fitted to the iron horse and need to find a replacement M/L DW / Maestro would be good but open to other suggestions (had fourbars in the past…)

RustyMac

I am pretty confident that the 5 spot went to 44mm head tube in 2011.

On a side note I don’t suppose your mkiii that broke was a medium frame in black? I currently have a small but am looking for a medium front for it.

[edit] do you know about the ibis mojo and pivot bikes being DW link, they may be more accommodating in head tube dimensions [/edit]

T1000
    Free Member

Hi RM

its a medium……… in a sort of rusty metalic brown……

RustyMac

Damn,

I know the colour and it ain’t going to go very well with the black rear triangle.

T1000
    Free Member

powder coat! 😉

T1000
    Free Member

any other mk111 specific bits your after?

I’ll split the frame and mk111 bits and hang the rear triangle on a hook in the garage with the remains of bikes of old…..

RustyMac

There is the powder coat option but with the history of these frames it is highly likely to go pop once it is all tarted up and looking good.

I’m also kind of looking for a cheap option as I need to be saving my pennies just now.

RustyMac

The only bits that are particularly showing their age are the shock mount bolts. I haven’t seen any replacements come up. The hex heads are beginning to rust a little but they are sound if you push the Allen key in good and deep.

T1000
    Free Member

no problem…. I’m sure you’ll spot the front triangle lurking on ebay soon….or make me a cheap offer!

I can’t complain it cost me £200 almost 3 years ago, I’m sad to see it go as it was so capable….the rear cracked in two places exactly where I was told it would by an ex employee of the importer….

RustyMac

Love my frame will be a sad day when it goes. Bound to see it if it goes the way of the bay as I have saved searches for iron horse mk3, ironhorse mkiii and with the spaces an numbers reversed 😉 😆 just incase a broken medium frame in black turns up.

However back to your topic, the Santa Cruz Butcher could be another option for you but that would be stepping away from the DW link design. If you are buying new I would be trying to get a few test rides in.

klunky
    Free Member

I can sell you a brand new rear swing arm if you like…

T1000
    Free Member

klunky, tell me more! how much and which year is it from?

Rusty Mac, I think I’ve some spare shock mount bolts (I’ll have a look)

Butcher or Nickel could be an interesting option

RustyMac

T1000 my email is in my profile if you do find them. I’d be more than happy to send some beer tokens your way for them.

cruzer
    Free Member

The advantage you’ve got is that there are now a huge number of frames on the market that have tapered headtubes. Dont forget that you can also get away with using a 1.5″ headtube aswell.

Guessing your after 140-150mm travel? Seen a couple of tracers floating around for around the £600 mark. absolutely love mine, compliments my ti 4x bike perfectly 😀

T1000
    Free Member

unfortunately Klunky wasn’t able to track any down, the stock list wasn’t up to date

so if anyone needs any frame or linkage parts (other than a rear triangle pls get in touch)

wrecker
    Free Member

Turners went 44mm in 2011. Just built mine back up. Bit of a luxury when I already have a blur LTc!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘44 or tapered head tube… which frames…’ is closed to new replies.