Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • "iPad 3 due in days"
  • grum
    Free Member

I’ll stick with my tablet with flip out (proper) keyboard that cost a fraction of the price and has 3x the number of USB ports as the Macbook Air, and runs apps for free, with a choice of “stores”…

Great. Good for you. 🙄

rkk01
    Free Member

via wifi or 3g

Useless then 😡 outside of the metropolis

I was working away last week in a part of this country where the most up to date network connection was this:

and yes, there was no handset…

trail_rat
    Free Member

and how long were you there that you couldnt live without uploading life to the world ……

i regularly work in shit holes with no data connections- not even phone signal and manage just fine …..

in ukraine i didnt even have power for a week ! – least of my worrys was how i was going to upload my photos to the world !

Drac

I’m going to wait for the the 4.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Theres also this wifi SD card, with apps for Android/iOS etc..

http://www.eye.fi/products/connectx2

brassneck

Are you in the habit of dropping magazines down the bog?

Habit, no. Has it happened? Yes, and I was pretty pleased it was C+ and not my iPad.

AlexSimon

Don’t you mean DD+ brassneck?

When I mentioned large photoshop files – obviously those reside on the development computer – not on the iPad!

If you want to use your iPad to process photos taken on another (non-wifi) camera, then I can imagine not being able to easily transfer them being a pain. I guess those SD devices listed above are all you need though.

rkk01
    Free Member

and how long were you there that you couldnt live without uploading life to the world ……

i regularly work in shit holes with no data connections- not even phone signal and manage just fine …..

And years ago we all used the phone box to call the office… (the younger staff are amazed, a bit like explaining the fax machine)

My point was, for a device marketed on portability, it is largely reliant on additional external supporting infrastructure.

GrahamS

My point was, for a device marketed on portability, it is largely reliant on additional external supporting infrastructure.

Yeah, what we need is a mobile device that can access the internet on the move without needing a mobile signal, wi-fi, or any “external supporting infrastructure”… 😕

Let me know if you have any idea how that might work!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Does this mean cheap iPad 2’s?

rkk01
    Free Member

Difference between “mobile device” (connectivity inferred) and portability… They are not one and the same.

We have been using “portable” devices for 20+ years at work – recording data, downloading loggers, etc, etc. They have never had a pretentions of mobile conectivity, by way of current understanding, but functioned very well in remote and hostile (to electronic kit)locations.

I don’t expect to take an iPad out into a wet, muddy field for that sort of work. I expect it to fulfill the modern “mobile device” requirements where 3G, 4G or wifi are available, but still expect it to be able to function to certain degree where these are not available…

As ^^ on this thread, an on my previous one about the iPad and GoPro, the camera connector kit is the obvious fix for my needs, but rather inelegant!

z1ppy

I doubt it the iPad 2 hardly reduced the price of the iPad 1 did it?

grum
    Free Member

If you want to use your iPad to process photos taken on another (non-wifi) camera, then I can imagine not being able to easily transfer them being a pain. I guess those SD devices listed above are all you need though.

It’s pretty damn easy, with a very small connector – it will happily read/edit RAW files from my 7D or GF1 as well.

I use my ipad all the time without using wifi or 3G – you can do other things than browse the net on it you know.

Useless then outside of the metropolis

Which device is it that you can use on the net without wifi or 3G? It must be very popular.

I don’t expect to take an iPad out into a wet, muddy field for that sort of work. I expect it to fulfill the modern “mobile device” requirements where 3G, 4G or wifi are available, but still expect it to be able to function to certain degree where these are not available…

It does – what is it that you think you should be able to do with no mobile/wifi signal that you can’t? 😕

sharkbait
    Free Member

Does this mean cheap iPad 2’s?

It’s Apple……. ‘cheap’ is not a word in their dictionary. Marginally less expensive may be the case but don’t expect 30% off as it ain’t never going to happen.

brassneck

Don’t you mean DD+ brassneck?

You’ve lost me, but trust me that isn’t hard 🙂

C+ = Cycling Plus

Gary_M
    Free Member

Don’t know why anyone would feel the need for a usb or sd slot, everything is available via iCloud.

iPad/iPhone user and never felt the need for either. The whole iCloud integration is amazing.

Brycey
    Free Member

I don’t expect to take an iPad out into a wet, muddy field for that sort of work.

We’re currently doing final trials on IP2s for use offshore on wind turbines. I’ve not seen one of the final versions yet, but apparently they have a semi-permanent rubber casing. These will get a fair bit of abuse in a relatively hostile environment.

zilog6128

lol @ USB/SD

trail_rat
    Free Member

like that ?

i have one on my iphone and its ugly as sin but carrying 600 quid phone around with me i want to be sure its reasonably resistant to the elements. looked at the ipad one and for my needs it makes it far far too bulky ! – might as well take the works laptop …..

Garry_Lager

iPad people – did that idea of writing and drawing on tablet pcs / pads with some sort of stylus take off? I assume it can be done but is it a slick and usable process, or something that is seen as not very useful?

I’d be thinking about drawing chemical structures out freehand and having the facility to save and edit them.

