• This topic has 90 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by drlex.
Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • iOS9 and Ad Blockers
  • footflaps

I smell a rat, he’s pulled the app as he’s been paid off / the app bought. Think about it Google would pay $50, $100m, $200m ?

He doesn’t have a monopoly, anyone can write an iOS Advertising blocker using the new Ad blocking API in Safari.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

In relation to content blocking extensions on iOS9:

Note that not all iOS devices are supported that can run iOS 9: only those with 64-bit processors. This excludes the iPhone 4s, 5, and 5c; the iPad 2, 3rd-generation iPad, and 4th-generation iPad; 1st-generation iPad mini; and the 5th-generation iPod touch. All later devices work

Oh 🙁

From Macworld

jambalaya
    Free Member

But one that works this well ? Not sure and you could well be right, time will tell

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He doesn’t have a monopoly, anyone can write an iOS Advertising blocker using the new freeloading API in Safari.

Do apple not still control who can publish?

GrahamS

He recommended two competitor products in his blog:

https://www.purify-app.com/ and http://crystalapp.co/

So I’m not sure what he hopes to achieve as obviously someone will fill the gap – but I admire his morals though. That is potentially quite a serious amount of money he just threw away.

Do apple not still control who can publish?

They vet apps for the App Store – but given they just introduced this new ad block API then I suspect they’ll be happy to see apps written for it.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m seeing a lot of mentions of freeloading in this thread. Is the forum software changing ad block, adblock, or adblocking to freeloading? Or are people just being careful to avoid mentioning the unmentionable?

Edit: That’ll be a yes then :p

aracer
    Free Member

Yes, the forum software changes ?d blocking to ad blocking and ?d block to ad block 😉

Sandwich

What about content blocker & content blocking

EDIT They currently work until the filter changes 8)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Indeed, seems rather punitory action to take to replace the word ad_blocker with free_loader considering I’m a subscriber..

But carry on, sure you have your reasons for taking that action.

GrahamS

u have your reasons for taking that action.

A sense of humour?

FWIW i think it used to also change “football” to “cheese rolling” 🙂

drlex
    Free Member

That is potentially quite a serious amount of money he just threw away

As former CTO & co-developer of Tumblr, I doubt he lives from day to day. I believe he’s given his code to Ghostery, so expect it to pop back on the store soon.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘iOS9 and Ad Blockers’ is closed to new replies.