Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • "iPad 3 due in days"
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Glad I didn’t buy a 2 last month….

Considered getting an iPad 2 and GoPro for the skiing hols…

Costs aside, I’m glad we held off for next year

trail_rat
    Free Member

what are the advances going to be though thats what im more interested in than a name ….

form change ? better cameras i reckon …. hard to see what else they could do bar make it faster and more laptop like functionality which would be a down side for me

xiphon
    Free Member

Possibly a quad-core CPU? Higher graphics resolution?

chakaping
    Free Member
    cp

better resolution would be nice – going from my htc desire s to my sisters ipad 2 feels like quite a step back resolution wise.

scaredypants

USB hosting, SD slot are the main changes

duckman

Was there not chat about a smaller screen?

trail_rat
    Free Member

scaredy pants is that your dream list or a macrumour ….

will there be outrage when those things dont appear and people will feel cheated much like they were then the 4s was announced and it wasnt a 5 ….

rkk01
    Free Member

The most important upgrade???
    One of these

ETA – damn – beaten to it

scaredypants

😳
    (made up shite)

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh i wished for a usb when i was buying but tbh i very very rarely miss it ….. infact i cant think of a single time ive thought – if only this had a usb port …..but then i didnt buy it to replace a laptop……..

GrahamS

better resolution would be nice – going from my htc desire s to my sisters ipad 2 feels like quite a step back resolution wise.

The rumours are that the resolution will quadruple (i.e. double as many pixels horizontally and vertically).

If it does then I’ll buy one. The main thing holding me back from the whole eMagazine thing is crap resolution compared to print.

jam-bo

I’m getting three.

xiphon
    Free Member

The only problem with increasing the res is that apps will probably get broken, unless they’ve been designed with resolution scaling in mind.

Wasn’t the iPad 1 the same res as iPad 2?

vinnyeh

Suggestion that the price will increase for the new model, and a slight decrease for the ipad2 – with only an entry level model kept on sale, to make the Kindle Fire/ipad decision less price driven.

GrahamS

The only problem with increasing the res is that apps will probably get broken, unless they’ve been designed with resolution scaling in mind.

That’s why doubling horizontal and vertical makes sense. Makes it very easy to automatically scale up old apps by just doubling each pixel. They did the same thing with the iPhone when they doubled the res for the iPhone 4.

I think a fully-functioning USB port is highly unlikely by the way. It just doesn’t fit with the Apple philosophy (a closed system that works).

xiphon
    Free Member

Thunderbolt perhaps?

hilldodger
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    what are the advances going to be though …..

….. slightly better than the last one but not quite as good as the next one ?

rkk01
    Free Member

I think a fully-functioning USB port is highly unlikely by the way. It just doesn’t fit with the Apple philosophy (a closed system that works).

I agree, unfortunately. Just seems a PITA when everything else is USB connected.

I’d take an SD slot as an alternative though

GrahamS

Just seems a PITA when everything else is USB connected.

Yep, but that’s part of the problem. EVERYTHING is USB these days which either means you have to provide drivers for anything and everything that can be attached to a USB port, or you allow manufacturers to supply drivers, or you have a USB port that only works with a few select things.
    All of which confuses users and is a pain to support.

Yep that’d be good. They already have USB and SD with the Camera Connector so they could offer something like that built-in.

mogrim

Which would go against all Apple’s pricing strategy – can’t see that happening either.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep – i guess their phillosophy is buy a macbook air if you need those features ….

AlexSimon

My bet is that there will be no USB or SD.
    It’s all cloud innit.
    I’m hoping for increase in resolution though. After the iPhone 4, the iPad looks a little poor for reading.

Means more work for me, as companies will revisit iPad software for the increased resolution. Large Photoshop files will ensue 🙂

rkk01
    Free Member

Large Photoshop files will ensue

Requiring a decent means of file transfer 🙄

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Theres no way it’ll have a USB host or SD card slot. I used to want stuff like that back in the old Windows Mobile 2003 days, but it seems a bit unnecessary now. Its far easier to sync things with Dropbox or similar isn’t it?