Brycey
    Free Member

I’ve not seen it, but I’d imagine so. It’s got to dangle from a harness so it’s probably got a screen cover.

jam-bo

the lifeproof ip67 rated ones look quite tidy.

trail_rat
    Free Member

gary lager – try sketchbook

ive had a play with it it seems to do what you ask – but i have no need for it haha

marionheck
    Free Member

Grum,

what photo editting tool do you use for RAW on the Ipad, I have never really bothered looking into photo editing on the ipad as i thought it was not really there, plus my camera used compact flash, but i am thinking of buying a new compact camera to carry aroudn with me which i am sure will have SD and woudl be interested in the possibility of editting and converting RAWs into Jpegs for blogging etc….

Many thanks

Dave

grum
    Free Member

Hi Dave, I use Filterstorm Pro, it’s really very impressive IMO and does most of what you can do in Lightroom. There is also a very impressive app called Snapseed that isn’t a full photo editor but is very powerful for quick edits with filters/film effects etc.

I have one of those Camera Connectors with USB socket on so you can connect a camera with compact flash via USB and take pictures off it that way. I’ve done it with my 5D and 7D (though it can take a little while especially with 18MP RAW files).

marionheck
    Free Member

Grum – thanks, will go and check it out. sadly and strangely i find the idea of being able to edit photos on my ipad exciting…. means i think i can do away with my laptop as that was the only thing I was really keeping it for. I think i might buy them all as they are not really expensive are they!

Cheers again

Dave

GrahamS

There is also a very impressive app called Snapseed that isn’t a full photo editor but is very powerful for quick edits

I use that on the iPhone. Excellent bit of software, written by the same guys that wrote Capture NX for Nikon (and allows similar “U-point” style editing too). Great for quickly tweaking phone pics before uploading them to facebook et al.

toby1

Keynote is booked for March 7th where the announcement will be. Until then just keep guessing a following the rumor mill – it’ll only be confirmed that day.

Yes it’ll mean cheaper 2’s (marginally anyway) not sure when it’ll hit UK shores though – late March I guess.

I’m not an Apple fanboi in the slightest, but I have high hopes for the ipad3. I’m just not sure how to appease my conscience re the way it was produced.

zilog6128

iPad people – did that idea of writing and drawing on tablet pcs / pads with some sort of stylus take off?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11666162 (although he uses his fingers not a stylus, which is of course what Apple originally intended. A stylus for an iPad is a solution in search of a problem IMO)

GrahamS

‘m just not sure how to appease my conscience re the way it was produced.

3 point plan:

Firstly rationalise it by realising that most of your electronics and a lot of clothes were probably made in similar or worse conditions.

Then justify it by telling yourself you are injecting money into very poor areas – so you’re actually helping.

Finally trivialise it by admitting that the tiny hands of those little orphans do some really great detail work.

deviant
    Free Member

Meh, i still dont get the whole tablet thing regardless of manufacturer….they all seem to be small laptops without some of a laptop’s features or very large and impractical smartphones.

They seem to be a solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

If i’m pressed for space i’ll take my smartphone….if i have enough space for a tablet then surely i can just take my laptop?

grum
    Free Member

Meh, i still dont get the whole tablet thing regardless of manufacturer….they all seem to be small laptops without some of a laptop’s features or very large and impractical smartphones.

If i’m pressed for space i’ll take my smartphone….if i have enough space for a tablet then surely i can just take my laptop?

Right, thanks for that.

deviant
    Free Member

Sorry for expressing an opinion….maybe i should just hand over my money like a good little consumer for a concept i am yet to be convinced by?

jam-bo

i didnt really see the point until I got one, now I rarely use anything else.

nealglover
    Free Member

Deviant,

You don’t need one then. Congratulations, you’ve just saved yourself £500+ !

Buy yourself something nice to celebrate :mrgreen:

deviant
    Free Member

jambo….so it is a replacement for a laptop?

I can see the point in that, what i cant envisage is having the need for both a laptop and a tablet if they have similar functions and features….particularly if one makes the other redundant as you say.

andytherocketeer

Don’t know why anyone would feel the need for a usb or sd slot, everything is available via iCloud.

Well apart from an iPhone, is there any camera in the world that has access to iCloud?
    I could believe that wifi may be on the odd camera here or there, and presumably one or other might be able to create an adhoc network.

Putting in an SD slot is hardly going to spoil the sleek lines for the Starbucks crowd, and certainly no more than the proprietary interface connector on the side. Would make viewing and copying photos a lot easier while away from home.

Only other use I might put it to is velcro’d to the back of the bog door, for surfing while taking an Eartha.

Oh and lol @ that pic, but my netbook is black and would never have Windoze installed on it in a million years (although I did consider making it a hackintosh, for all of about 5 minutes).

clubber
    Free Member

There’s quite a big gap between a phone (which I use quite a lot for browsing as it goes) and a laptop. I have all three and they all get used for different things. The tablet is great for browsing where the phone’s too small but the laptop is too bulky – eg reading electronic mags or kindle books, etc or just lying on the sofa where holding a laptop is awkward. A laptop is quite a lot bigger and heavier than a tablet.

zilog6128

OK. Don’t let the thread’s door bang your arse on the way out 🙄

GrahamS

Form factor matters a lot I think.

Lie in bed. Now try holding your laptop above your head to read an ebook or magazine.

Try the same on the couch. Lounging and holding your laptop in one hand to read, using the other one to flick through stuff.

it’s not that you can’t do these things with a laptop (especially one that can rotate the screen and has a touch-sensitive display) it’s just that it is nicer to do on a tablet.

It’s just a “better mousetrap” for that kind of use.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘"iPad 3 due in days"’ is closed to new replies.