Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • iPhone 4 – O2 tariffs – weird
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html

Am I being stupid but is the cost for the phone really lower for the 18 month contract rather than the 24 month?

Milkie
    Free Member

They seem to be the right way around to me…

18 month contract is £5pm more expensive.

mr_krabs
    Free Member

disappointing to now see a limit on the data allowance.

highclimber
    Free Member

first of many to follow i reckon. pathetic way to make money IMO

tomzo
    Free Member

They look the wrong way round to me as well..

means the 18 motnh deal on £30 a month would cost you 749 compared to 879 for the 24 month contract
    BUT per month, the 24month contract is cheaper….£36 pounds compared to £41

So maybe it is the 'right' way round?

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I'm thick and slow, what's the difference between data and wifi?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Talking esp about the first column:

So 18 month contract cost: £30 * 18m + £129 = £669

24 month contract cost: £35 * 24m + £185 = £1025

(equiv for 18 months value on teh 24 month contract is 1025/25*18= £768

Therefore why bother getting the 24 month contract at all?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Data is mobile data i.e. slower 3G or HSPA

wifi is using the wifi capability which is usually faster but only in a wifi hotspot area (exluding private wifi areas like your home 🙂 )

ziggy
    Free Member

Second the limit on data, within months all networks are going to have limits on data so a good friend in the industry tells me. Trouble is with an iphone it's very easy to get past 500mb in a week let alone a month.

firestarter
    Free Member

i was told recently by an 02 bod that the limited data is only going to be on the iphone too which is poo (if you want an iphone anyway lol)

foxyrider
    Free Member

I heard all new tariffs are going capped date myself – old contracts staying the same until expiry?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Trouble is with an iphone it's very easy to get past 500mb in a week let alone a month.

I've used 3gb on my 3G in 11 months according to my settings, so I make that 273mb a month, yes?

mr_krabs
    Free Member

Trouble is with an iphone it's very easy to get past 500mb in a week let alone a month

you'd have to be streaming a lot of data to get past 500mb in a week. i generally use 300-400mb a month. that's with the odd day streaming digital radio and watching the cricket on sky.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am on about 30mg/week on my HTC HD2 at the mo!!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Talking esp about the first column:

(equiv for 18 months value on teh 24 month contract is 1025/25*18= £768

Therefore why bother getting the 24 month contract at all?

Am I the only one that thinks this is odd?

cp

Trouble is with an iphone it's very easy to get past 500mb in a week let alone a month.

Flippin eck, that's a lot of p*rn!!

My total usage is 8.6Gb, and I'm 15 months in to my 18mth contract… so thats 570 ish Mb per month. Blimey.. more than I thought, but not miles off the caps…

Milkie
    Free Member

Where are you guys getting the figures of 18 month = £30 / 24 month = £35 ?

I'm looking at the same page, and it shows the 24 month contracts to be £5 per month more expensive.

Or am I being stooopid? A high possibility! 😳

jim
    Free Member

You've got those the wrong way round. The 18 month contract is £35/m and the 24 month contract is £30/m.

cp

foxy – you've got your £/mth the wrong way round. the cheaper/mth value applies to the 24mth contract…

foxyrider
    Free Member

oops:

24 month contract cost: £25 * 24m + £185 = £785

So I guess as a whole package / months the 24 is cheaper sorry 🙂

Cheers CP – Need to go home now – failing at work 😉

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Anyone else use Yamgo for streaming TV?
    I'm using this more & more, mainly on wifi but I'm not sure on 3G how much it uses per hour….anyone know?

Milkie
    Free Member

I thought I was going crazy for a few minutes!

18 month contract works out £6.24 more expensive than 24 months for me.

I'm using this more & more, mainly on wifi but I'm not sure on 3G how much it uses per hour….anyone know?

I use TVCatchup for streaming live TV over 3G or Wifi. I have no idea on the data usage.

foxyrider
    Free Member

😳 Sorry

mr_krabs
    Free Member

get a simplicity sim now and buy PAYG that way you still get the unlimited data, and aren't tied down for 24 months

Milkie
    Free Member

I think O2 are offereing free Wi-Fi until October, but I could be wrong.

I've just checked that out for live TV. Check out TVCatchup, there are a lot more channels to choose from.

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup the other way but expect to pay £450 for the phone as you have to buy the phone PAYG cost aparently 🙂

Drac

Trouble is with an iphone it's very easy to get past 500mb in a week let alone a month

Only if it you use as a sole device and pretty much exclusive over cellular data rather than wifi. I hardly go near a few 100mb in a month if that.

robdob
    Free Member

The Orange deals are a bit cheaper and you get more data. So I'll be moving to them next week!!

My heart says White phone, my head says black. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr….

Milkie
    Free Member

Has everyone noticed that Vodafone is a lot cheaper? Approx £30 cheaper for the phone & 1gb of data rather than 500-750mb.

2.2Gb in 12 months on my 3GS, I was shocked it was soo low, the amount of times I've been watching TV over 3G 😯

My heart says White phone, my head says black. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr….

I think you can have it in any colour, as long as its black, the white one won't be for a wile yet.

mr_krabs
    Free Member

yup the other way but expect to pay £450 for the phone as you have to buy the phone PAYG cost aparently

Sim free prices are
    16GB – £499
    32GB – £599
    sim free iPhone 4 prices

Drac

So £499 + £15pm for 18 months = £769 with 100 mins of chat 'unlimited' data and txt

So dearer then. Bargain!

mr_krabs
    Free Member

So £499 + £15pm for 18 months = £769 with 100 mins of chat 'unlimited' data and txt

So dearer then. Bargain!

Unless you're using more than 500mb, and don't like being tied in for 18 months. That is the sim free price too, I'd expect the PAYG handsets to be cheaper too.

not to mention the prices worked out above are using the price for the 3GS and not the iphone 4. use the iphone 4 price and 18month contract is £20 cheaper

muggomagic

i reckon i might get a sim free one and flog the HTC desire. I've had this phone for all of 3 months now so starting to get bored of it 🙂

robdob
    Free Member
    CountZero

Orange ‘Unlimited’ is in fact capped at 750mb/month under their fair usage clause. I'm sticking with O2 – I have an O2 mast less than 150ft from my house, my local pub has free Cloud wifi, and Orange and Vodaphone have pretty shonky coverage where I live. I checked my usage, and I've used 6.6Gb over my 18 month contract, that's 366mb/month on average, and I often stream 6Music for three hours as well.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘iPhone 4 – O2 tariffs – weird’ is closed to new replies.