GrahamS

Requiring a decent means of file transfer

Apps that use documents/files can have files dragged and dropped onto them while connected to iTunes. Not ideal, but it works.

Good apps can impement their own solutions of course:

I quite like AcePlayer (for playing video) it can connect to any UPnP/DLNA/Media servers on your wi-fi and download or stream video from them. It can also present itself as a webserver so your network can see it. Plus it operates as a Web, FTP or Samba client for downloading off the net.
    (Oh and it plays all the formats that QuickTime can’t handle, like WMV and XVid)

brassneck

If it does then I’ll buy one. The main thing holding me back from the whole eMagazine thing is crap resolution compared to print.

Main thing holding me back is accidentally dropping £500 worth down the Gary 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Requiring a decent means of file transfer “

i just email files back and forth these days – wifi is plenty quick…..

GrahamS

Are you in the habit of dropping magazines down the bog? 😕
    Wouldn’t like to be your plumber!

jam-bo

dropbox is the way to go. My laptop hasnt left the office in months.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, dropbox.

FWIW, I do like that I can plug USB things into my Android tablet even if it’s just occassionally but TBH with Apple pushing ‘cloud’ technology, it’d seem to be against their strategy to add a hardware connection that wasn’t already there.

GrahamS

I do like that I can plug USB things into my Android tablet even if it’s just occassionally

How does ‘droid deal with the drivers quandary I mentioned above? Does it allow custom drivers or do only certain generalised USB things work (like Mass Storage and Cameras)?

andytherocketeer

No SD slot would be the killer for me (well that and being forced to do things the apple way thru itunes). Especially when one of the main selling points is social viewing of photos on a bigger screen than a camera.

TBH, plug in messy dongles and cables isn’t really the Apple way. Mind you 90% of ipads never leave the home anyway, so using an ipad away from home to view pics is probably quite rare.

I’ll stick with my tablet with flip out (proper) keyboard that cost a fraction of the price and has 3x the number of USB ports as the Macbook Air, and runs apps for free, with a choice of “stores”…

GrahamS

No SD slot would be the killer for me

As mentioned there is an add-on SD slot for the existing iPads:

runs apps for free

I’m not aware of Apple charging me to run any apps…

sharkbait
    Free Member

No SD slot would be the killer for me (well that and being forced to do things the apple way thru itunes). Especially when one of the main selling points is social viewing of photos on a bigger screen than a camera.

The camera connector does that for you right now, quick and easy. Having had our iPad for 10 months I can think of nothing that I would need a USB slot for. Camera connector and Dropbox ticks all the boxes.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

If you *really* want to stick with the old outdated way of copying files around with memory sticks and SD cards, there is this..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEEWER-USB-SD-Reader-Apple/dp/B0052W2L6M/

EDIT d’oh, too slow

clubber
    Free Member

How does ‘droid deal with the drivers quandary I mentioned above? Does it allow custom drivers or do only certain generalised USB things work (like Mass Storage and Cameras)?

Er… to quote, ‘it just works’. No idea as I haven’t had to. I imagine more complex things would require a specific app to replicate drivers.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“tablet with flip out (proper) keyboard that cost a fraction of the price and has 3x the number of USB ports “

andyrocketeers tablet with flip out keyboard yesterday 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

If you *really* want to stick with the old outdated way of copying files around with memory sticks and SD cards,

The alternative being???

but TBH with Apple pushing ‘cloud’ technology, it’d seem to be against their strategy

And how to connect to this “cloud”???

The appeal of the tablet format has a lot to do with it’s portability – ie away from the house / wifi / itunes

trail_rat
    Free Member

via wifi or 3g ……

doesnt even have to be apples payed (after 5gb) for cloud system …..

i really like the link up though between cloud and my iphone – i can be in another country taking photos on my iphone and the mrs can view them just by turning on the tv via the cloud without me uploading them to anywhere. (now that may not be a huge concern for most people but im often in different countrys to the mrs)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘"iPad 3 due in days"’ is closed to new replies.