Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Irish Whiskey recommendations
  • anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

So I got knocked off my bike last night, breaking my collarbone. My bosses husband gave me a lift to hospital and took my bike in. He’s Irish, and drinks whiskey, so I thought a wee drop of something would be a nice thank-you.

Any recommendations? If it was whisky I’d have a clue … all I know are the usual big brands.

Coyote
    Free Member

I’m quite fond of Tullamore Dew although I’m no expert.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Jamesons?

Northwind

There’s a posh Jamesons… Which frankly is disgusting, whereas regular Jamesons is the inexpensive burny nectar of the alcoholic gods.

sv

There’s a posh Jamesons

–>Crested Ten?

Maybe something like a Midleton one 😉

Paddys or Powers arent to bad for mainstream stuff

Of course there is always the Bush…

sobriety
    Free Member

Red Breast – But you will realise that you can’t feel your face, or your legs, then discover that you’ve sunk 3/4s of a bottle in one sitting. It’s dangerous like that.

jimster
    Free Member

Bushmills 10 year is smooth.

Tullamore is rather nice too….

sssimon
    Free Member

depends what you’re drinking it with or for

powers if it’s medicinal
    jamesons if it’s at a wedding
    middleton if you’re feeling flush
    black bush if there’s guiness on the go
    bush if you’re already steaming

that’s how it works in my life anyhow

Cougar

You could dodge the stereotype bullet completely and get him a bottle of Yamazaki?

I have nothing further to add other than to applaud your spelling.

woody2000

midlifecrashes

As an Irishman who drinks whiskey, Bushmills single malt, the 10yo, would always be appreciated. The older ones don’t add that much, imo, 21yo not very nice. Black Bush is great too, single malts aren’t all there is to whiskies. If you can get some, Coleraine (my home town) is an alternative blend of Bushmills not usually sold over here, and a nice change.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Bushmills 16yr

Or if you can find some…

Green Spot

F-StopJunkie
    Free Member

Don’t scoff, but the Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Dun Leire 8 year old (I think) has won a medal and been very highly rated. Made by Cooleys, easy to find, under £20 a bottle (just) and rather nice.

(If you want to spend a bit more, Johnnie Walker Green label on offer, or Glenfiddich 18 year old if Tescos are still doing it on offer for £30)

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, crap ADH – you ok? Where did that happen? Bloody muppets…

Bushmills Blackbush seems to be pretty universally appreciated. A blend of single malts (which isn’t what most blends are).

The Bushmills single malts are all great too.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cheers clubber. I’m comfortable enough thanks, we’ll see what fracture clinic ays tomorrow.

Filtering down the centre line of gloucester road up near the rovers stadium, i looked at her, she looked at me, she pulled out anyway …

craigxxl
    Free Member

Redbreast wonderful stuff. Bushmills Single and Blackbush both nice, Powers gold label again very nice. Midletons is a bit overrated I’ve still got half a bottle left from over 10 year ago as I’d rather have a Bushmills. Paddys isn’t bad either

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hope you mend soon ADH. Bugger!

I have nothing further to add other than there was a pub in Cork called The Black Bush. When upstairs was converted to a nightclub they called it…

The Bellybutton.

🙂

bentos
    Free Member

My vote goes for Red Breast. A delicious drop and both the 12 and 16 year old are worth a go.

chakaping
    Free Member

Bushmills Malt is marvellous and a very safe bet.

anagallis_arvensis

I know strictly speaking Scotland isnt in Ireland but I’ve recently been enjoying a Speyside Whiskey called Tamdhu which to my uneducated palate taste like Irish whiskey

wallop

Bumping an old thread instead of starting a new one.

The popular vote seems to be Red Breast. I need a chrimbob present for my dad – anyone know any reputable mail order booze companies?

samuri
    Free Member

I quite like Bushmills myself.

Sandwich

Nearest Waitrose for Red Breast. As I was told at Stansted when I couldn’t put a bottle by for collection when returning from Tenerife.

midlifecrashes

Bushmills 10yo is £20 in Sainsbury’s

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I stayed a week in Bundoran out of season surfing and this and that, after getting used to the local pubs that stopped serving food at 6 I tried the off licence and asked for a recomendation of a decent Irish. They just said everyone drinks the cheap stuff and so I followed suit 😀

Bat1
    Free Member

Black bush no option!!!!

sparkyrhino

paddy

cheers_drive

Another vote for Bushmills 10yr or Blackbush here

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Irish Whiskey recommendations’ is closed to new replies.